Author Topic: Cable Recommendation / Source  (Read 922 times)

Offline wobblycogsTopic starter

• Contributor
Cable Recommendation / Source
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:58:16 am »
Hi,

I'm putting together some LED lighting for my workshop. I plan on connecting up the individual strips with 2.1mm dc power connectors (these seem to be good for 3A and I only need 2A). I only need to run power about 50cm max and my voltage drop calculations seem to indicate anything more than 0.5mm^2 (20AWG) cable should be good enough for this. I'd like to use 0.75mm^2 (about 18 AWG) cable just to be on the safe side but I can't seem to find any suitable.

The cable I'm looking for is the stuff you often find on laptop power supplies. It's almost always 18AWG and has an outer diameter of about 5mm which is exactly what I need for the 2.1mm plugs. I've bought some 0.75mm^2 stranded cable but the insulation is far to thick on it to fit into the plugs.

Any idea where I can find this near mythical cable? Even just a name or search terms would be great as searching for "2.1mm power jack cable" doesn't turn up much. I'm in the UK.

Cheers  :D

Offline wobblycogsTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Cable Recommendation / Source
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 05:01:44 pm »
Thanks to everyone that read my post, after much searching I think I've finally found some suitable cable.

I tried all the big electrical component suppliers, Digikey got the closest but they wanted an arm and a leg considering I only need a few meters of cable.

In the end I got back onto eBay, if you search for "DC Power Supply Extension Cable" you'll turn up pre-made cable with 2.1mm jacks on the end. A ten meter cable was about £4 so I'll just cut it down as I need it.

Cheers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf