Author Topic: Brymen BM 867 multimeter usage  (Read 10530 times)

Offline ngoctranTopic starter

Brymen BM 867 multimeter usage
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:34:36 am »
I'm a new member, also a beginner in electronics.  I've just purchased a Brymen BM867 multimeter (after watching good video reviews), and I've been trying to learn as much as possible how to use it efficiently (through it's user's manual).  Here's my question:

The second function, counting from left to right, has three options: DC voltage, DC voltage with AC voltage shown in the top display, and DC & AC voltage with AC voltage shown in the top display.  The option for a combined DC & AC voltage measuring really confuses me.  My best guess is it's used when the user is not sure about the voltage type, it can accept either DC or AC.  And, to be honest, I have a feeling that my guess is totally wrong since we just can't measure a voltage if we're not sure about its type.

Please help me out.  I appreciate all answers.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Brymen BM 867 multimeter usage
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:43:16 am »
I don't know, but I do know a member here (Lightages) is a distributor for Brymen, so if he doesn't notice this post I'll try to get him in the thread to answer your question.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:26:48 am »
A voltage can be a combination, in a way. If you have a DC voltage that varies a little bit, it can be thought of as a DC voltage with an AC voltage added to it. Or it can be thought of as an AC voltage that is offset by a DC voltage. The displays you are describing are just ways of separating these different components of the voltage you are measuring and showing the magnitude of each separately.

What us is this? If you here trying to measure an unregulated power supply, it is nice to see the average DC voltage you are getting, and also see the ripple component.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 06:18:42 am »
Hi XRunner and Lightages,

Thank you all for your great help.  I appreciate your answer although I don't really understand it very well.  I think I need more education on my part since you all know I'm just a beginner in electronics.  Until I understand it thoroughly, I guess I just don't use this function to make sure nothing's going to happen to my Brymen multimeter.  Does it sound too conservative?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:26:26 am »
You can't harm your multimeter, use the functions as you want. You can only hurt it by dropping it on concrete, maybe, dropping it in the toilet, or something like that. :)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:04:57 pm »
Hi Lightages,

I bought Brymen BM867 to do some household electrical work as well as learning electronics.  My serious lack of knowledge almost hurt me: I used a CAT 2 multimeter to check a switch on the circuit panel in my home.  This mistake woke me up to do some research on multimeters and CAT categorization.  What I really meant was: switch to AC voltage function to check AC voltage and switch to DC voltage function to check DC voltage, just don't use the Combined Function DC & AC to check AC voltage, specially when working with electrical outlets, junction boxes or circuit panels.  As I said, I don't have enough knowledge to give a good judgement on the behavior of the Brymen BM867 in those cases.  From what you've explained, I guess it'd be all right.  I'm just too scared to try my multimeter on that combined function.

The Brymen BM867 user's manual is not detailed good enough for beginners.  Yesterday I've discovered something about the RANGE button while I was trying to use its MANUAL RANGE mode in DC voltage checking: pressing the RANGE button will gradually move the decimal point of the display number.  I guess I'll have to dig in other functions on this Brymen to discover more features.  I wish I had a better user's manual.

By the way, Lightages, I've spent sometime online to try to find matching fuses for Brymen BM867, just in case I need a replacement.  Based on the specifications in the user's manual, I don't seem to be able to locate a good match.  Would you kindly direct me to a good source for Brymen multimeters accessories so that I'll able to purchase some fuses as well as other necessary equipments like magnetic hanger, software kit, banana plugs, etc...

I highly appreciate your answer.

Regards,

NgocTran

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 06:28:12 pm »
What country do you live in?

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:55:38 am »
Thanks for asking, Lightages.  I forgot to let you know that I live in the USA.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:39 am »
I would suggest you talk to Franky, AKA iloveelectronics here on the forum, to see what he can get you. I can't sell you anything unfortunately. Franky's store on ebay is:  http://stores.ebay.com/99centHobbies?_rdc=1

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 02:01:14 am »
Thanks for your suggestion, Lightages.  I've already contacted with Franky through Ebay.  He's very nice in providing necessary information on Brymen multimeters.  Unfortunately, he's not able to help me on the fuses.  I guess I'll have to rely on my own research.  I wish Brymen company would be able to create an online accessories store in a near future if there's a real market for it.

I highly appreciate all your help.

Best regards,

ngoctran

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: connectTek

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 04:04:15 am »
I also have and can get fuses for Brymen meters but the problem is that I have an agreement with Brymen to not sell outside of my territory and buying and shipping fuses from here to the world would either cost me money or cost the purchaser too much money.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 07:26:55 pm »
Hi Marco and Lightgages,

I appreciate all your input and help.  Following Marco's provided link, I've checked TME (where I purchased my Brymen multimeter) webpage and found the specs for the 0.44A just doesn't match with the one provided by the BM867 user's manual: the length of the fuse is 10x35mm instead of 10x38mm as specified in the user's manual.  TME also provides a listing of the Brymen multimeters that use this fuse including BM867.  No issues with the 11A fuse.  I guess it's either TME is wrong or the user's manual is sloppy.  I just can't tell.  A few weeks ago, I emailed Brymen.com asking for help finding the right fuses but there hasn't been any answer.  I don't understand the business management at Brymen.  They probably don't pay attention to "small" concerns from customers around the world.  But nobody can build a tower if its foundation isn't solid.

I feel a bit sorry for myself to make a hasty decision on my purchase of this Brymen BM867 instead of Fluke 177 (after watching good reviews on Youtube).  I would've spent $20 more to get the Fluke 177 and faced no issues with accessories.  Don't get me wrong!  This Brymen BM867 is a fantastic multimeter for beginners like me.  I'm just saying I should focus on my electrical/electronics learning instead of spending too much time searching accessories.  Here's a good example: I bought a Brymen multimeter carrying case on Ebay.  It's specified to be used for Brymen BM869.  I thought it'd be OK for BM867 since the  size is similar.  I was unhappy when the case arrived:  it's too tight for the meter and the leads.  So now I have to store the leads in a different bag together with other accessories: banana plugs, alligator clips, etc.  This is really a bad purchase.  I don't think I should unplug the leads after using the meter.  It's just unpractical.

It's too late to change things but I believe there's still room to improve if Brymen Company pays attention customers' suggestions.  I really appreciate all your help.  I've been happy to be member of this EEVBLOG.  It's very helpful.

Best Regards,

ngoctran

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 09:47:26 pm »
I am sorry you have the problems you have. First of all the fuses that Brymen supplies in the BM52X, BM82X and the BM86X series are 44/100 10x35 and 11A 10x38. The replacements I have in stock, as supplied by Brymen, are the same. So don't worry about the size of the fuse that TME supplies, it is correct.

Normally Brymen answers people quite reliably. Before I became a distributor and was just a customer, they answered me within a few days each time.

As far as the case goes, I have no experience, but I will be contacting them to ask about the size and you problem.

I know you have the better meter, without a doubt, than the Fluke 177. The 177 has a lifetime warranty over the BM867, that's it. Everything else is better specs and better capability with the BM867. I think you are just facing buyer's remorse although I can understand your frustration with the case.

I will bring up your concerns about the fuse size and the case with them this coming week.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 01:59:37 am »
Hi Lightages,

I truly appreciate your input to my concern and clarify the fuse sizes.  I can certainly get those fuses online without any problems.  I totally agree with you that I've got a better multimeter than Fluke 177, as I said it's a fantastic meter.  I brought up the Fluke 177 for comparison because my electrician neighbor's been using a Fluke meter with complete satisfaction.  But I was convinced to purchase the Brymen BM867 instead after watching great reviews on Youtube videos.

If you have a chance to talk to Brymen Company, please mention the user's manual, the accessories, the online store, etc...  As far as I know, there's no single store in the US carrying Brymen products.  People've been rumoring that Brymen relabeled its products under different names but I haven't found concrete proofs on that marketing strategy yet.

I'm sorry I haven't able to reply promptly to you because I have been busy with some issues of our home gas furnace.  Thanks so much for your thoughts and guidance.

Best regards,

ngoctran

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 04:26:49 am »
There is doubt that Brymen is sold under other names. The ones that come to mind easily are Extech MM series, Greenlee, Amprobe has many from Brymen, in Brazil there are some MiniPa branded Brymens, and there are a couple of others I don't remember.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 09:31:42 am »
In scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, at least), they are sold under the name Elma - http://www.elma.dk/_dk/Produkter/Lists;130070/El/Multimetre

They are quite expensive vs TME though.

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 09:43:04 pm »
Hello
Today i blow fuse on my Brymen BM 867.And i need a new fuse DMM-B-11A.I saw on ebay at the price 3.59-7 dollars,can i trust in fuse from ebay?
I cannot understand,on fuse write made in Mexico and are sell by Chinese
Sorry for my English

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 10:04:11 pm »
I would not trust a fuse from ebay if it is not from the EU or the USA. If you are from the EU get one from www.tme.eu

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 10:10:04 pm »
Yes, i am from Europa.I bought BM867 from TME.
I buy a fuse from TME.What company is better,Bussman or Littelfuse?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 10:21:26 pm »
You might consider this shop. http://www.gmelectronic.com/wire-fuses-103x38mm-for-photovoltaics
Their fuses are cheaper. But I have never seen these fuses, so i do not know what their quality is like.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:55 pm »
Greeting
I am not too skilled (i'm a beginner).I encounterd a problem whose answer i don't know.
I have a hot air blower.Technical data Proxxon MH 550 (220 – 240V. 500W)
I wanted to see if consume 500W.I used DMM Brymen BM867 to measure A,then multiply A with V (224V,it is the measured voltage)
While measure A i saw i do not indicate Hz when i indicate 1A.After switches the second stage on hot air blower and A go up to 2A i indicate Hz.I used a second DMM to monitor Hz and everything was ok.
I did a video and i upload on youtube     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3xOTWLugXk&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for my English
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:35:42 pm by gameru »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 08:54:04 pm »
Is that a cactus or what? Isn't that offtopic, please?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 11:09:15 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 08:03:15 am »
Sorry if is  offtopic,but I did not know where to post.
Brymen said to me
This is a sensitivity issue.
 The sensitivity of BM867’s 5A current range was designed at around 1A typically. The sensitivity of your unit should be slightly more than 1.1A. That is the reason why it can not get Hz reading while measuring 1.1A and can get Hz reading while measuring 2A

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 09:22:00 am »

Bussman now made in china, Littlefuse maybe... :o

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 10:17:39 am »

Bussman now made in china, Littlefuse maybe... :o

I choose  Littelfuse

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf