Author Topic: Bench PSU options?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline crashtest84Topic starter

Bench PSU options?
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:23:38 am »
I'm taking an EE class this summer as a distance course and we're required to buy an Elenco XP581. I'd rather make sure to get a PSU that I'll want to use long after the course is over and I've seen positive reviews on the KORAD KA3305D. Any suggestions on what might make one better than the other? Other options?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Bench PSU options?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:12:49 am »
The Elenco is a quad supply but very limited features and three of the outputs fixed.

The Korad is a triple supply and looks digitally controlled with one output fixed. It also seems to have parallel and series mode plus should be able to be configured for combined positive and negative voltages. There is a usb and serial interface on the rear. So quite a few more features, and from reading seriously small manual the current can be set and also configured to turn off the output if a specific current is exceeded.

You're only really going to get caught out if you're asked to supply +5 +12 -12 and some other voltage all at once. I would say if you have a spare PC power supply handy and the Korad you could account for most situations.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: crashtest84

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 03:49:43 pm »
how about this?

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:09:44 pm »
You really ought to sleeve all those soldered connections.  It currently looks like a loosely assembled pile of future short circuits.

Offline crashtest84Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 02:14:21 am »
Awesome. I do have one or two PC power supplies laying around somewhere so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf