Author Topic: Can undervoltage hurt a circuit?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Can undervoltage hurt a circuit?
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:02:12 pm »
Hi,

A friend of mine was looking at a broken board with me and he was using a variac to bring it up slowly instead of just hammering it with full strength mains all at once.  One question I have (and I probably should have asked him) is, are there circuits that will not be happy with being fed 10V, 20V, 30V instead of 120V and while I understand they likely won't work properly, could under voltage cause damage to components?

Thanks,

Alan

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Can undervoltage hurt a circuit?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:09:02 pm »
Depends on the circuit. AC motors don't like undervoltage because they stall and can draw excessive current. Some switched mode power supplies also draw more current when subject to undervoltage.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:19:57 pm »
Incidentally the switching power supply failure mode is a function of watts usually. If you have to say deliver 10W to a load, at 10V, that's 1A at the input assuming 100% efficiency (ideal case here!). If you then half that to 5V and the switching supply doesn't shut down and the source can deliver the current then that's 2A going through instead. Any non conservatively rated components tend to go to silicon heaven then.

MC34063's are notorious for this as the switching transistor built into them is fragile.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:41:19 pm »
Yes, we once had a product that when used with almost empty batteries made the boost converter release the magic smoke. Turned out that the battery monitoring was set a bit too low...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:59:29 pm »
It sounds like the "short" of it is that it depends...  Is there something that you can use to limit current after the output of variac?  Obviously a fuse comes to mind, but something more like a DC bench power supply that would let you say, 500mA maximum...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
Some older processors that require power sequencing may be locked up or in a brownout state as well, depending on how the different voltage regulators start up in undervoltage conditions. I don't recall anything permanently locked up in these conditions, but I am not so sure if devices that are flash/EEPROM programmed at power up  can be damaged permanently (or recall a great deal of effort to come out of depletion mode).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 04:26:18 pm »
Its anecdotal, anonymized and not mine, (Reddit: Tales From Tech Support), but here's the tale from a chip manufacturer's support tech.  Parts:-
I've summarized the technical issues below.

<spoiler space>

</spoiler space>

TLDR:  Customer ignores chip manufacturer's datasheet power sequencing requirements - rash of premature field failures occur: Increasing tendency to crash, requiring a hard reboot with every power cycle + its (long odds) Russian roulette  with every cycle if  it will 'brick' it or let the holy smoke out!  :-BROKE
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:34:37 pm by Ian.M »

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 05:14:54 pm »
Hi,

A friend of mine was looking at a broken board with me and he was using a variac to bring it up slowly instead of just hammering it with full strength mains all at once.  One question I have (and I probably should have asked him) is, are there circuits that will not be happy with being fed 10V, 20V, 30V instead of 120V and while I understand they likely won't work properly, could under voltage cause damage to components?

Thanks,
Alan

Definitely YES, particularly power switching circuits using power mosfets, if there is insufficient gate voltage available to sustain saturation the device can fail due to excessive power dissipation. Of course if the circuit as a whole has been properly designed there should be an undervoltage detector to prevent such a situation but then properly usually comes at a price :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:06:40 am by fourtytwo42 »

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 10:24:01 pm »
The first version of the great little yaesu ft-817 ham radio transceiver had a bug concerning undervoltage:

IIRC, the final amplifier stage of the transmitter is connected to battery voltage, and if the battery runs down to a certain voltage level it started oscillating which lead to a early demise of the expensive final MOSFETs. Possibly a voltage regulator going nuts near their gate was a culprit, too.

BR
babysitter

I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 10:02:35 am »
And it happened to mine this year. I am just taking a break after removing the old final amp and soldering the new one and searchbrought up my own post.
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 10:35:06 am »
You can also damage things in some systems that need +ve and -ve supply if you power the circuit up with one of them missing.

A long time ago i wanted to run a pc motherboard in the car from 12V. I knew I would need to generate +5 and -5V but was curious if I also needed -12V too, so I powered it up without the -12V ATX wire connected.
Everything worked except for the soundcard which wasn't happy and blew a transistor, which i then had to fix.  :palm:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 10:39:55 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online ifonlyeverything

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 11:57:55 am »
SMPS without proper under-voltage lockout can blow up if you spend too much time at low voltage. MOSFETs won't fully switch on and off due to insufficient gate-source voltage.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline p.larner

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 09:03:07 pm »
i seem to recall the mel prc-320 radio unit 5 psu was common to fail when the nicad pack was low due to more amps being drawn to makeup the wattage?.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 04:26:16 pm »
Been there with cheap ebay DC-DC that caught fire as an AA stack went into retirement.
A shocker.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 04:44:18 pm »
Not precisely the same scenario, but I have damaged a few 40106's by hovering the input (not VCC) signal peak level very near the triggering threshold, just a tiny bit below it. At a sufficient repetition rate the IC begins to draw a lot of power and eventually dies. And that's while the input voltage stays well within the spec!

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 08:22:38 pm »
yes, if circuit has DC/DC converter its efficiency drops down with rise voltage delta between input and output, so lower or higher voltage leads to higher heating. Step-up DC/DC also drain more high current from source with lower voltage. As result, undervoltage leads to higher heating and higher current flow and it can damage circuit components if it don't have protection.

Also, as mentioned above, MOSFET may not fully opened with undervoltage, so it leads to higher resistance and as result higher heating. So, it can be burned out if there is no protection.

Overvoltage also can damage circuit, because it can lead to higher current and higher temperature and can lead to breakdown of capacitors and semiconductor elements, such as transistors or diodes.

Note, that both - undervoltage and overvoltage can lead to higher temperature which causes transistor and capacitors ageing much faster. So, even if circuit is still works with undervoltage or overvoltage it still leads to shortened lifetime of circuit.

Overvoltage or undervoltage also can lead to a higher current in the inductors which can leads to inductor core saturation and as result high heating which can damage or melt inductor core or degrade its magnetic properties.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 08:35:32 pm by radiolistener »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 11:15:55 pm »
SMPS without proper under-voltage lockout can blow up if you spend too much time at low voltage. MOSFETs won't fully switch on and off due to insufficient gate-source voltage.

And even if the transistors switch fully, at lower voltages the input current becomes higher so current related losses are higher and parts may overheat from IR^2 losses.  Off-line switching power supplies usually have a specified minimum input voltage.

Usually switching power supplies can operate over a 2:1 input voltage range, however wide input range units commonly support a 4:1 input supply voltage range, and some may be higher.  For this to work, the switching transistors have to both support double the voltage and double the current, making them larger and more expensive, and lowering efficiency because of increased switching losses.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 11:19:38 pm by David Hess »

Offline liaifat85

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2024, 06:48:09 am »
Yes. It is possible. Some power supplies and voltage regulators may not operate properly below a certain input voltage. This can lead to unstable output voltages and potentially affect the components connected to them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf