Author Topic: cd4017 question...about reset pin  (Read 2349 times)

Offline rhesus3000Topic starter

• Contributor
cd4017 question...about reset pin
« on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:35 am »
I made new schematic for 4017 16 step sequencer. So i need to include a feature so i can reset it at 2,4,8 stages of 1st 4017 via a rotary switch.
So...to reset it for 2 stages...i connected pin4 to reset via switch...ect. My question is this...at the same time as it resets from pin4 it is connected to output...soo will it reset normaly or reset and activate pin4 output at the same time? What the result will be? Do i need to reset it one pin below? Here is the schem.

Offline BC109C

Re: cd4017 question...about reset pin
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:17:54 pm »
I've just had a quick look at your circuit and there are a few errors.
Your reset line cannot be left floating it has to be tied to ground via a resistor,
10k fior example.

You have not stated supply voltage and although some CMOS will work down to 3V you
have diodes D in your reset circuit. You have not stated their type but there will
be a voltage drop across them which you need to take into consideration if the circuit
was working on low voltage.

Some rotary switches are make before break. This could cause your circuit to reset
early deending on counter output.

Also rotary switches have contact bounce. This may be inportant depending on how
fast you intend to clock your circuit.

Reset on 4017 resets the output to "Q0"
Q4 output would be high momentarily before the count is reset to Q0.

That was just a quick glance and there may be points I have missed, hope that helps.

The following users thanked this post: rhesus3000

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
I made new schematic for 4017 16 step sequencer. So i need to include a feature so i can reset it at 2,4,8 stages of 1st 4017 via a rotary switch.
So...to reset it for 2 stages...i connected pin4 to reset via switch...ect. My question is this...at the same time as it resets from pin4 it is connected to output...soo will it reset normaly or reset and activate pin4 output at the same time? What the result will be? Do i need to reset it one pin below? Here is the schem.
I happen to have been playing around with a 4017 a week or two ago. When you tie one of the outputs to Reset, obviously the output will go on just as BC109C said (it has to, how else would it trigger the reset?), but the reset reacts so fast that the resulting pulse is extremely small. So small that I could barely get my oscilloscope to trigger on it.

I think what you are asking is this: if, say, output 4 is tied to Reset, will output 4 stay on for a full cycle, or does the reset occur immediately? No, it will not leave output 4 on for its full cycle, the reset happens immediately and output 4 will turn off as soon as the reset is detected.

The following users thanked this post: rhesus3000

Offline rhesus3000Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:14:29 pm »

I think what you are asking is this: if, say, output 4 is tied to Reset, will output 4 stay on for a full cycle, or does the reset occur immediately? No, it will not leave output 4 on for its full cycle, the reset happens immediately and output 4 will turn off as soon as the reset is detected.
YEAAAAAA THANK YOU!!!!
I've just had a quick look at your circuit and there are a few errors.
Your reset line cannot be left floating it has to be tied to ground via a resistor,
10k fior example.....

Very helpfull!!!!  Is this the floating reset you were talking about. And yes...i will delete those diods (1n4148)..you are right about the voltage drop i made a mistake!!!!  And the Vdd would be eigher 5..or 9...it depends

ONE MORE QUESTION...would cutting down vdd to second 4017 successfully "turn it off"...i mean would it be the same as taking it off the board physiclly?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:02:22 pm by rhesus3000 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf