Author Topic: Can your typical electronics hobbyist benefit from a spectrum analyzer?  (Read 8436 times)

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Can your typical electronics hobbyist benefit from a spectrum analyzer?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 11:36:11 am »
Yeah but it is rarely "tool x vs no tool x" but "tool x vs getting something else, possibly more useful"

Like if you need "a tool to experiment with filters" (in near-audio range I assume, based on "breadboard), something like Analog Discovery will give you way more bang per buck as it:

* can start from lower frequency
* built-in generator
* built-in power supply (so you can just connect all wires from your project to same box

Or as others mentioned, just a scope + generator, as both of them are immensely useful

And when you will need the spectrum analyzer, you'd at least played with one enough to know what exactly you want

Offline 4CX35000

• Regular Contributor
Re: Can your typical electronics hobbyist benefit from a spectrum analyzer?
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 01:45:50 pm »
Hello,

I am considering buying a spectrum analyzer (probably a cheap used one) but I am wondering how much use will I be able to get out of it if I end up buying it. I know those things are expensive so I want to make sure that it is not going to just sit there in the off position.

As of today, my primary motivation for buying one of this things is for learning experiences. For example, I constantly see articles in books or online about passive filters and I would really (I mean really, really, really) like to build some filters myself and test their behavior in real life. Having a spectrum analyzer will allow me to compare the theory vs reality using different types of components, typologies, cable lengths, PCB vs breadboard etc (just for fun and learning). I am also thinking on getting a little more into RF and I think the spectrum analyzer could come in handy there (also mostly for learning).

Nevertheless, I have no illusions of one day acquiring enough knowledge to do electronics for a living, most likely this will remain a hobby and there is a big chance that my biggest accomplishment will end up being creating a blinking light circuit using a 555. However (and this is important), my goal is to create the best 555 blinking light circuit ever created, complete with impedance matched PCB traces and all. Not because the circuit needs to be that precised but because I believe you can learn a lot on how electronics work even from the most basic circuits as long as you push the circuit to the limits (at least I hope so and the reason why I may end up needing a spectrum analyzer).

So what do you guys think, can your typical electronics hobbyist benefit from a spectrum analyzer? Or is this a total overkill (the cost outweighs he learning benefits)?

Thanks.

Unless your working on RF circuitry, then you have little reason to require a spectrum analyser. Buy a reasonable mid range oscilloscope with FFT if you need simple spectrum analysing features up to a few MHz and spend your time experimenting developing your skills and understanding before going further.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf