Author Topic: Bluetooth audio, a2dp, questions  (Read 3084 times)

Offline djspokoTopic starter

Bluetooth audio, a2dp, questions
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:54:26 pm »
Hi,
I have to make university project with microcontroller and I have a few questions. I want to make something like 'my own bluetooth audio receiver'. I thought that it will contain: bluetooth, atmega8(20Mhz) (or sth with more power) and DAC. First part which is generate sound from atmega using DAC, i did. But I have question about bluetooth connection. My first idea was buying bluetooth like hc-05 and setting headset profile and transmit data via UART (but I was reading about it and it is probably impossible).
My second idea was buying bluetooth with A2DP, connect with atmega, get music data (UART isn't too slow?) and generate sound from this data.
I know that it doesn't make any sense but it is for fun, learning and university project.
I want to know yours opinions. Is it possible to do? Do you have any helpful ideas?
Thanks

Offline aveekbh

• Regular Contributor
Re: Bluetooth audio, a2dp, questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:15:34 pm »
Hello djspoko

I am not familiar with the HC-05 type modules. Does it give you the raw data from Bluetooth, or is it emulating a serial port?

The maximum data rate is 3 Mbps, so you need UART of 3 Mbps to ensure you get all the raw data out. If you're looking at A2DP, it will generate about 1 Mbps. But, you'll also need a stack that encodes and decodes the A2DP data being sent over the air. There are some chips available with an embedded stack, but I am not sure how easy they are to buy in small quantities. I would certainly look at that first.

I hope I haven't discouraged you too much. Think up a good idea, and I am sure you will get enough help (from me and others).

- A

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:30:28 am »
I'm currently designing a bluetooth audio receiver for my car.
I'm using Microchip's (ex Roving Network) RN52 module. It offers A2DP, among others, and has direct differential audio output, as well as I2S and S/PDIF.
It doesn't get much easier than this. :-+
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:21:16 am »
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline jeremynguyen

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:26:45 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf