Author Topic: Burning/Converting VOB files with subtitles to DVD?  (Read 15406 times)

Offline TRAPTRAPTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Burning/Converting VOB files with subtitles to DVD?
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:38:47 am »
So I've successfully edited my subtitles on DVDSubEdit. Now, I need to know if/ how I can burn them as a VOB (which is what they were when I ripped them from a DVD), or convert them to a file that will retain the subtitles and be able to burn to a DVD Disc.

I've converted the VOB files to MPEG II and MP4's, but the subtitles are gone!

Can anyone help with this? The users here have been INCREDIBLY helpful with this process! Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:39:57 am by TRAPTRAP »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Burning/Coverting VOB files with subtitles to DVD?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:05:10 am »
If you want something that will play on one of those old fashioned DVD player things, I don't know. If all you need is a video file that has subtitles included just use Handbrake.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 04:22:11 am »
My DVD Player reads most discs, it's not THAT old. I've burned DVD's, but the issue is that I don't know if VOB will work, and I need it to RETAIN the subtitles. I've converted to MP4, WMV, and MPEG II from my edited VOB file, but they didn't retain the subs, they were gone.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:41:26 am »
I have no idea if you use windows but this is my process on linux.

Handbrake + ffmpeg + dvdstyler + growisofs

Handbrake to mkv, ffmpeg to mpg, dvdstyler to create a menu etc. and finally growisofs to burn the dvd.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 04:45:01 am »
Yes, I use Windows 8.1, currently. I've already edited the subs. All I really need is a program that will keep the subs ON, after conversion from a VOB.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 04:52:11 am »
Here are the windows builds for ffmpeg and I do believe that it can do operations with subtitles.  From there you can use whatever works for converting to iso and burning.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:23 am »
DVD players these days can't just play files directly? You still have to go through that convert to iso process? I'm just curious because I haven't had a DVD player connected to my TV in almost 10 years. I use a PC instead.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:32:50 am »
DVD players these days can't just play files directly? You still have to go through that convert to iso process? I'm just curious because I haven't had a DVD player connected to my TV in almost 10 years. I use a PC instead.
I'm honestly not entirely sure but I think most of them can play MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 directly and some will do AVI, I had one that did.  I think they'll all do the major audio formats nowadays.  For full compatibility VOB is the way to go and if an iso is going to be distributed, the region code needs set to 0.  The trick is to convert to MPEG and do file operations there and then convert back to VOB and into and iso for burning.

I just ripped all my DVD's. I found Handbrake a lot easier to use than trying to use FFMPEG from the command line. The GUI made managing the titles and selecting Audio tracks and Subtitle tracks a lot less work.

Given the question posed by the OP I'd think Handbrake is a more appropriate choice. It gives excellent results with a much easier learning curve.
Handbrake uses ffmpeg as an encoder and I prefer to cut out the middleman as much as possible.  If you really want to do fast encoding, it's what you use on linux.  I have no idea how to use it on windows as I haven't been there for a very long time but I imagine that it's probably the same except for the paths.  The command line is second nature for me now though I'll agree that it has a steep learning curve, but also add that there are many, many tutorials for it.  Also, recently disks are using very sophisticated techniques to make life harder for the "home encoder".  I recently ran into one and the only thing that would work was ffmpeg at the command line.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:36:17 am »
Another user gave me the DVDSubEdit, and it did work fine. I moved the subs, but whenever I convert the video from the original VOB, the subs disappear.

I'm having a tough time getting the HandBrake to work. How would I edit the subs? I'd have to rip the DVD, again? It can't upload the already ripped VOB files?

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 05:45:38 am »
VOB is just a container like a zip file, although a specialized one.  You need to have the audio, video and subtitle files re-VOB'ed again and the best way to do that is ripping to MKV with the subtitles embedded.  It gets even more fun if you want menus and chapters.  From the page I linked:

If the subtitle is a separate file called subtitle.srt, you can use this command:

ffmpeg -i video.avi -vf subtitles=subtitle.srt out.avi

If the subtitle is embedded in the container video.mkv, you can do this:

ffmpeg -i video.mkv -vf subtitles=video.mkv out.avi
This is one of those things that's not entirely straight forward or easy.  I keep notes on it because I don't do it enough to remember.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:50:58 am »
Not related to your last question but regarding your player:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/panasonic-dvd-s52/7120

Seems it supports all recording DVD media:
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD-R DL
DVD+R
DVD+RW
DVD+R DL

Also here is the link for all the tools that videohelp has information about:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?updated=Popular+tools

That site used to be vcdhelp then dvdhelp now it's videohelp
Lots of info regarding what you are trying to do.

For example Authoring:
http://www.videohelp.com/author

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:13 am »
On Windows, I think Handbrake default is AVC/AAC/mp4. You can use ffmpeg and mkv, but you have to manually select them.

Handbrake only can add subtitles when it does the encoding, so you would have to re-rip from the source.

Another good place for help with audio and video problems is AVS forums.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 05:53:02 am »
What's an easy way to rip the VOB's I have, an edited to MKV as stated above?
If it embeds the subs, that's fine, I've edited them to a fixed position, anyway.

Also, the menus won't be coming along, I'll be cutting the files apart anyway. They mixed between extras an episodes, so I need to cut it anyway. The only IMPORTANT thing is that it keeps the subtitle.

EDIT: I'll check those links, Miguel!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:54:40 am by TRAPTRAP »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:01:18 am »
He is trying to move the subtitles higher so that he can play the movies in zoom without cutting off the subtitles

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 06:13:22 am »
He is trying to move the subtitles higher so that he can play the movies in zoom without cutting off the subtitles
I think the solution for that can be found here and here.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 03:30:53 pm »
These things are easy once you understand how it's all put together.  Read the wiki for handbrake.  By default the subtitles don't follow along so the size can be kept down but you can turn them on during ripping.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 08:12:18 pm »
I think it'll be easier for everyone to understand what I'm trying to do if they read my last topic on the subtitles.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/need-help-with-panasonic-53wx52f-tv-display/

I'll describe exactly what I've done so far.

First I took my DVD, and set it to copy/rip to my PC. I used AnyDVD (Slysoft), because it can bypass the copyright lock on DVD's.

AnyDVD ripped the DVD and saved an AOA and a VIDEO_TS folder. Inside the folder there's a list of VOB files, which are the individual files for my movie. There's about 12 of them

I uploaded the DVD VOB files into DVDSubEdit. Once they were there, I was able to edit the subtitles exactly as I wanted. I moved them upward, so that when I play them on my PANASONIC TV, they'll fit on screen and not cut off at the bottom when I use ZOOM display to fit the picture to screen and make subtitles large enough. ZOOM on my UNEDITED DVD's cuts the subs from the bottom. That's why I moved them upward.

Now, when I try to save the edited file on DVDSubEdit, it saves OVER the old VOB. I don't see a way to save to MPEG/MP4/MKV/AVI/etc. WMV would be preferred, as it's the only file I can burn with my laptop. I need a way to either save (on DVDSubEdit) as a proper movie file, that will retain the subtitles I've edited and embed them to my video, OR I need a progam that will open the VOB file I already have, and save it as a proper movie file. I've tried this with ANY video converter (ANVsoft), it opened the VOB, but when I saved it as any of the above movie files the subtitles were gone.

So, a way to save the VOB as a burnable movie file, keeping the subtitles intact/embedded, OR a way to have DVDSubEdit save the edited VOB files as a burnable movie file.

I can re-RIP the DVD if I have to, but if it goes through a different progam, the program will have to be able to bypass the copy protection and be able to edit the subtitles by moving them UPWARD.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:15:24 pm by TRAPTRAP »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:53 pm »
Why don't just burn it as an unprotected DVD with menus and all?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »
Where could I do that from, that will keep the subtitles moved upward?

Also, in VLC, which I have, I was able to move the subtitles upward. Can I save from VLC? Possibly to a WMV/AVI/etc. Save it so that it will keep the subtitles in that position?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »
After this DVDSubEdit thing is done, use Handbrake and do a "Title Specific Scan" of the video_ts folder. If there's more than one title, make sure to choose the correct one. When it's done, go to the subtitles tab and select the subtitles from the drop-down list and add them. Then let Handbrake do it's thing. Handbrake has a huge number of options and it takes a while before you understand everything (if ever).

I don't know for sure because I don't mess with DVDs that much, but I always thought the subtitles were actually in a different file from the video/audio .vob files.

It's really much easier to just transcode with Handbrake to mp4 or whatever and play the file directly from a PC or media server connected to the TV instead of going through all this DVD hassle.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »
Where could I do that from, that will keep the subtitles moved upward?

Also, in VLC, which I have, I was able to move the subtitles upward. Can I save from VLC? Possibly to a WMV/AVI/etc. Save it so that it will keep the subtitles in that position?

I think you just burn the DVD keeping the same file structure after you are done ripping it to the hard drive
It's been a while since I've done anything with DVD video editing but as long as it has all the bits and pieces as when you look at it with a DVD Rom it should work.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:27 am »
I'm not sure I completely understand. Can Handbrake manually move the subtitles UPWARD? When I use ZOOM, it cuts the subs off COMPLETELY. I could crop the image, but I'm not certain that my TV will display it right. ZOOM, crops off the top and bottom but fits left and right to my PANASONIC TV. The subs on my video are REALLY low, another issue. If I cut TOO much from the bottom of the picture it will cut the subs if I can't move them UPWARD.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:45:40 am by TRAPTRAP »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Burning/Converting VOB files with subtitles to DVD?
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 04:55:35 pm »
I do HAVE to end up with a DVD. My TV is a great TV, but it's 12 years old, I can't easily hook it up to the computer, and I don't have $4000 to spend on a newer, same size TV. Or a media player at that, right now. On top of which, media players from PC to TV aren't as reliable as a DVD player, in my opinion. This is the only time I've EVER had this much trouble with my TV/ DVD player. It's mor of the DVD itself that's the issue.

I have the VLC option still left to try. If I rip/save the text file as .SRT, then I can imbed them back into the video in VLC. Only I'm not sure how to get rid of the original subtitles that will still appear lower on the screen? Any ideas? I don't see an .SRT file in the DVD I ripped.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 09:59:43 pm »
How about, just a program that can convert a VOB into a WMV/MP4/ etc.? If I can get that, it'll work out fine.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »
What we've been telling you all along...Handbrake.

You can choose between mp4 or mkv container and either h.264, mpeg-2, or mpeg-4 codec

Hardly anyone uses wmv anymore.

Go read some tutorials for Handbrake first, it has a lot of options.

How about, just a program that can convert a VOB into a WMV/MP4/ etc.? If I can get that, it'll work out fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf