Author Topic: Board & component cleaning corrosion...  (Read 6338 times)

Offline LeWidgetTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Board & component cleaning corrosion...
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:23:35 pm »
Hi all,

I received a water damaged iPod 6 nano sometime ago that wouldn't work. I opened it up & found some components on the cables/board were corroded. I was wondering, when you guys come across corroded electronic parts, how do you go about repairing/cleaning ? Is it generally a difficult task ?

pics: http://s998.photobucket.com/user/Widget1983/library/Electronics

I know many of you guys might say dump it (the ipod) but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway (for experience).

Looking forward to you feedback,

Regards,

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: Board & component cleaning corrosion...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:32 pm »
it says the album is private and I don't see any pictures
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:34:25 pm »
it says the album is private and I don't see any pictures

oops, try now. :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:41:15 pm »
Nope.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline nemo000111

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:13:34 pm »
Still can't see the pictures.  However, in general it depends on how bad the components are, what they are, and how long the repair needs to function.    Typically what you're up against with repairs like this (i.e. water damage) isn't the corrosion, but shorted/blown parts.  For complex devices where you don't have a good schematic, this can be a headache to track down.  I clean everything with 99% isopropyl alcohol and an esd safe brush.  Depending on the circuit, I'll soak it for a while too.  After that, you replace anything that looks to need replacing.  You also might needs to expose new copper in spots for a place to solder.  For some of the packages, if the leads (such as they are) are corroded away, you can try some point soldering to get a connection or a circuit trace pen for temporary signal lines.  I also start with the programmable ic's first.  If they're too far gone, you can't salvage the device.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:22:24 pm »
'now' it should be set.. settings didn't save before for some reason :\

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:21 pm »
Cleaning in ultrasonic bath and then replacing parts if needed.

Offline nemo000111

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 02:06:43 pm »
Still no dice on the pictures.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:30 pm »
I see pictures but of car parts.

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 03:09:51 pm »
as already said clean with isopropyl and a brush ,you can also try swich cleaning fluid.If you can`t get it working after that,sell it on as faulty on ebay or save the battery and screen if they arent damaged .

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:32:08 pm »
The OP's pics :

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:11:12 am »
Thanks Yago :),

Thanks for the tips guy, I'll head out & pick come IPA up & give it a shot. Is it also worth trying to reflow the solder ? If so, what flux should I get (paste, pen, other.)

I'm not too sure about the battery & screen just yet. I might unsolder the battery & test with a meter.. screen cable has corrosion (seen in pics) so not too sure if it can be replaced.

Thanks again guys

Offline ee.jmlp

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 01:27:03 am »
Citric acid not only cleans corrosion, passivates the metals like copper.

first clean it all with Citric acid + isopropyl alcohol and finish with pure isopropyl alcohol.
-->
Yeah buddy!

Offline nemo000111

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:12 am »
From what I can see, the connector contacts are either shot or nearly so.  The only recourse you have in that case is a new cable from ebay and if you're lucky the pcb socket as well.  If they're shot and you cant get a replacement you're pretty much SOL if you want to keep it in the same form factor.  Whatever's under the flat flex cable on the right looks in rough shape too.  Smd parts are easy to replace (as long as it's not a programable ic, prom, etc.).  The trick is getting the right value for caps, resistors, etc.  It can be rather annoying if the part is blown and there are no markings on it.

Offline rverm

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:13 am »
there is one particular piece of equipment that comes in all the time with a water spill on one of the boards. its always so badly corroded I pitch them.
 would you willing to try diluted ferric chloride? to see if it works.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:06:32 am by rverm »

Offline ee.jmlp

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 04:35:46 pm »
why to try with so conductive and water dissolved chemical?

Don't try, use citric acid. It's well used in industry around the world to clean corossion and passivating.
It dissolves in IPA, so you won't need water to clean it.
-->
Yeah buddy!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 03:26:56 am »
Citric acid not only cleans corrosion, passivates the metals like copper.

first clean it all with Citric acid + isopropyl alcohol and finish with pure isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks for the tip :). Regarding citric acid, I've seen it available in powered form, do you mean mix it with some IPA then use to clean ?

Nemo: yeh, I'm a little concerned about the state of those connectors, but I'm kinda hoping it looks worse than it is. Will clean as much as I can & take some fresh pics & see what I can do :\.

Thanks again guys :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 06:22:32 pm »
I normally use vinegar to clean battery gunk off, but for some machinery I use Ascorbic acid, as we do buy it in large amounts, and it was a lot easier to get the old expired batch and keep it around as a cleaner instead of sending it for disposal. I use it as a test powder on some machines as it is a consistent test load.

Offline mtbolha

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:28:35 pm »
Interesting topic. I have came across ipod corosion many times, but am not an expert of it. Fixed few ipods by scrubing they're logic boards under warm water with regular soap and tooth brush. Have noticed that soap cleans the contacts very good, after cleaning everything is shiney i submerge the logic board in pure isopropyl alcohol so that pushes all water out, take it our after 30-60sec, then leave it on a warm place to dry or use hair dryer to make drying faster.

If I dont succeed with soap and toothbrush method under warm water, then I spray WD40 on the logic board, and wait a minute or two so that WD grabs good, after that clean it with soap and toothbrush untill it is compleatly free of WD. Then submerge in isopropyl alcohol to push all water out and dry it.

If this method after repeating it 2-3 times does not work, then find and change what component is bad, replace it.

Hope it helps

Offline ee.jmlp

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »

Thanks for the tip :). Regarding citric acid, I've seen it available in powered form, do you mean mix it with some IPA then use to clean ?

Yes, and after IPA+citric acid, clean with pure IPA.

If you want to make a test get a copper sheet, touch if with fingers and heat it for a while (hairdrier) until fingerprints will appear, after that, let it cool down and rub a the ipa+citric acid mix with a cotton or let it alone. You'll see.

(lemon juice will work jajaja it has ascorbic acid and citric acid, but has water too...)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:24:20 pm by ee.jmlp »
-->
Yeah buddy!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf