Author Topic: Can I connect the two 30V outputs of my DP832A in series?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline loiphinTopic starter

• Contributor
Can I connect the two 30V outputs of my DP832A in series?
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »
Hi all,

This may be a stupid question, but I better ask... Can I put the two outputs (30V)  of my DP832A in series, to get 60V?  All I really need is 34V to drive a monster LED.

Bad idea?

Thanks,

loiphin.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:06:23 pm by loiphin »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: Can I connect the two 30V outputs of my DP832A in series?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:11:17 pm »
Probably, you can put a link between 0V on one and 30V output on the other and measure the two outer points with a meter, on mine if I set it to two 12V outputs I get 24V, but they are isolated supplies.
another option if you only want a bit extra is to use a boost converter, you can get these from Ebay quite cheap if you only want one.

Offline loiphinTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »
The problem is that even if I used a boost converter and one output of my bench supply, I could only draw 90W (before any losses from boost converter) from my supply, before any losses (30V @ 3A). I suppose I don't need to run the 100W LED at full power :)

Offline Artraze

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:20:21 pm »
You probably can, but I'm not 100% certain.  In the past I scanned the datasheet for a specific figure and couldn't find one, but the front panel has "max 240V to ground".  That normally means the outputs should be floatable to +/- 240V with respect to the case/mains ground.

Just keep in mind that outputs 2 and 3 aren't isolated from each other, so you would have to use outputs 1 and 2 and would probably want to leave 3 disconnected.  I would suggest you double check the datasheet to see if you can find anything about floating / series connections.  If not, it would probably be a good idea to test it yourself by wiring a high value resistor and ammeter between the supplies in order to ensure that there are not unexpected (and bad) current paths.

Offline radioFlash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:50:36 pm »
I've done exactly that-connected both 30v outputs in series to drive a high power LED without any problems.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf