Author Topic: Can anyone recommend me a book about how to design a op amp?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline RiouTopic starter

Can anyone recommend me a book about how to design a op amp?
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:54:14 pm »
I want to use Hspice to design a CMOS op amp. But I am not very familiar with the internal constructure of the op amp.
Sorry for this 'easy' question, can anyone recommend me a book about how to design a op amp?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Re: Can anyone recommend me a book about how to design a op amp?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »
One of the "Electronic Design, Art, Science and Personalities" books has a lot of information on the original P1 op-amp design. It won't tell you how to design a CMOS op-amp in HSpice, but it will help put the foundations in place, and as the mask set for the CMOS will be about $100,000 then I suspect it's worthwhile sorting out the foundations.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »
One of the "Electronic Design, Art, Science and Personalities" books has a lot of information on the original P1 op-amp design. It won't tell you how to design a CMOS op-amp in HSpice, but it will help put the foundations in place, and as the mask set for the CMOS will be about $100,000 then I suspect it's worthwhile sorting out the foundations.

thank you for your recommendation.  :)But now I am reading Allen's book.  In fact all I want to do is just design an op amp using IBM  0.13-micron CMOS fabrication process. And this op amp must be meet some specifications. I can only get transisitor model now, not the .lib for Hspice or Cadence. How can I do about it?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:37:30 pm »

thank you for your recommendation.  :)But now I am reading Allen's book.  In fact all I want to do is just design an op amp using IBM  0.13-micron CMOS fabrication process. And this op amp must be meet some specifications. I can only get transisitor model now, not the .lib for Hspice or Cadence. How can I do about it?

you are either trolling ,wasting our time or wasting your time.

you talk about ibm 130 nanometer process but clearly have no clue about how to design silicon.

first of all you will need
- the schematic editor ( most likely Cadence Opus) so you can draw up the schematic of the opamp.
- the p-cell generators for the transistors. so you know their width, length and doping
- Dracula , LVS and the extractors. so you can verify layout versus schematic , design rule checking and extract the netlist with electrical properties and parasitics.
- Access to an IC simulator like Eldo to run the extracted model

anything else doesn't fly...

If you have the transistor models you can try to create spice elements and do a rudimentary sim. but that will not yield a correctly working opamp.
ultimately you will need to extract form the placed layout and run that one, and then you will need access to the above tools. there is no way around it. That is how silicon design works.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:07 pm »
How about being more realistic?

If you just want to get a feel for CMOS op-amp design, without doing anything with silicon, just buy some CD4007s. You should be able to put together a working op-amp which you can demonstrate to your lecturer.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »
Have I got just the product for you!  http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2014/the-xl741/

:D
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »
Grey and Meyer - Analog Integrated Circuit Design

Offline Retep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »
Designing Analog Chips - Hans Camenzind. This book can be freely downloaded here: http://www.designinganalogchips.com

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 12:09:38 am »
Designing Analog Chips - Hans Camenzind. This book can be freely downloaded here: http://www.designinganalogchips.com

Their server is not configured correctly and is serving a perl script instead of executing it. The book is at http://www.designinganalogchips.com/_count/designinganalogchips.pdf

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 01:30:03 pm »

you are either trolling ,wasting our time or wasting your time.

you talk about ibm 130 nanometer process but clearly have no clue about how to design silicon.

first of all you will need
- the schematic editor ( most likely Cadence Opus) so you can draw up the schematic of the opamp.
- the p-cell generators for the transistors. so you know their width, length and doping
- Dracula , LVS and the extractors. so you can verify layout versus schematic , design rule checking and extract the netlist with electrical properties and parasitics.
- Access to an IC simulator like Eldo to run the extracted model

anything else doesn't fly...

If you have the transistor models you can try to create spice elements and do a rudimentary sim. but that will not yield a correctly working opamp.
ultimately you will need to extract form the placed layout and run that one, and then you will need access to the above tools. there is no way around it. That is how silicon design works.

Maybe I have not make it clear. I am not wasting your time or my time, all I want to do is just design the schematics and use the Hspice to simulate the characteristics of amp. Then by changing the W/L and schematic structure to meet the specificaitons. No need to consider about the layout. I need to consider the tradeoffs of the specificaitons.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 01:50:12 pm »
Grey and Meyer - Analog Integrated Circuit Design

Thank you, I have also see the 741 op amp in this book.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 01:55:57 pm »

Their server is not configured correctly and is serving a perl script instead of executing it. The book is at http://www.designinganalogchips.com/_count/designinganalogchips.pdf

Thanks a lot, really practical. Then I just need time to read these books. :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf