Author Topic: Can't see all a component with an Amscope se400-Z  (Read 3526 times)

Offline nbenmTopic starter

Can't see all a component with an Amscope se400-Z
« on: January 12, 2019, 03:37:41 pm »
Hi everybody,

I've just bought an Amscope SE400-Z.
I want to solder a tqfp 100 pins IC, but I can't see it all. I see only parts. So it's difficult to place it correctly on the board.
Is there a way to see all the component at once ?

Thanks in advance.

Noury
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:44:31 pm by nbenm »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Can't see all a component with an Amscope se400-Z
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:54 pm »
You would want to select 10x and not 20x.  Then you might try to move the head as high as possible while still attaining good focus.  That's about all you can do with the microscope.

What you might want to do is pay attention to the corners.  Tack down opposite corners to get the chip positioned and then solder each row of pins.  Sometimes you can do this with just a simple visor type magnifier.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 06:14:45 pm »
You have bought the wrong tool for the job, sadly. That's the bad news.

Now the good news - that microscope has replaceable lenses, both the objectives and oculars (eyepieces). Go back to Amscope and get a combination that will give you about a 5x to 10x total magnification, that's what is the most useful for general work.

I have the same microscope and I have asked the UK seller to replace the stock lenses with 1x and 2x objectives (there were two sets in the kit) and 5x and 10x eyepieces, giving me the range from 5x to 20x magnification - which is plenty for soldering and inspection. The original had like 40x magnification which is completely useless for this type of work. Most often I am using only the basic 5x, changing to 10x only to work with very very tiny components (plus changing the lenses is a hassle on this scope, requiring removing tiny setscrews - but you do get what you pay for ...)

Your 10x is way too much if you want to see a huge component like TQFP 100 in its entirety. Even at 5x it may not be possible or it will be really just.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:33:53 pm »
It is the right tool. I use this microscope and it works fine, but with 10X lenses at most. And I think the last time we figured out that it is actually 5X overall magnification.

There is no need to see all of 100 pins. You can align the part pretty close on one corner, then solder one pin, go to the opposite corner, align the pins there (with experience no changes will be necessary), and solder one pin there. Now solder the rest of them.
Alex

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:43:12 pm »
What will help is a 0.5x objective lens but i do not know if Amscope makes it for your scope model. With a 0.5x lens you get a wider field of view.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:57:55 pm »
It is the right tool. I use this microscope and it works fine, but with 10X lenses at most. And I think the last time we figured out that it is actually 5X overall magnification.

Wrong tool as in buying a version with 40x magnification - they have versions of this with different lenses too.

What will help is a 0.5x objective lens but i do not know if Amscope makes it for your scope model. With a 0.5x lens you get a wider field of view.

Don't think they do but they have 1x objective:
https://www.amscope.com/accessories/objective/amscope-se1x-1x-stereo-objective-lenses-for-se420-microscope.html

And then use 5x eyepieces, if they didn't come with it, then they are available:
https://www.amscope.com/accessories/eyepiece/pair-of-wf5x-microscope-eyepieces-30-5mm.html

Offline Stiletto

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 04:25:24 am »
Amscope does not offer a 0.5x objective for the SE400Z, but microscope.com does offer an Omano objective for $38 that looks like it MIGHT fit the Amscope models as well.  This should do the trick for you I would think.
Check out my reply in another thread for more details:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/cant-see-all-a-component-with-an-amscope-se400-z/msg2123410/#msg2123410

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:05:08 am »
you don't need this tool to solder a tqfp100. you can align with your own eyes, then solder using solder paste and a heatgun, or using a wave soldering tip. you need the microscope to inspect your work after soldering, and remove some potential solder bridges.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 10:57:34 am »
Amscope does not offer a 0.5x objective for the SE400Z, but microscope.com does offer an Omano objective for $38 that looks like it MIGHT fit the Amscope models as well.  This should do the trick for you I would think.

There is really no need - AmScope has the 1x objective and with the 5x eyepieces you get 5x magnification with more than sufficient working distance already. I have this microscope myself and never felt the need for a 0.5x lens.

Of course, if the OP wants to see an entire tqfp100 at once then even this lens may not be enough - but then the question is why exactly do they need that?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:59:34 am by janoc »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 04:08:27 pm »

I want to solder a tqfp 100 pins IC, but I can't see it all. I see only parts. So it's difficult to place it correctly on the board.
Is there a way to see all the component at once ?

My system is, I put a little solder bump on two diagonal pads.  I then place the chip over the pads and push a bit to roughly align it.
I then use the microscope to align one corner pin to the solder bumped one, and reflow it with the soldering iron.  I then move the board so I can see the opposite corner, align and reflow that one.  Then, I move the board around so I can make sure all rows of pins are well-aligned.  If not, with only two pins soldered, I can "walk" the chip around by reheating one pin at a time while pushing a little with a finger.  When all pins are well-aligned, then I apply liquid flux all around the chip and reflow, working the iron down one row at a time.  Usually, there is enough solder on the board, but I occasionally add a little solder every few pins.  The flux does most of the work.

Jon

Offline Unleaded

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 12:33:04 am »
I am only replying to this thread to help others who might search this. I can confirm that the 0.5 objective lense listed above DOES fit the AmScope SE-400z and it does increase field of view. Your 10x lenses will act like .5x and thats not a bad thing.

The following users thanked this post: BrutoDetestsSB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf