Author Topic: BJT vs FET in dummy load  (Read 4428 times)

Offline jayTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Coder
BJT vs FET in dummy load
« on: September 25, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »
All the dummy loads discussed on the forum seem to use a power FET (Or maybe I missed something while searching?). What are the reasons to not use power BJT? Base current? Min voltage?
SW engineer trying to design HW because it's more fun.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: BJT vs FET in dummy load
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:51:33 pm »
Base current could become a problem for high power loads as I believe larger BJT's have lower HFE although darlingtons could be used.

Other than that no idea

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:41:03 pm »
There is an abundance of FETs out there.  I scavenge FETs from old UPS inverters.  Can't remember when I have found  something as once common in the 2N3055 range.  They are easy to drive without having to go the extra steps as multiple darlingtons.   You are still limited to the same power per package size. So I would say it is availability.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »
VCE(sat) means the load won't work at low voltages with a BJT. The required base current will cause an error term in the current sensing if sourced from the load's internal power supply, and if sourced from the DUT, this will increase VCE(sat) to that of a Darlington or worse, making the load even less useful. MOSFETs don't require gate current at DC, their only equivalent to VCE(sat) is (ID)(RDS(on)), and RDS(on) can be very low with a modern device.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

The following users thanked this post: werediver

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:10:31 am »
For a given current and die size at higher voltages (although not that high), the voltage drop from MOSFET Rds(on) will be greater than Vce(sat) of a transistor which is why IGBTs or composite transistors are used instead of MOSFETs in some applications.

As far as dummy loads, the gate current of the MOSFET contributes insignificant error so current sensing can be single ended which is simpler.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf