Author Topic: Benchtop supply replacement cables  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Jay112Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Benchtop supply replacement cables
« on: May 14, 2016, 02:25:05 pm »
I have one of these cheap Chinese benchtop power supplies (http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-1A-DC-Power-Supply-Precision-Variable-Adjustable-Regulated-Cell-Phone-Repair-/321105942440), which I know isn't ideal.

So far it's working well for my purposes, with the only problem being that the probe connectors keep falling out of the unit, since there doesn't seem to be a good connection there.

I remember vaguely that a few months ago I had read on this forum that it's common to replace the cables on those cheap supplies, and that the new cables fit better into the sockets. I tried searching for that information but couldn't find it.

Do you have any suggestions for replacement cables for a power supply?

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Benchtop supply replacement cables
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 02:35:40 pm »
They look like screw down terminals with a central 4mm socket.  If its critical to avoid accidental disconnections, use crimp on fork terminals on whatever leads you make up.  Alternatively most unshielded banana plugs should be fine. 

The probe leads illustrated have half-length safety shields and aren't compatible with those terminals unless you trim the shields off and even then may be too short for reliable retention - check the socket depth with a matchstick and compare to the plug pin length before you butcher them.  (Not that you want probe tipped leads on a bench PSU - croc clip ended ones are far more practical, or make dedicated leads with fork terminals for each project)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf