Author Topic: Best things to get as a Beginner  (Read 2794 times)

Offline AndyP.Topic starter

Best things to get as a Beginner
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:59:42 pm »
I am just beginning my career as a Hobbyist and I had a few questions on what gear I should get.

I of coarse know I should probably get an multi-meter, and I am going to get one. But I wanted some advice on what i should get.

I also am looking into getting an Oscilloscope but I don't know what to get. I was looking at the Sigilent SDS 1202X as it seemed like a pretty competent scope for it's price but I don't know if it is the right thing for me to get. I love having great gear and being able to tinker with it. I am the type that loves lots of features.

I also am looking at getting a 3D printer to print prototype cases to house my prototype boards for my projects and little handy devices. but I just don't know what to get.

what I plan on doing mainly is developing devices for android, because I develop Apps for Android devices and I love the platform very much. that and I am a PC Gaming Enthusiast and I love it! but there are times when something will breakdown but I want to know if it is possible if i can fix it myself, but I don't have the testing equipment to be-able to do such a thing. my current budget is between $2000-$3000 US dollars (Lower is better regarding price for equipment)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Best things to get as a Beginner
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:34:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Where to start?
If you have little gear there is much basic stuff you will need.
Basic tools, pliers, side cutters, long nose, screwdrivers, soldering iron and a selection of tips, LEADED solder, hookup wire, jumper leads, grabbers, magnifing headset? and the list goes on....

The bigger items;
Bench and illumination.
PSU or two?
Rework or hot air station.
DMM or two? For US$50 there is quite a selection, study this thread for the more robust units:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hear-kitty-kitty-kitty-nope-not-that-kind-of-cat/

DSO. I'd be surprised if a 100 MHz unit wouldn't meet your needs.
Be aware, a DSO has only the basic probes supplied, if you need to do advanced work you may need much more expensive probes, some several times more than a DSO cost.

Others will no doubt will add to that I have suggested.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline MikeW

• Regular Contributor
  • Self confessed noob
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 08:40:44 pm »
I don't mean to be rude but I think you personally need to narrow down your objectives a bit more before anyone can give meaningful advice on appropriate gear.

You've gone from hobbyist electronics to 3d printing to android app/device development in one post. There's a whole warehouse full of stuff that could potentially apply to these fields.

To be fair I skim read that a little, still, developing apps is a huge subject that could take a huge variety of gear depending on what your app is trying to achieve.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:43:35 pm by MikeW »

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:41:40 pm »
I also am looking into getting an Oscilloscope but I don't know what to get.

Rigol. A Rigol MSO2072A, on sale right now at tequipment.net for $929 with a special discount code. The Rigol 2000 series can be software hacked to 300 MHz. Alternatively if that is out of your budget get a DS1054Z, these can be software hacked to 100 MHz. Lastly if you need four high speed channels then I recommend the MSO4014, this can be software hacked to 500 MHz, this one is also on sale right now for $2594.

Was the 3D printer included in your $3000 budget? If so that might not be doable without making significant compromises on quality and performance.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:30:35 pm by nbritton »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 09:50:54 pm »
$2000-3000 is way too much for a beginning hobbyist to spend on electronics equipment. Unless of course, someone else is paying or you have won a lottery or something along those lines.

Start with the basics. A power supply and two cheap meters for less than a couple of hundred dollars is plenty. When you reach the point where you know enough to know what you need, then spend the big bucks.

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 12:26:09 am »
buy some component kits of ebay (resistors, leds, caps, diodes, etc) a multimeter or two, a power supply, soldering iron, solder, a breadboard and some tools (pliers, cutters, screw drivers)
thats what i started with :-+

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 01:25:54 am »
You've probably seen this before, but I'll put it here:

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 01:28:47 am »
Also, since you have quite a bit of money, this forum thread might be helpful for your decisions:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mid-range-electronics-lab-setup/  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf