Author Topic: Building styles  (Read 3465 times)

Telequipment

Building styles
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:55:14 am »
I've been trying many different ways of building, as I'm not quite ready for making boards, and my favourite way ,that I find the easiest with 100% success rate is the "Manhattan style", and I seem to be able to get quite complex circuits on the board, what's your  favourite style I wonder  :-+
Paul

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Building styles
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 08:59:37 am »
piggyback, similar to deadbug where components that share the same functions on at-least 1 chips pins you stack them, i've mounted tens of i2c eeproms this way, same for buffers and logic gates for increased current capacity, , when your using msop's or similar it can greatly get around the issues of board space on extremely dense hobby stuff,

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:54:22 am »
Vero board and point to point, are what I find easiest and best I tried board etching in the 1970's and found it so laborious and messy I never tried it again.

Offline cthree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:36:11 am »
I solder things together with wires and stuff.

duskglow

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 02:47:23 am »
cthree, wow, I never would have thought of that.  Tell me more.  :-DD

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:35:51 am »
I like strip board and making my own PCB's.

I bought some nice island board but I find it annoying, strip board is excellent if you plan things out, much less wires are needed... especially if you use thin tubing on parts legs.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 04:22:27 am »
I've been trying many different ways of building, as I'm not quite ready for making boards, and my favourite way ,that I find the easiest with 100% success rate is the "Manhattan style", and I seem to be able to get quite complex circuits on the board, what's your  favourite style I wonder  :-+

Horses for courses. 

You wouldn't use veroboard for high power RF circuits while Manhattan's no good if it's all ICs.

Below is a scorecard based on the sorts of things you'd want in a construction method listed:

a. Compactness / b. Suitability for RF / c. Suitability for ICs / d. Ease of changing parts / e. Ease of probing around / f. Reproducibility by beginners / g. Ease of commercial manufacture / h. Construction speed (including board design & etching if applicable)

1 = bad, 2 = fair, 3 = good

Point to Point / dead bug   2/3/1/3/2/1/1/3
Manhattan style  1/3/1/3/3/2/1/3
Matrix board  3/2/3/2/1/1/1/2
Vero strip board 2/1/3/2/2/2/1/2
PC board  3/3/3/1/2/3/3/1

As one who wants to build experimental RF stuff quickly with mostly discrete parts, the first 2 or 3 are right for me.  But others have different priorities.

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline millerb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:24:45 am »
I don't know what this style would be called, but basically I use breadboards where ever I can get away with it, and for small parts I solder onto perfboard with just enough point to point wiring and circuitry to make a module and tie them all together with wires. I bolt down all the modules onto blocks of wood to keep them in place.

Telequipment

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:10:43 am »
 Thank you to all who replied to my post, when mounting IC's I tend to use these and insulate from the main board, I like the Manhattan style as it reminds me of the way old tube stuff is put together, bottom line I guess if it works for you and you're enjoying it, that's the best we can expect. I did have a go at making a board, but I found it messy, I suppose you could have boards made, "expensive", and then there's working out the designing software :-//, so I'll stay with the method I like, it's just interesting to see what the rest of you do.
Thanks again
Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf