Author Topic: Choosing a display for device  (Read 594 times)

Offline mmrveljTopic starter

Choosing a display for device
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:40:07 pm »
Hi all

We have subcontractors that design a device for us. Device is like appliance (1RU) that will be installed in 19" rack in server room.

We are asked to define the display that will be put on front panel of the unit.

The purpose of display will be to provide elementary status information, help with initial configuration, and in some case display some simplified graphical information (that might need updates up to 2 times per second).

Some of the parameters:
  • reliable operation 24/7 for 5 years
  • able to display simple graphics
  • does not emit too much light (avoid distraction) - option where backlit (if there is one) can be turned on/off is acceptable
  • height not more then 38 mm
  • can be easily procured
  • number of devices to be produced in one production batch: 10-20
  • cost  < ~50 $ per display (current idea might be increased if there is a good reason)

I could really use a good advice/pointers on the type of display (technology, model) to choose. What should be taken into consideration when selecting the display?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Choosing a display for device
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 04:53:41 pm »
LCD would fit the bill. Since you want some graphics I'd go with a dot matrix type vs a character display. They are virtually immune to image burn and don't really degrade over time the way OLED does. You can easily adjust the brightness by controlling backlight current.

The following users thanked this post: mmrvelj

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf