Author Topic: Can I run this welder on my home wiring?  (Read 11450 times)

Offline made2hackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
Can I run this welder on my home wiring?
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:50:25 pm »
Hello all,

Here's the "datasheet" on a low-end chinese welding machine. The model is the first one, the 130B. Am I reading this data correct? That when welding, the output voltage drops to 23.2V and you are putting through anywhere from 60-130 amps?

So, I could potentially be using from 1400W - 3020 W? So will I be Ok using this welder on a 230V / 16 Amp circuit?

Also, what does 10% duty cycle mean in this case? What about Rated Input Capacity of 7Kva?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: Can I run this welder on my home wiring?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:53:46 pm »
The duty cycle refers to the amount of arc time VS the amount of resting time. (no Arc) That is a really low end welder...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:04:21 pm »
Hello all,

Here's the "datasheet" on a low-end chinese welding machine. The model is the first one, the 130B. Am I reading this data correct? That when welding, the output voltage drops to 23.2V and you are putting through anywhere from 60-130 amps?

So, I could potentially be using from 1400W - 3020 W? So will I be Ok using this welder on a 230V / 16 Amp circuit?

Also, what does 10% duty cycle mean in this case? What about Rated Input Capacity of 7Kva?

The technology used will have an influence on how your supply manages the load, inverter types are the most efficient.
10% DC is very low, it might imply this is just a transformer type welder, so yes you must modify your use to stay within it's ratings.
In saying this, standards specify the max welder temp rise permissible and even 1C above a duty cycle range will make the rating drop to the next range down, in this case 10% @ FULL power.
I'd be using only 12G, 2.5mm rods in this one.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:20:46 pm »
The duty cycle refers to the amount of arc time VS the amount of resting time. (no Arc) That is a really low end welder...

It is without a doubt the cheapest one they list.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:21:03 pm »
What about Rated Input Capacity of 7Kva?

That's the number you want to pay attention to.

You might not even get an arc going on a B16.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:22:43 pm »
The technology used will have an influence on how your supply manages the load, inverter types are the most efficient.
10% DC is very low, it might imply this is just a transformer type welder, so yes you must modify your use to stay within it's ratings.

If that's the case, can I just use a transformer that I wire myself for 24V and with some heavy enameled wire?

I have to go back and watch Post Apocalyptic Inventor's video on the subject of welder transformers.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:24:38 pm »

If that's the case, can I just use a transformer that I wire myself for 24V and with some heavy enameled wire?

Welding requires a limited current or you'll just blow stuff up. They're not just plain transformers, they use a shunt to restrict output (usually).

Also, you need some very, very heavy wire to handle 60A+ in a transformer (and that's why the duty cycle sucks).

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
  • Former Welder, IT guy, and Ham Radio Junkie
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 08:32:05 pm »

Duty cycle, (at least with Welding Machines) refers to the amount of time you can be welding constantly in a 10 minute time period. For example, 10% duty cycle would mean you can weld for 1 minute, and then you have to let the machine rest for 9 minutes before you use it again. 10% is a very low duty cycle. You want something more like 20-40%. Using less power will increase the duty cycle as opposed to if you had the machine maxed out.

Example, my Idealarc is rated for a 30% duty cycle at 250 amps. If I am running a 3/32" rod at 80-90 amps, I'm pretty darn close to a usable 100% duty cycle.

16 amp circuit may be a little light... My Lincoln IdealArc is rated for a 50 amp circuit, but I use it on a 40 amp circuit. That said, I never max out the machine, so it doesn't pull the full amount of current and has never tripped the breaker. You might shoot to install a 30 amp circuit at minimum.

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:34:52 pm »
Oh, and I almost forget, don't buy Chinese Welding Machines. You will only be sorry and wind up with a piece of shit that will leave you wondering if these bad welds are the fault of you or the machine.

You can get really good machines like Lincoln, Miller, Hobart on the used market at good prices, because the economy is slow and people aren't building stuff they way used to. Check out craigslist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:18:04 pm »

You need output current control.
In the spec sheet it's a heavy pig, why not consider something like this?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/welding-200A/32226258912.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.3mntsO&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_4_79_78_77_82_80_62,searchweb201644_0,searchweb201560_4

5.5 Kg complete shipped.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Floyo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 09:30:46 pm »
Oh, and I almost forget, don't buy Chinese Welding Machines. You will only be sorry and wind up with a piece of shit that will leave you wondering if these bad welds are the fault of you or the machine.

You can get really good machines like Lincoln, Miller, Hobart on the used market at good prices, because the economy is slow and people aren't building stuff they way used to. Check out craigslist.

Seconding this, I started with one of those bottom of the barrel welders, it was soooo awful. The dutycycle of 10% is rather bad, I cannot express how frustrating it is to be five electrodes into a welding job and have the "overheat" light come on, which means you get to wait for like 30 minutes before you get another single electrodes worth of welding. Either look for something second-hand, like an oldschool professional welder, or a decent brand inverter. Those have the advantage of being super light and tiny, and they start an arc really easily. Also overspec your machine a bit, none but the biggest welders will run on full blast all day long (those actually have watercooling in the torches etc), and being able to use bigger diameter electrodes is also nice.

When I got sick of that crappy welder I bought a Lincoln MIG unit, much bigger and more expensive, but so much better built, it just always works. I did have problems with the breaker tripping due to the inrush current on the higher settings. I replaced the breaker for the welding circuit by an oldschool ceramic fuse, which doesn't blow because of inrush. It depends on your local codes if you can actually do that. Getting modern breakers with different breaking characteristics is also possible. All this is more important for a MIG welder though, since an MMA unit does not switch off the transformer when you put away the handpiece.

Offline Fank1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:50:33 pm »
Max rated input on 220 is 7 KVA or nearly 32 amps.
You would need a 50 A circuit to run safely.

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 11:38:42 pm »

So, for Wire Feed welding you actually need a Constant Voltage Welding Power Supply. TIG (GMAW) and Stick (SMAW) both use Constant Current Welding Power Supplies.

Offline briselec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 12:55:35 am »
Max rated input on 220 is 7 KVA or nearly 32 amps.
You would need a 50 A circuit to run safely.

Please rephrase that. Safety has nothing to do with the size of the load matching the current carrying capacity of the circuit. What you meant to say was it would require a 32 amp circuit to run at full amps without tripping the circuit protection device.

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »

So, for Wire Feed welding you actually need a Constant Voltage Welding Power Supply. TIG (GMAW) and Stick (SMAW) both use Constant Current Welding Power Supplies.

Your nomenclature is not quite correct.  TIG = GTAW, MIG = GMAW.  GOOD TIG welders generally offer high frequency starts to facilitate an easier arc start along with a variable frequency balancing "pushing or pulling" the arc balance to help with pulling impurities out and the amount of heat that the tungsten electrode will be subjected to / penetration.  "AC" is used for aluminum.

"DC" is generally used for TIG welding steel.

CURRENT is the main adjustable controlling factor for wire / electrode / tungsten size and material thickness whether it is AC/DC, SMAW, GTAW or GMAW.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:29:46 pm by john_p_wi »

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 02:29:49 pm »
You are correct that I mixed up my nomenclature, but I can guarantee you on any WIRE FEED type welding, you are controlling voltage, not current. Only the bigger/better machines will acutally calibrate the "HEAT" control in volts.

For example, check out this multiprocess welder: https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/multiprocess/xmt-350-vs-multiprocess-welders

You will see it can be calibrated in Volts for Wire Feed, or Amps for stick/TIG.

For a more detailed explanation, see this: http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/arc-welding-101-cv-or-cc-what-s-the-difference-
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:32:36 pm by moya034 »

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 03:02:45 pm »
This is an overly generality and simplistic comment on the MIG welders.  MIG welders use Voltage to establish the arc, voltage is determined by wire size and wire feed speed.  Current is what actually does the welding.

I'll admit, been a number of years 15+, since I worked as a supervisor in a mainly GTAW production facility.  I'm sure technology has changed to simplify equipment setting and operations.  The guys were welding 0.032 / 0.040 in SS ribbon to 1/4" thick x 3" inconel buss bar all day long / 2 shifts.

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 03:12:37 pm »
This is an overly generality and simplistic comment on the MIG welders.  MIG welders use Voltage to establish the arc, voltage is determined by wire size and wire feed speed.  Current is what actually does the welding.
CURRENT is determined by wire size and speed in a MIG welder. The Voltage is controlled by the user, which defines the arc length, which controls whether the transfer mode is short circuit, globular, or spray.

In Stick and TIG, the user sets the Current, which is determined based on the diameter and flux type of electrode. The voltage is going to change based on the arc length which is controlled by the user manually.

The machine settings have not changed in 15 years, nor how they work (Except for square wave technology). CV is used for MIG, and CC for stick and TIG. There is no over simplification here, that is how it works. I challenge you to produce a document from a reputable source that says otherwise.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 03:47:01 pm »
Though higher than the nominal 16 A rating for essentially all 230 V outlets, the welder should work an most household outlets. The at the low 10% duty cycle normal B16 fuses allow for something like 30 A for a while.

It won't help very much if the welder would permit a higher duty cycle, als the fuse and wiring might not. For larger parts you may want a welder that runs from a more powerfull 400 V (3 phase) outlet.  It depends on the fuses used, so there are chances to trip a fuse that reacts relatively fast.

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:08 pm »
If upgrading the circuit capacity is not possible, then your best bet would to get an engine driven welding machine. No electric power needed. 8)

(Unfortunately, multiprocess engine driven machines are expensive, and you will still have to purchase a separate wire feeder)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 03:55:37 pm »
Though higher than the nominal 16 A rating for essentially all 230 V outlets, the welder should work an most household outlets. The at the low 10% duty cycle normal B16 fuses allow for something like 30 A for a while.

~200s thermal, assuming it doesn't trip magnetically, which is highly likely. From experience, a 2-3kVA transformer will trip a B16 quite easily.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:57:28 pm by Monkeh »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »
It will basically be usable to weld up anything that you can do with a single 2.5mm welding rod, without overheating or tripping the mains breaker. While the circuit is rated for 16A, it typically will be protected by a 20A breaker, which will generally not trip for the time it takes to use up the single rod.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »
While the circuit is rated for 16A, it typically will be protected by a 20A breaker, which will generally not trip for the time it takes to use up the single rod.

That would be a 20A circuit, not a 16A circuit.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 06:58:05 pm »
While the circuit is rated for 16A, it typically will be protected by a 20A breaker, which will generally not trip for the time it takes to use up the single rod.

Here in South Africa a socket outlet is nominally rated at 16A maximum, but the cable in the wall is rated for 20A, and is protected by a 20A circuit breaker. Typically you have 2 socket outlets per breaker, in a single outlet box, though you can daisy chain a near unlimited number of sockets on one breaker providing you do not exceed length of cable for voltage drop. Typical use would be adjacent rooms having a single breaker feeding the socket outlets in the room, mounted back to back on the wall, and the kitchen might have 2 or more breakers for outlets depending on the size, but they normally are very frugal socket wise, typically one per room in the house.

In Australia/NZ I do understand they can either be 16A or 20A outlets, but even there the 16A outlet will still be able to handle a short period of welding using a 2.5mm welding rod, as there you are between 80-110A or so, so the input power draw will be lower than 30A.

Admittedly a welding plant is the only home use item that can draw much more current than a single standard ( for any country) socket can supply, but they have such a low duty cycle in home use ( 30s on, 10 minutes weld prep, slag removal, setup of weld) so are usable without needing to have a dedicated high current socket and cord set for the welder, which you do need with proper high duty cycle welding equipment that is rated for near continuous duty welding at max power.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:34 pm »

Here in South Africa a socket outlet is nominally rated at 16A maximum, but the cable in the wall is rated for 20A, and is protected by a 20A circuit breaker. Typically you have 2 socket outlets per breaker, in a single outlet box, though you can daisy chain a near unlimited number of sockets on one breaker providing you do not exceed length of cable for voltage drop. Typical use would be adjacent rooms having a single breaker feeding the socket outlets in the room, mounted back to back on the wall, and the kitchen might have 2 or more breakers for outlets depending on the size, but they normally are very frugal socket wise, typically one per room in the house.

In Australia/NZ I do understand they can either be 16A or 20A outlets, but even there the 16A outlet will still be able to handle a short period of welding using a 2.5mm welding rod, as there you are between 80-110A or so, so the input power draw will be lower than 30A.

Admittedly a welding plant is the only home use item that can draw much more current than a single standard ( for any country) socket can supply, but they have such a low duty cycle in home use ( 30s on, 10 minutes weld prep, slag removal, setup of weld) so are usable without needing to have a dedicated high current socket and cord set for the welder, which you do need with proper high duty cycle welding equipment that is rated for near continuous duty welding at max power.

So, SA has firestarter wiring regulations. This is not typical.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf