Author Topic: Can I use a 1A Bell transformer to power my arduino based door bell  (Read 2168 times)

Offline amateur_25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,
I have designed a Westminster theme door bell for my parents. Being old and also our house is fairly big, they can't hear the door bell. 
I was once told that these bell transformers aren't really suitable for driving heavy loads continuously. However my circuit only contains
an lm380 audio opamp, a 2w speaker (4ohm I think), ld33cv reg, N channel mosfet, and a atmega328p chip. Will it work or will I
need a pcb mount transformer? I'm learning towards it will work fine but I thought I'd ask.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Can I use a 1A Bell transformer to power my arduino based door bell
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:54:52 pm »
What sort of transformer is it?

You'll most likely need a bridge rectifier, a large smoothing capacitor and a voltage regulator.

Offline amateur_25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:25 am »
Sorry I should have specified the transformer type.  STUPID!
Yes I understand I will need a bridge rectifier. It's a Friedland Bell transformer Doorbell transformer D753 it outputs 8vac.
I thought it would be fine but wanted to ask before I break a brand new transformer. So it should be fine right?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:40:30 am »
When properly rectified and filtered, your 8VAC will produce around 11VDC.

You say "Arduino", but then you talk about an ATMEGA328P and a LD33CV as if you were creating your own "Arduino-like" board from scratch.
Note that your LD33CV will take a maximum input of only 15V DC. So you have some breathing room there, but not an over-abundance.
Did you actually MEASURE the doorbell power transformer output yourself, or did you "dry lab" it?

Note also that once you rectify and filter the 8VAC dorbell power, you will need some isolating way of switching it or sensing it.
That is to say, neither side of the doorbell line can be connected to Arduino ground.
I would use an opto-isolator on input and output nodes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf