Author Topic: Choose PSU that can handle back emf from motors  (Read 3018 times)

Offline nourTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • calm down, it is just a smoked oPamP!
Choose PSU that can handle back emf from motors
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:01 am »
I am not sure how to start this question, but I am trying to run 4 stepper motors with from 48V DC source each
It is Sanyo denki 103 - H7823 - 1741 bipolar motor, the specs as following:

Current 4A
Resistance 0.65R
Induction 2.4mH
Back E.M.F 75 V/Krpm

I want to know how to choose a proper Power supply to handle the motor back emf?

I read somewhere that the power supply should be able to handle the back emf so it wouldn't go through the drivers and other electronics!

I really do not understand this point, can someone explain how a power supply would or would not be able to handle the motor's emf?
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
Re: Choose PSU that can handle back emf from motors
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:27:05 am »
I would just use a flyback diode?

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:49:10 am »
You need free wheeling diodes to direct the current from back EMF to the supply. The usual driver circuits have that. The supply must be able to take up the extra current, that otherwise would raise the voltage too high. Usually just sufficient capacitance at the supply is enough.

Usually the main source is just the inductance, so the energy is rather limited: here E = 0.5 I²*L = 19,2 mJ. So not really much. At 40 V, that is only some 0.5 mAs or 0.5 V rise in a 1000 µF capacitor. Due to losses the actual energy will be lower. So something like a 1000 µF capacitor and a supply / driver that can stand a 1 V voltage rise should be enough.

The only exception would be, if the motor really has to work as a generator to slow down heavy parts. Than you might need a sink for the energy, e.g. a 2 quadrant supply or an extra circuit for over voltage limitation (e.g. a kind of power zener diode at 50 V).

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:01:58 am »
an extra circuit for over voltage limitation (e.g. a kind of power zener diode at 50 V).
TL431 + some chunky power transistors.

Offline nourTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • calm down, it is just a smoked oPamP!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 11:22:48 am »
Thanks for the contributors.
So basicly what I have understood if the output of a power supply have enough capacitance it would be ok, is that right !  ::)

if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:40:14 am »
The capacitance is Ok to cope with the magnetic back EMF. So if the motor is not running very fast (e.g. less than 500 RPM, so it would normally not go up to the supply level) and does not need to break a heavy load fast, the capacitance is enough. But if the motor is really converting significant mechanical energy to electricity more (like the active sink / clamp circuit) might be needed. The limit somewhat depends on the driver and details on how fast it runs / stops.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf