Author Topic: Choosing coaxial cable for home made Function Gen. and/or Oscilloscope cables  (Read 1872 times)

Offline nourTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • calm down, it is just a smoked oPamP!
I want to make my own custom-length coaxial cables for my Function Gen.\ Oscilloscope so I decided to buy a around 5 meter of coaxial and some BNCs to do it
I started here
http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/coaxial-cables_100157/

Basically there is a lot of variations that confuses me.
I have narrowed down the search by selecting only 50 ohm impedance and of course rejected any minimum quantity more than 5+
So I ended up with few and choosed this one
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/rg316_u/coaxial-cables/helukabel/40203/

The basic usage will not involve more than 100-150 MHZ at most of the time and may be I will use it as 2.4GHZ antenna extension cable! and also I want the cable to be flexible as possible (Min. bending radius)

So what do you think about it and what should I care about when choosing this kind of coaxial cables?
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline nourTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • calm down, it is just a smoked oPamP!
Did I wrote the topic in the wrong section !!
It seems like it should have been in the test equipment section!
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
I was a little bewildered by the amount of choice when I went down this road as well, so you're not alone! Having said that, if you're mostly working down at only 100-150 MHz, just about anything will do. RG-58 and RG-316 (what you linked) are very popular and widely available choices, so I expect you won't have much trouble finding connectors to suit either. RG-58 has somewhat lower attenuation per meter than RG-316*, but RG-316 is much more flexible. So given your stated desire for flexible cable, and then relatively undemanding electrical nature of your requirements, I'd say that the RG-316 cable you selected is near-ideal.

Make sure that the plugs you buy are suited to the cable you get! There's no such thing as a universal BNC connector, there are BNC connectors for RG-58 and BNC connectors for RG-316. Make sure you can find suppliers for appropriate BNC/SMA/RP-SMA connector for your chosen cable before committing to the cable.

* See this enormous table of figures. In short, up around 2.4-3 GHz, a 60 cm length of RG-316 will have about the same attenuation as RG-58.

The following users thanked this post: nour

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf