Author Topic: Bridge rectifier connected to variac  (Read 4972 times)

Offline FrankentronicsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Bridge rectifier connected to variac
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:47:30 pm »
Greetings,

I am currently equipping my workshop to start experimenting with audio amp circuits and power supplies for amps.

I already built my own Variac and have tested a few transformers. I was going to start testing some bridge rectifier circuits and stopped before going any further.

Before I go further I would like to know if there are any reasons why I should not connect a bridge rectifier directly to the Variac, other than me accidentally turning the knob too high. The reason why I would want to do this in the first place is to simplify my experiments and also because I don't have isolation type transformers for all voltages.

I really couldn't find the answer by Googling so I hope to get the answer here.

Thank you...
"If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun."
- Katharine Hepburn

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Bridge rectifier connected to variac
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:00:17 pm »
Yes, a very simple reason. Connecting the bridge directly to the variac output would not give you any safety isolation from the mains supply. Don't Go There!  :scared:
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Frankentronics

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:35 pm »
Instead of searching for an answer, take a piece of paper and make the schematic of the circuit. Now start studying what will happen when each type of load is connected to the output.
This way you will understand what you can do and what not.
For any question, here we are!

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:56:56 pm »
For that application, I have a suggestion. The variac can power a pair of cheap as chips 16 to 24v bell transformers from most hardware stores.

Parallel the primaries and series connect the secondaries to form a cheap classical center-tapped supply with twice the VA rating of each bell transformer. With the typical 24v 50VA bell transformers and the variac set to max (say 135vac) you should get close to +- 40V rectified.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:44:18 pm »
Google "diy isolation transformer microwave oven", a number of hits
on how to build a cheap isolation transformer.

When done be sure to megger isolation has been met, no nicked or
grounded turns....google "megger test" for reference material.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:28:02 am »
I've attached a bridge to a variac lots of times, when I wanted a high-ish variable DC bus voltage. It works fine, but be aware of the limitations and safety risks.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:43 am »
First of all, thank you all.

After reading your replies I did some Googling and found something interesting.

http://www.furmanpower.com/furman-technologies/discrete-symmetrically-balanced-power

It seems like this would be a good solution for anyone planning to experiment with audio and audio power supplies.

Some more Googling revealed the bad news: the price.

Now I wonder how feasible it would be to wind my own 1:1 toroidal isolation transformer. I guess some more Googling and YouTubing will provide the answer, but I wonder what you guys think?

And if that's not an option then I guess I can do that MOT hack.

Thanks...
- Katharine Hepburn

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 09:47:38 am »
To use a variac in electronics lab it is necessary to use one or more transformers...
- An 1:1 mains transformer, at the input...
- One or more transformers at the output of the variac, depending of the application(s)...
- Both the above, to be possible to have simultaneously an isolated mains and adjustable output(s)...
To decide which is the best solution depends on what the needs are...
Put down what you have, what you want to do and start studying/designing the solution. By searching here and there, vaguely without understanding, the result will not be the best...

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 12:12:26 pm »
In the US, $18 will get a pair of 24v transformers at any Home Depot. That's 80va of safe, split-bobbin, class-2 isolation safety (up to 80vdc or +- 40v rectified when Variac drives them at 135v).  For 160va, get 2 more and series or parallel each pair for either more voltage or current..  And with 120-208-240vac flexible inputs, you get the idea.. One could dream-up a whole lot more to do with these...

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:51 pm »
There are two reasons not to use the output of a variac directly:

1. A variac does not provide isolation from the power line.
2. A variac's wiper has a maximum current limit so the rated power of a variac is proportional to output voltage.  If you have a variac set to low output voltage and short the output, excessive current will destroy it instead of blowing the input fuse or circuit breaker.

So either use a step down transformer on the output of the variac to solve both problems or use an isolation transformer on the input and place either a fuse or current limiting in series with the output wiper.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 02:26:03 pm »
In addition to the lack of isolation, on a variac, it's also possible for it to fail dangerously. If there's a break in the winding, below the wiper's set point, it will output the full mains voltage.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:37:18 pm by Hero999 »

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 02:29:00 pm »
For audio amp experiments or repair you really need a dual polarity, current limited supply. Otherwise a simple mistake like a transistor the wrong way round can destroy the whole output stage. The inexpensive option is a 'dim bulb tester' and dual output transformer/rectifier - the more professional one is a current limited dual supply.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 07:25:39 pm »
Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

I did fuse my variac, using a 1A fuse, even if the variac coil is rated at 2.5A. I was thinking, precisely, about protecting the wiper.

...An 1:1 mains transformer, at the input...

I'm glad you pointed this out because I thought the 1:1 should go after the variac.

I will probably have to put all this in a new enclosure because I'm not sure I can fit it all in. That said, what should be the minimum distance between transformers so the magnetic fields don't interfere with each other? The distances I am finding through Google are not applicable to this project. And I'm assuming it would be best to use shielded transformers connected to earth ground, correct?

Thanks...
- Katharine Hepburn

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 09:15:09 am »
Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

I did fuse my variac, using a 1A fuse, even if the variac coil is rated at 2.5A. I was thinking, precisely, about protecting the wiper.

...An 1:1 mains transformer, at the input...

I'm glad you pointed this out because I thought the 1:1 should go after the variac.

I will probably have to put all this in a new enclosure because I'm not sure I can fit it all in. That said, what should be the minimum distance between transformers so the magnetic fields don't interfere with each other? The distances I am finding through Google are not applicable to this project. And I'm assuming it would be best to use shielded transformers connected to earth ground, correct?

Thanks...
Transformers are normally well-screened enough for that to be a non-issue. A shielded mains transformer has an earthed screen between the primary and secondary windings, so stop capacitively coupled leakage from the mains to the secondary.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf