Author Topic: Delete Delete Delete  (Read 19096 times)

Offline The_Almighty_Bacon_LordTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
Delete Delete Delete
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:31:13 am »
Delete Delete Delete
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:20:01 pm by The_Almighty_Bacon_Lord »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: Best Oscilloscope Under $100 CAD?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 04:23:09 am »
Your only hope is to get lucky on an ebay sale or other sale.  Buy an oscilloscope that is in not working and repair it.  It is not as impossible as it seems as there are good descriptions here in this blog and other web sources for fixing the common problems of a number of these scopes.  It is often just a matter of cleaning contacts and replacing common parts (electrolytic capacitors, diodes).

Actually there are two other options.  One is using the audio card in your computer with one of the free software oscilloscopes.  It won't do all the things you want to do, and in fact will have real limitations in doing any of it, but the price is right and will get you started in understanding what you can do with an oscilloscope.  The other is to find someone willing to give you something.  In fact, if you can come pick it up in southern Oregon I can set you up with something.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 05:15:24 am »
I have one of these and checked it against a Rigol 1054

and it is dead on within its specs and is fun to use.  Better than a cheap USB   Read up on what it can do.

https://www.amazon.com/DSO-Coral-112A-DSO112A-Tech/dp/B01BMYS10S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481433061&sr=8-1&keywords=dso112a

If you get one make sure you get it from JYETech
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 05:25:41 am »
For a new scope at that price,  I think your best bet would be the Hantek 6022be USB scope.  Have a look at this thread .  You can find them on eBay for less than $60 USD.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:10:18 am »
Hey everyone! I've posted a few questions on here in the past, and I'm posting another one.

Anyway, I'm a nooby, and really want to get an Oscilloscope this holiday break. However, I don't have a lot to spend; only $100, AT MOST (I cannot go any higher, no matter what). What would be the best scope for under $100? I plan to take a lot of single-sample captures, checking out signals from boost/buck converters, and checking out PSU outputs . Later on, when I know more about electronics, I, of course, plan to do a lot more with my scope, so i'd like for it to also have features that I'd most likely use in the future.  I don't care whether it's controlled by a separate PC, or if the display is built-in.

So... What is the best Oscilloscope under $100 CAD?

What you need to find is a used Analog Discovery.  They're often used as required equipment for classes at Uni, such as USask EE204

Hence...  Kijiji.ca search for Analog Discovery, in Saskatoon .   That's where I got mine for CAD $100 :-)

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:38:43 am »
If you're looking in USB scope territory then the OWON VDS1022 (or for preference the 1022i isolated version if your $100 would stretch that far) will outperform the Hantek 6022be both in performance and usability.

www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/

Other than that, a lucky second-hand buy, either Analogue or DSO looks like your only option.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 11:23:32 am »
I plan to take a lot of single-sample captures...

Analogue scopes are out.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 11:37:03 am »

Analogue scopes are out.

Nonsense. What do you think people did before DSOs became ubiquitous? Why do all decent analog scopes have single-shot horizontal modes? You need a proper camera and the knowledge to use it together with the knowledge to use the scope properly.

I've bought three decent analog scopes for around 100 CDN each, from Active Surplus on Queen St. in Toronto. Tek 2213a and two Philips units. You can try before you buy there. And nowadays you can get a pair of adequate 100MHz 1x-10x probes for less than 25 dollars on Ebay.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 01:29:16 pm »
That's going to depend on the signals involved.  Very short events are going to be a challenge ... and if the OP is going to make "a lot" of such samples, it could become very tiring very quickly.

Yes, it can be done - but it assumes they will have a camera - and one with adequate facilities for the job.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »
Analogue scopes are out.

Not quite. There are analogue storage scopes which are good for both single-shot and slow timebases. Some still work :)

But slow/single shot is one of the few killer use-cases for DSOs :)

If the OP can get the educational discount, and 10MHz is suitable for his signals, then the Digilent Analog Discovery is hard to beat - especially since you also get an AWG, VNA, SA, logic generator/analyser thown in.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Lee Leduc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 02:27:28 pm »
You might want to look at the offerings at Syscomp Design. These may meet your needs.

They offer a USB instrument similar to the Analog Discovery, not as fast but less money.

For $85 USD, http://www.syscompdesign.com/CircuitGear-Mini_p_29.html

For $189 USD, http://www.syscompdesign.com/CGR-201_ep_62-1.html

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 02:59:33 pm »
They might do, but their bandwidth and sample rates are low... 2Msps and 40Msps respectively (though at higher bit resolution). The Owon VDS1022 and Sigilent Analog Discovery are both 100Msps.
Best Regards, Chris

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 03:44:21 pm »
Analog discovery is 14bit...

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 04:07:07 pm »
If you're a YouTube user, be sure to subscribe to the channel, especially since Dave just made a new budget EE lab video. At 1:30 he offers some scope suggestions:

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 09:12:30 pm »
Don't forget about shipping costs!  They'll kill your $100 budget.

Since you're in Toronto, you might be able to score a used scope locally.  If not, forget standard analog or digital scopes.  Your only option is a USB scope of some sort.  That will limit your options, but it's the best you'll be able to afford.

My advice is to be patient and watch for a good, used scope locally.  I know you want one NOW, but if you're willing to wait for a few months you stand a good chance of getting a really good deal.  Remember that a local scope means no shipping costs!

Analog or digital is a secondary matter.  Look for the features you need at your price point.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 09:20:44 pm »
https://rochester.craigslist.org/sop/5870403296.html

It pays to watch Craigslist and Kijiji

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 01:07:29 am »
I've seen working versions of this Chinese kit for about CD$30 and its good enough to see waveforms stably, if you get get it local you are golden.  Its similar to Vellemans handheld DSO or the DSO nano.  Check around the Pacific Mall in Toronto.  Useful to 100kHz analog bandwidth for general education and common PSU designs you mention.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Assembled-DSO138-2-4-TFT-Digital-Oscilloscope-Kit-DIY-parts-1Msps-probe-M-/152224793929?var=&hash=item23714e0549:m:m0SgGSlnU9TXwT1OOkunbCg

US Sellers:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=TFT%20Digital%20Oscilloscope%20Kit&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Used retail at A1, great place been there forever, try before you buy, talk to the guys at the store

http://www.a1parts.com/Used%20Equipment/Equipments.htm

Enjoy.

Hey everyone! I've posted a few questions on here in the past, and I'm posting another one.

Anyway, I'm a nooby, and really want to get an Oscilloscope this holiday break. However, I don't have a lot to spend; only $100, AT MOST (I cannot go any higher, no matter what). What would be the best scope for under $100? I plan to take a lot of single-sample captures, checking out signals from boost/buck converters, and checking out PSU outputs . Later on, when I know more about electronics, I, of course, plan to do a lot more with my scope, so i'd like for it to also have features that I'd most likely use in the future.  I don't care whether it's controlled by a separate PC, or if the display is built-in.

So... What is the best Oscilloscope under $100 CAD?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:18:53 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 06:14:26 am »
This is the one in Dave's video

https://www.amazon.com/Owon-VDS1022I-USB-Oscilloscope-Isolation/dp/B00HC4UP52/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1481410049&sr=8-1&keywords=owon+usb+oscilloscope&linkCode=sl1&tag=ee04-20&linkId=11dbe5f434ad351c738cf040a2c780c4

but it is over your budget

That's the model with USB isolation - nice but not necessary. The Owon VDS1022 without that feature is less than $100.

I don't think Dave was pushing that particular budget USB scope - just the idea that a budget USB scope was a reasonable choice for a very small budget.

As I posted earlier I think the best bet in that category would be the Hantek 6022be USB scope. There's a a lengthy thread here about it and you can find them on eBay for less than $60 USD.

Of course if one was lucky enough to find an Analog Discovery for less than $100 CAD then that's a great choice but even student pricing is higher than that.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:42:11 am »
I wonder what the OP will get?   I remember a similar post and I think the limit was also $100 and the OP ended up getting a Rigol Dz1054  :palm:
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 11:56:46 am »
As I posted earlier I think the best bet in that category would be the Hantek 6022be USB scope. There's a a lengthy thread here about it and you can find them on eBay for less than $60 USD.

At this price range it's even more important to check the specs and internal details with a fine tooth comb. For instance the VDS1022 has such luxuries as AC coupling that the Hantek doesn't have ( ???) and a rather more realistic 100Msps for it's quoted 25MHz bandwidth rather than 48Msps for the quoted 20MHz on the Hantek. There's much more going on in the Hardware (FPGA controlled with on-board buffering rather than a basic Cypress EZ-USB micro), Hantek quotes 1MB buffer but that's just some arbitrary S/W buffer size they picked on the PC, not device memory, in reality it doesn't have any. This makes it far more reliant on USB performance and s/w polling (detailed in the Hantek thread). Check out the VDS1022 teardown thread and discussion that I linked in reply #5.

Sorry to say it, but if you've set yourself a $100 max limit, then you need to squeeze every cent of that limit to get the best capability (= useful life to you) that you can. Either that or just blow your limit out of the water and get a Rigol as ez24 said the other guy did. Either way, please come back put us out of our misery. Edit: Of course I'm talking 'new' here, the second-hand working or fixable 'lucky strike' is still the other viable option.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:32:39 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 03:43:19 pm »

At this price range it's even more important to check the specs and internal details with a fine tooth comb. For instance the VDS1022 has such luxuries as AC coupling that the Hantek doesn't have ( ???) and a rather more realistic 100Msps for it's quoted 25MHz bandwidth rather than 48Msps for the quoted 20MHz on the Hantek. .......

Yes, yes , all true. The problem is that the OP explicitly stated an absolute limit of $100 CAD which is about $76 USD.  The VDS 1022 is more than that. The Hantek isn't.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 07:21:10 pm »
Damn, so close! - I hadn't specifically been onto ebay.ca to have a look. Sorting by lowest price+shipping there is one at the C$115.99, free shipping from China which is a Buy it Now or Best Offer. We might not be beaten yet!  :D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OWON-VDS1022-USB-25MHz-100MS-s-USB-PC-Digital-Storage-Portable-Oscilloscope-/121791724152?hash=item1c5b5a3a78:g:w5QAAOxygPtSt-Xo

No connection with the seller but trade_spotting have a pretty good feedback rating.

P.S. I have absolutely no idea about whether there are any local customs charges or whatever applied in Canada for shipments from China.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:28:50 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 08:38:44 pm »
There's this one in Pickering along with a bare bones sig-gen for $125
https://ca.letgo.com/en/i/2-electronic-devices_bcd39db6-a080-4526-89e0-e181e24b8788

I'd think you could talk the seller down to $100, based on this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscope-calibration-issue/

Don't know if it's good or bad, but this thing sold with more badges than anyone could imagine!
Tenma 72-720, Elenco MO-1251, Hung Chang OS-620, Neotronics OS-620, JDR Model 2000
A-1 Electronics, AW Sperry 620C, Tenma 72-320, Dick Smith Q-1240, Aron BS-601, Degem System 112,
Ramsey Model 2200, KB Electronics Model 33330, OMRON PAN-8022, Ramsey BS-601

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf