Author Topic: Blown mosfet?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline fthebestTopic starter

Blown mosfet?
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:08 am »
Hi everybody

I'm new on the forum and I have one question.
I'm trying to repair an hp printer power adapter (0957-2271) I opened it and I saw a blown resistor. I replaced the resistor and, of course, it blew up when I power the thing on. So I started locking at other possible blown component and I found a strange thing on the power mosfet (SPP07N65C3), all of the three terminals where shorted out measuring them with my DMM (I measured it both on the pcb and stand alone).
The question is: is this mos blown? Or I've to do other measures? According to what I know about mosfets I don't think that a short between gate and source or drain is normal but I want to be sure before replacing it.

Thank you

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
Re: Blown mosfet?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:31 am »
You're right, it's blown, semi conductors mostly fail short.

Check other nearby components, visually and with a meter, they could have caused the fet to blow.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:22:58 am »
Trace the gate connection back and check that whatever's driving it is ok.

When mosfets go short on all 3 pins they can take out the mosfet driver as well due to the gate being shorted to supply rails.

Sometimes you can power up the device with no mosfet and check with a scope that there is a signal on the gate pad/TH.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:25:21 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24:10 pm »
Always test out of circuit unless it's obvious there shouldn't be continuity between the two points.

Depending on what your definition of "shorted" is, if you test in circuit you're essentially driving voltage through other components too and if they happen to be in parallel and have a low enough resistance then you could be identifying the wrong culprit.

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:24 pm »
There should be 1 or more diodes near the mosfet that should be checked as well. They are often shorted and will blow up the new mosfet.

Offline fthebestTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:53 am »
Thanks to everybody.

There are others component gone and there is a short on a power rail I'll try to fix this in better day now I'm quite busy cause I'm preparing an exam.
I'll keep you updated.

Bye

P.S.
maybe I should change topic's title

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf