Author Topic: Beware when buying DMMs on ebay, fuses ain't cheap!  (Read 20089 times)

Offline cthreeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Beware when buying DMMs on ebay, fuses ain't cheap!
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »
So I thought I scored a great deal on a Fluke 87III DMM on eBay for $100. $20 in shipping and I was set.

However...both fuses are blown! Doh! That's $100 from Digikey to replace those bringing the total closer to $220, more than double the purchase cost.

If you are buying a used multimeter, like a Fluke 87 or similar, make sure you ask to see it measuring current (on both channels in the case of a Fluke 87 et al).

It can really add up to replace those. $45 for the 11A fuse, $36 for the 440mA fuse. $8 in shipping plus tax and ouch!

This is probably just a rookie mistake on my part. Oh well.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Beware when buying DMMs on ebay, fuses ain't cheap!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:45:33 pm »
For those wanting HRC fuses and don't want to spend more than the meter:
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/amprobe/accessories/fuses.htm
FP410    Amprobe FP410 11A/1000V Fuse    1000V    11A    pack of 2    $15.15
FP412    Amprobe FP412 FA.44A/1000A/10001A    1000V 44A   pack of   2    $16.10

or

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/uei/accessories/fuses.htm
AF38 440mA, 1000V Fuse  qty:1   Sale  $7.95
AF39    DM391
DM393    11A, 1000V Fuse  qty:1   Sale $7.95

Plus shipping of course.

If you are buying a new multimeter, it is always best to buy at least one spare set of fuses at the same time.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:51:24 pm »
Those fuses can be found on ebay for a lot less.  One Source of Fuses

When I bought a supposedly fully tested Fluke 87-V that turned out to have a blown 44/100 A fuse I asked the seller for a partial refund and referenced another ebay seller who had them.  He refunded enough of my money to buy the fuse.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:04:40 pm »
That is a great deal! A great deal if you live in the US :(  They won't ship outside of the US.....

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
I found prices vary wildly for these DMM fuses, apparently for the same thing - it pays to look around. For example, compare:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multimeter-fuses/2010251/
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cartridge-fuses/4597918/

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:35:07 pm »
That's very expensive; new fuses at worst at $20 each delivered in the USA.  Typically you can get them for about half that.  If the fuses are blown you'd also best check the DMM carefully, to insure it wasn't damaged by the previous owner.

The fuses are made by Bussman specifically for DMM, and via reputable dealers in the USA, range from $5-8 each.

http://www.amazon.com/DMM-11A-Fluke-Digital-multimeter-replacement/dp/B007QU1TQQ/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Be careful about buying fuses on eBay, a good number are counterfeit, as there is no way to check a fuse for authenticity except by careful comparison of its construction, or destructive testing.  So, spend the extra few dollars and get it from an authorized distributor for Fluke.

So I thought I scored a great deal on a Fluke 87III DMM on eBay for $100. $20 in shipping and I was set.

However...both fuses are blown! Doh! That's $100 from Digikey to replace those bringing the total closer to $220, more than double the purchase cost.

If you are buying a used multimeter, like a Fluke 87 or similar, make sure you ask to see it measuring current (on both channels in the case of a Fluke 87 et al).

It can really add up to replace those. $45 for the 11A fuse, $36 for the 440mA fuse. $8 in shipping plus tax and ouch!

This is probably just a rookie mistake on my part. Oh well.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:00:16 am »
Are you sure the prices on digikey that you are seeing aren't for quanity = 5?

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/circuit-protection/electrical-specialty-fuses/656626?k=fluke%20fuse

The ones that are $45 I see are for quantity = 5.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 05:43:25 am »
Shipping from USA to Canada is usually brutal. Digikey charges $8 for overnight, $0 if you spend over $200.

These are the two fuses I found for the Fluke 87:

http://www.digikey.ca/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=F5081-ND  $37  qty 1
http://www.digikey.ca/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=F5082-ND  $45  qty 1

The BUSSMANN fuses are a little less but non-stocked and qty 10 min.

retiredcaps has the correct links. Why they are 8x the price when you look in the wrong category for the same parts kinda pisses me off. There is a big difference between 8+6 and 45+37 for the exact same parts,

Stupid. I'll definitely get the Fluke branded ones for 1/8th the price of the OEM branded ones. Thanks for the find, I totally missed it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:52:51 am by cthree »

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 05:48:04 am »
Those $40 Digikey items say "Standard Package   10" so maybe that's 10 fuses?  It does look confusing.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor

• Frequent Contributor

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:56:01 am »

However...both fuses are blown! Doh!
If you don't mind sharing the actual auction, let's see the seller description.

If it is listed as "works perfectly", then I would complain about the blown fuses and ask the seller to refund $20 to help pay for new fuses.

If there is no disclaimer regarding the fuses or "as is" clause, then chances are the seller listed the item as used.  If yes, used on ebay means

"An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended."

Note the words "fully operational".

Offline mikes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 01:59:42 pm »
pack of 5, fluke branded, $23 at mouser. Or you can  buy 1 for $9.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 02:18:27 pm »

However...both fuses are blown! Doh!
If you don't mind sharing the actual auction, let's see the seller description.

If it is listed as "works perfectly", then I would complain about the blown fuses and ask the seller to refund $20 to help pay for new fuses.

If there is no disclaimer regarding the fuses or "as is" clause, then chances are the seller listed the item as used.  If yes, used on ebay means

"An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended."

Note the words "fully operational".

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111056150139

Not sure if you see it but at the bottom I specifically asked if it was tested and was told it was tested and fully working.

Thanks for your advice. I will contact the seller and ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of the fuses.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 03:24:38 pm »
Be cautious about buying boxes of these fuses, if you are a professional electrician, yes, it pays.  But if you are a design engineer or a hobbyist, the likelihood you'll blow a fuse is fairly slim.  Electricians probe many unknowns, usually at line voltage, and the chances of them missetting their DMMs from repeatedly doing the same work is high, thus the blown fuse.  But design work puts the mind in gear 100% of the time, so repeatitive mindless tasks are fairly minimal.  Otherwise, you'll have a box of spare fuses you'll never use, but you could sell your excess for $10 each on eBay  :-DMM.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

jucole

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »

I personally don't think you have a right to expect a "used" item to be fully operational;

but because you asked the question..

Q: Does this meter work? You don't show any pictures showing the LCD on. Did you test it?
A: The meter has been tested and works just like it should. Thanks!

Means to me that something as major as expensive blown fuses is nothing short of dishonesty on his part.    You should definitely ask for all your money back or him to re-inburse you for the money for the fuses.   But if you don't get a reply within a few days, just raise an Ebay dispute.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:28:19 pm by jucole »

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 04:26:02 pm »
I've always wondered, does a blown fuse mean a re-cal is needed for current ranges?

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 04:27:54 pm »
I've always wondered, does a blown fuse mean a re-cal is needed for current ranges?

Should not, voltage is sensed only on the resistor shunt.

Offline houdini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »
And you guys are surprised when these things get replaced with a 15Cent bolt.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 04:42:36 pm »
I am never surprised with human stupidity, just a bit discouraged. Fuses aren't that expensive as has been pointed out. It just needs a bit of research and thinking......

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111056150139

Not sure if you see it but at the bottom I specifically asked if it was tested and was told it was tested and fully working.

Thanks for your advice. I will contact the seller and ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of the fuses.
I think you have a valid complaint.  However, the only problem is that you already left feedback saying no problems.

The seller could dispute and ebay/paypal is likely to side with seller based on your feedback.

You could point out this thread to the seller as proof that your fuses are blown and you are not lying about it?

Let us know the outcome.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 05:31:12 pm »
I personally don't think you have a right to expect a "used" item to be fully operational;
Why not?  That is ebay's category rating and their definition.

If item is not fully operational, it should be listed for parts or broken then.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 08:17:53 pm »
Those $40 Digikey items say "Standard Package   10" so maybe that's 10 fuses?  It does look confusing.

Very! Standard package is the package size for Digikey, not the customer. If you buy 2, you get 2, not 20. I just received three 11A fuses and 2 440mA that I ordered. I can confirm that I received 3 and 2 respectively, not 30 and 20. These have to go back in exchange for the orders of magnitude cheaper Fluke part numbered ones.

The seller is going to refund me the price of the fuses.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »
Newark should have fuses for 7-8$ a pop in 5-packs.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 09:47:45 pm »
The seller is going to refund me the price of the fuses.
Good for seller vetteharley1 for doing the right thing.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf