Author Topic: Delete Delete Delete  (Read 1348 times)

Offline The_Almighty_Bacon_LordTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
Delete Delete Delete
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:20:40 am »
Delete Delete Delete
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:23:49 pm by The_Almighty_Bacon_Lord »

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
Re: Can I upgrade the LCD on the JYETech DSO 062?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:37:58 am »
The schematic is available on the JYETech website.  But I doubt this would work without new firmware to deal with the additional resolution, and probably a revised circuit as well.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 07:59:39 pm »
The used display is this one.
It's a typical 128x64 LCD, with a KS108 controller
The interface is the classic 8bits + register select + R/W, similar to the HD44780 one, but with a different set of commands.

LCDs with a similar physical interface (8bits + control signals) can be found in many sizes can be found, but with different controllers (tipically an xx6963 for non TFT ones).

Peabody doubts are well justified, there is no way an higher resolution display would work without changes to the firmware, even for displays with the same command set.
Since, AFAICS, JYETech does not provide the source code, it would be quite hard to make these changes.

If you are willing to rewrite the software form scratch, you can adapt to more or less any display...but consider also the limitations of the ATmega64.
Is it worth the effort?
Maybe as a learning exercise, I myself did something similar for this board some time ago.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:01 am »
If you do this, update firmware, select new LCD, try to get a
transflective LCD with LED backlight. That way its direct sun
capable. Kyocera makes great transflectives, but pricey.

Pay attention to viewing angles as well.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:18:18 am »
This would be no easy exercise - even for someone who knew how to do it.

I would be rather hesitant suggesting this as a project - unless someone was really, really keen on tackling it.

This comment, however, makes me think you are going to be biting off far more than you can chew:
I personally know nothing about programming, so I have no idea if this would be useful.

Just the basics of programming can be a challenge, but when you get into time critical stuff - like an oscilloscope - you may find that if you get your changes to work, that they just run too slow or have other timing problems.

Nevertheless, if you DO go for this and get it to work well, you will have gained knowledge and experience that will serve you well.  However, I would not expect someone who actually started employment in that sort of tech area to have that level of skill in under 2 years.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:00:47 am »
At the bottom of this page (https://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e062C.php), it states there is the source code download for the "learning edition" (no idea what that means). Would that not be the actual source code? They also provided documentation elsewhere on how to flash firmwares onto it (https://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/How%20To%20Program%20062%20Oscilloscope.pdf). I personally know nothing about programming, so I have no idea if this would be useful.
How did I manage to miss it? :-//
The provided source is a "Learning Edition" with the following limitations:
1 ) Maximun sampling rate was limited to 100Ksps
2 ) No FFT function
3 ) No screen image transfer (hardcope) function
They are not too serious, for learning, the only crippling one is 1).
Moreover, the screen routines are segregated in a single file with some provision for parametrization.

As Brumby says, though, if you have never programmed at all, especially embedded code, you'll be up to a good dose of frustration.

Maybe it's a project to shelve for the moment, while you work your way through the embedded programming word.
It depends, of course, if programming is something you have an interest for, even if nowadays, apart from pure analogue stuff,  it's very difficult to keep a distance from programmable HW of some sort..
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf