Author Topic: Best practice to get a -1V supply from 3.3V/5V?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Best practice to get a -1V supply from 3.3V/5V?
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:09:18 pm »
For an OpAmp circuit, I want to create a small negative voltage to be able to reach 0V on the output.
While it's easy to invert e.g. a 3.3V supply with an ICL7660, MAX660 or some discrete charge pump circuit, this will end in e.g. -3.3V, where I just want -1V.
Problem is that most OPs are specified for 6V (Vdd-Vss), so if the positive supply is 5V, the negative supply most not be smaller -1V.
Using an OpAmp with a wider supply range limits the choices quite a bit and in my case would about twice the cost for slightly worse parameters (like offset voltage).
So I would prefer to get something like -0.5 to -1V from the negative supply. I yes, I know about phantom grounds and virtual grounds, but for the moment, I'd rather use a negative supply.

Now I could use e.g. a LM337 to get a voltage closer to-1V, but it's limited -1.25V. Just slightly out of nominal operation condition for e.g. an MCP607x , but still out.
Also e.g. the MAX660 doesn't work for input voltages smaller than 1.5V, so assuming no losses in the inverter, I can't get -1V by using a voltage regulator before the charge pump either.
I guess I could go on further by using a diode or a voltage divider with a voltage follower, but this seems like adding a hell of complexity for something as simply as a low current -1V supply.

So what would be the best practice approach to create -1V from e.g. a 5V supply (while keeping the 6V difference between 5V and -1V)?

Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best practice to get a -1V supply from 3.3V/5V?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 12:28:57 pm »
I'd use a capacitive charge pump with a flying capacitor and clamp the voltage to -1v with a BAV99 or similar. You will need a simple oscillator that can source and sink current. A 555 would work but you may well be able to one of the digital outputs of a micro if you have one available. I'd use an operating frequency of about 10khz.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:48:18 pm »

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:22:28 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Then again, being a lazy sloth, I think I'll try the LM7705.
Sounds like the most elegant solution. One part plus three caps. And the fixed  ?0.232V is just fine.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 08:34:20 pm »
Hello,

I would try a LT1054 (regulated voltage inverter).

With best regards

Andreas

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:11:49 am »
Won't most cheap maxim negative solutions work with a zener-resistor combo output to get the job done?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf