Author Topic: cap brand identyfication  (Read 1893 times)

Offline kokodinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
cap brand identyfication
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:10:55 pm »
Hello i have a question today
I was fixing my old crt tv and i decided to make compleete recap for all electrolytic capacitors. Well tv kind of work, but it will be  30 years old next year and i wouldn't want to see any smoke before then.
So i went online and bought a bunch of caps, i kept to mostly known brands for bigger or high voltage ones (Rubyco,Elna Nichicon) for smaller ones below 100uF and 25V i just bought whatever they had, because most of the smaller caps were advertised as "audio caps" and i didn't want any snake oil so i ended up with a buch of daewoo caps. At least a brand i know and not generic black ones without any logo on them.
But something isn't right with one of those bigger caps. I might be paranoid, but i thought, before i put them in i ask wiser people about their opinion.
Caps in question are suposed to be Nichicon Chemi-con 470uF / 50v
what they are i am not sure, they have JAPAN printed on them, small font capital leters, next word is NRSA, CE85*C, 0035 Some kind of "Nc" logo and cap voltage and capacity
I am concern, because they measure a little low , (on ut139c non the les) 430-450uF range. They might be just old or unformed but who knows
I also have few TEAPO caps 470uf /63V but since oryginal caps in circuit were all 35-40V , 63V seems a little bit much.
What do you think?

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
Re: cap brand identyfication
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 04:25:09 pm »
Some pictures of the nichicon might help to authenticate. Sounds low.

The voltage rating, you always want to buy same voltage rating or higher, so, since the voltage rating is higher on ones you mentioned, no problem.
PEACE===>T

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »
front , back and a tape package
you should be albe to see all the prints
top can is cut in K shape i did not made photo of that
wraping is really deep dark green, it look much different on a photo

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:59 pm »
Those are Nic components, not nichicon. Tolerance for most of electrolytic capacitors is +/-20%. On top of that, measuring capacitors with multimeter is nearly useless to check them. When capacitors become old without voltage applied and insulating oxide layer becomes thinner, capacitance actually rises, not drops. Everything in 396uF -  564uf region is within spec
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:51:53 pm by wraper »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »
thanks for making it clear that the seller lied to me :]
are those caps any good? i know almost any capicitors would work and that they are in specs but i don't know much about brands and everything i know is mostly find online . I have bad experience with cheap caps from the past, they worked but not as long i would like

well all the other caps seems what they were to be

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:28 pm »
They are ok. Never buy parts on ebay or aliexpress, chances getting counterfeight components are very high, 100% for some parts. You have TME in Poland after all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf