Author Topic: BEST SENSOR?  (Read 3646 times)

Offline muddyTopic starter

BEST SENSOR?
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:33:57 pm »
What is the best motion activated sensor for use in daylight?
Also where is a good site to purchase them from?
I have heard that some sensors will only work efficiently in the dark or overcast conditions.

Offline ianriley0

Re: BEST SENSOR?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 04:31:22 pm »
I think you need to explain the project a little more- without the use case, "BEST" is an adjective that doesn't really mean anything

The following users thanked this post: muddy

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:42:36 pm »
Do you mean PIR detector? An IR detector for daylight?

There are many models that support daylight, they tend to be expensive since they have a few extra features:
1. Multiple PIR sensors - so only and upright target (human) is detected and not animals.
2. They compensate for sunlight, even direct.
3. They have louvers on their lens so you can set detection areas.
4. Weather proofed and UV resistant plastics.

Cheaper versions are just waterproof curtain detectors.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 01:18:46 am »
You do need to be a bit more specific about your need.  Motion can be detected by more than one means and the specific situation will define very important parameters.  These parameters are essential to be able to suggest any sensor, let alone the best one for your application.

For example, I might suggest the best motion sensor is a mercury switch.  Attach it horizontally to a bike and any movement of the bike will make it operate.

However, I suspect you are after something quite different - but suspicions can only lead to guesses as to what might be suitable, let alone what people would consider the "best".

More information required.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 01:29:26 am »
Doppler radar is the most sensitive that I've experienced.
Commonly referred to as microwave sensors and used in high security environments where high sensitivity is paramount.
One I installed years back would detect the wiggle of a finger @ 10 meters.  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:09:33 am »

There are many models that support daylight, they tend to be expensive since they have a few extra features:
1. Multiple PIR sensors - so only and upright target (human) is detected and not animals.

Sorry Guys, I'm new at this! I am looking for a small PIR sensor that will work outdoors in bright conditions and maybe in sunlight. It would be to detect people passing by, not animals. The point of the sensor is to activate a short 10 second message and some small LED lights to draw peoples attention to a display. A detection distance of 3 metres would be adequate.
I was thinking of buying a ready made audio playback unit, which has a poor sensor (works best in the dark or dull coditions) and replacing it with a recommended sensor that would meet my requirements. It looks as thought I might need a new lens also from what has been said? I expect there are negatives to this which I am totally unaware of, so please feel free to advise me in anyway you can. Any advice will be gratefully received. :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:35:42 am »

Sorry Guys, I'm new at this! I am looking for a small PIR sensor that will work outdoors in bright conditions and maybe in sunlight. It would be to detect people passing by, not animals. The point of the sensor is to activate a short 10 second message and some small LED lights to draw peoples attention to a display. A detection distance of 3 metres would be adequate.
I was thinking of buying a ready made audio playback unit, which has a poor sensor (works best in the dark or dull coditions) and replacing it with a recommended sensor that would meet my requirements. It looks as thought I might need a new lens also from what has been said? I expect there are negatives to this which I am totally unaware of, so please feel free to advise me in anyway you can. Any advice will be gratefully received. :)
PIR is the way to go for your needs. Some of the outdoor security types have a "test" mode that enables activation in full daylight and switch a light for ~3 seconds. This mode is for the adjustment of the parameters of direction and sensitivity and could be used to trigger your message,
You could also use an alarm PIR, these are only 12V units though and even their relays are only signal level rated so you'd need to buffer it up to drive a relay for your needs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 10:54:26 am »
The Bosch OD-850 sholud do the trick, I have a couple here and have installed quite a few for customers without any issues in all sorts of environments, as well as the alarm relay they also incorporate an additional onboard timed relay to trigger other devices such as flood lights, buzzers, etc.

Otherwise a set of photo electric beams in some circumstances are a valid option if you have cabling access to each side of the thoroughfare, if not then reflective beams become a further option and if mounted at the correct height false triggers from animals should not be an issue except for birds which can occasionally trip certain beam types. 

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 12:06:16 pm »
Thanks for your continued input.
Just to clarify my situation, I am not a commercial enterprise trying to drum up business, I am just a retiree trying to eke out an existence and enjoy the hobby of metal detecting. I have a display of some of my finds, which I like to share with others, if they are interested. Hence my previous post dated 5th Sept.
The display will be on a table so the sensor is unlikely to be set off by animals. I am looking for a small discreet sensor that can be concealed within my display and can trigger a 10second message and flashing L.E.D. lights for 10 seconds simultaneously. It would also need to conceal the battery, speaker and circuitry, so as small as possible while meeting my criteria is needed.
If I bought a ready made unit that will give a 10 sec. message, triggered by a PIR sensor, would I be able to attach flashing L.E.D. lights and use the same circuitry?
If not what would I need to make it work?
If I needed to change the PIR sensor as it only works well in dark or poor light to a more efficient PIR sensor, would it be easy enough to change and use the same circuitry?
I am sorry I am so naive about these things, but I am an absolute beginner who has probably bitten off more than he can chew. I am grateful for any ideas or suggestions that may help, given my situation and needs. :)

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 02:02:33 pm »
In bright daylight, PIR wasn't springing to my mind, but rather an ultrasonic motion detector was...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:04:39 pm by jitter »

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:26 pm »
Optex outside PIR sensors are the ones I installed on the Balconies... http://www.optex.co.jp/e/sec/outdoor/lineup.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf