Author Topic: Choosing transistors for radio frequency applications  (Read 43464 times)

Offline apisTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
Choosing transistors for radio frequency applications
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:13:50 am »
I've been trying to figure out how to select transistors for radio frequency circuits but not being able to find much information on the web. There are many radio circuits and plenty of guides of how to bias transistors and different amplifier configurations but not so much on selecting the right components for high frequency applications. A lot of the information that is out there is contradictory and some people just recommend to experiment and see what works (but that is a little bit cost prohibitive and you don't learn that much unless you have an idea about what is going on).

I finally found this PDF guide that seems to cover the basics of how to choose a transistor for HF and VHF/UHF at least.  :)

I thought id post it here if someone else is interested: http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/hobby/HG_DS1.pdf

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: Choosing transistors for radio frequency applications
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:15:18 am »
Look in the data sheet for a property called ft which is the theoretical maximum frequency of operation. I normally pick a device with an ft that's twice the frequency I'm working at.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:27:29 am »
A few common ones to get you started (some are quite old but you'll come across them in old circuits).

2N3904, BC548, 2N2222A - small signal transistors OK for RF  up to maybe 50 MHz (though an FM bug at 100 MHz will also be OK).  2N2222 a bit more powerful than the others.

MPF102, 2N3819, 2N5459 etc - small signal FETS. OK for RF amps up to maybe 150 MHz.

BF981, MPF121, MFE131 - good for VHF/UHF preamps

2N2369 - good for up to maybe 200 MHz - puts out a few tens of milliwatts - good for low level tx.  2N5179 also common in some countries.

2N3053, BFY50, 2N3019 - good for about a watt output in the lower HF range (up to about 10 MHz)

BD139 as above but nearer to 2w output

2N3866, 2N4427 - good for about a watt output up to maybe 200 MHz

2N3553 - as above but more like 1.5 to 2w out

IRF510 - highly capacitive input but can be made to operate on 7 or 14 MHz - or even higher.  Can give up to 3 - 5w at 12v and much more with 25v. Easy to blow up if bias is excessive.

A  basic low power transmitter for 3.5 or 7 MHz will have a few 2N3904 for the low level stages, then a 2N2222 then one or two 2N3053, BD139 or IRF510 for the final amp.  VHF might be 2N2222 (for say a crystal oscillator at a lower frequency), 2N2369 for freq multipliers or low level RF in the tens of milliwatts region, then 2N4427 in the hundreds of milliwatts, then 2N3553 for a couple of watts.

An HF or VHF receiver might have an MPF102 in the front end as an RF preamp, or even a dual gate MOSFET.  A receiver for the lower HF bands may have a 2N3904 instead, if an RF preamp is needed at all. 

These walkthroughs of simple transceiver circuits show where some of the above devices are used. 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:37:08 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »
Note that fT is peculiar to the method in which it is measured: output [AC] current (for AC grounded collector) divided by input current (don't care about base voltage).

You can still obtain useful voltage or power gain at frequencies above fT, especially if you cancel out Ccb (and Cce if applicable) with tuning and neutralization.  Or if you use a common-base amplifier with more input current than DC bias (something a cascode cannot do, but a transformer coupled circuit can).

It's interesting that, although this approach works particularly well for dominant capacitive components (like vacuum tubes and MOSFETs), BJTs have the additional phenomenon of recombination, which fundamentally limits how fast they can switch.  This is a large contributor to fT, so -- although it might not be strictly true that fT is a hard stopping point, it's probably just not worth it to push those extra few MHz.  And so, typically, you see transistors with fT of GHz, being used at 100s of MHz where the gain is high and performance is predictable.

(Vacuum tubes are pretty ridiculous about this aspect.  A typical DC wideband amplifier will roll off in the MHz.  But the tube itself might be good to 300MHz or more, if you merely add tuning!  Most semiconductors can't pull off such a feat; but they wouldn't want to, since their fundamental gain is so much higher that you get the added range for free!)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:26:18 pm »
I'll make the assumption you are talking about transmitting rather than receiving?, two things to remember, 1) always match your impedance when going from stage to stage (maximum power theorem)  and 2) using small rf formers get your source impedance as low as possible.

At the input of every transistor is a series cr circuit which determines your bandwidth, there's not much you can do about c but there is something you can do about r and that's why it's necessary to get your impedance down as low as possible.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:29:24 pm by commie »

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:45:10 pm »
I've been trying to figure out how to select transistors for radio frequency circuits but not being able to find much information on the web.

Transistors designed primarily for rf are very very expensive, so the trick is not to use them but instead use general purpose and/or switching transistors. There are techniques you can use which will make them work at hf.

Commie

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:16 pm »
The TO39 classics like 2N3866 and 2N5160 have gotten expensive... any good alternatives?

(I mean general purpose parts I can keep in stock, with a similar ft, in a cheaper package.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:06:40 am by edavid »

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:01:02 pm »
The TO39 classics like 2N3866 and 2N5160 have gotten expensive... any good alternatives?

It depends at which frequency you interested in, I assume hf (dc~30MHz), you can replace the 2n3866 with 2n2219a at much lower cost and will work no problem on the hf band.Be careful of buying 2n3866 on ebay, there are alot of fakes around parading as 'Motorola'.

Commie

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:31:53 pm »
Generally, for a given silicon topology then you can scale the drain or collector length to give higher power at the expense of higher noise figure and operating current. Siemens produced a lovely app note about it in the early 90s, or possibly the late 80's.

If you can provide a good description of what you want to achieve then I'm sure someone can suggest good cheap devices for your needs.

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:46:13 pm »
What is it with the hobbyist's love for 40 year old technology?  2N3904??  TO-39??  :o

The OP mentioned UHF, which goes up to 1 GHz.  These days RF goes well into the microwave bands, covering wifi, cellular bands, etc.

For output power under about a watt, you can get an actual, modern RF transistor for a buck or two.  You could maybe look at Digikey:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40015%2Cfff802eb%2C1c0002%2C1c0003%2C1c00c5%2C1c00fa&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=1&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=100

Yes, you can get up in the hundreds of dollars for parts that put out hundreds of watts at 1 GHz.  Because you will need something better than a 2N3055. :D

Another nice thing about real RF parts is they are usually specified with real RF specifications, like noise figure, gain, and output power at some target frequency.

There are also nowadays plenty of inexpensive RFICs and MMICs, even high speed differential amps and op-amps.  Discrete transistors are used less and less as time goes on.

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:30:37 am »
Thanks for all the replies!

I don't have a HAM licence so I'm only allowed to make recievers.

I have been wanting to try and make a AIS receiver for my family's boat. AIS is transmitted with GMSK-modulation at 161.975 MHz and 162.025 MHz. I'm guessing I would need a low noise pre-amplifier and then some buffer before mixing the signal down? I was planing on building an ordinary FM radio receiver first though since the demodulation is more straight forward (or maybe it isn't, but FM is more familiar to me) and it uses similar frequencies.

You can supposedly receive weather image data from both satellites and radio stations which could be fun as well. Not sure at what frequencies.

Then there is the 433 MHz ism band that all kind of cheap sensors use, would be nice to be able to log some of that data to a micro controller. I know there are cheap 433 MHz modules, but that would be cheating.

It would also be cool to calibrate my OCXO with the DCF77 signal from Braunschweig, but that is broadcast on 77.5 khz so in that case it's more about the antenna I suspect.

I have also been planning on building this counter:
http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/counter/history.html
more details:
http://www.vhfcomm.co.uk/Counter.pdf
But I haven't been able to find all the parts for the amplifier stages so I need to figure out what replacement parts to use, especially for the "ERA-2 MMIC" ??? That part is way over my head unfortunately. The digital and the low frequency stuff I am familiar with though. The design is from 1998 so maybe there are better chips to choose from now?

A few common ones to get you started (some are quite old but you'll come across them in old circuits).
<...>
These walkthroughs of simple transceiver circuits show where some of the above devices are used.
Thanks for the list. The "Beach 40" radio looks very nice! :D I might try and build the receiver part. I'm not entirely sure about the function of the bifilar toroid after the 2n2222 stage though, the other parts I think I understand.

For output power under about a watt, you can get an actual, modern RF transistor for a buck or two.
<...>
There are also nowadays plenty of inexpensive RFICs and MMICs, even high speed differential amps and op-amps.  Discrete transistors are used less and less as time goes on.
They were actually cheaper than I remembered, but the problem is there are thousands to choose from and if you don't know which parameters to look for it's difficult (and eventually gets expensive to buy new ones). RFICs are nice if you wan't to get something done quickly, but not as much fun, it's like buying a complete radio. :)

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »
What is it with the hobbyist's love for 40 year old technology?  2N3904??  TO-39??  :o

Well, 2n3904 have a complement 2n3906 and both cost pennies to buy in quantity. The to-39 are useful because they can dissipate 3~5 watts of power with a heatsink, and they are all easy to work with.

For output power under about a watt, you can get an actual, modern RF transistor for a buck or two.

The only reason multi GHz smd transistors are available at low cost is because of mobile phone manufacture which has significantly reduced the price of these transistor devices.Another important point of these transistors is that they are characterized for the GHz band only limiting there use other than what they are supposed to be used for.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:10:31 pm by commie »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 02:39:44 pm »
Another good transistor for both HF and low to mid VHF
The 2N5109 this is good for linear service although it may be a bit pricy..
www.mouser.com/ds/2/68/2n5109-16404.pdf
Sue AF6LJ

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 04:19:54 pm »
Another good transistor for both HF and low to mid VHF .The 2N5109 this is good for linear service

Yes, I have few of these in stock, however I find them a bit 'harsh' because of ft=1200MHz and Vce_max.=20V where as the 2n3866 has a Vce_max.=30V and ft=400MHz so it's... nice and 'softer'. :-+

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 06:00:24 pm »

I have also been planning on building this counter:
http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/counter/history.html
more details:
http://www.vhfcomm.co.uk/Counter.pdf
But I haven't been able to find all the parts for the amplifier stages so I need to figure out what replacement parts to use, especially for the "ERA-2 MMIC" ???

A likely replacement to the ERA-2 MMIC is the ERA2+ from Mini-Circuits for less than $2 each: http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/ERA-2+.pdf.  It is an HBT Darlington gain block.  There are tons of equivalent parts available from distributors.  You can use their parametric search tools to try to narrow it down.  You will find you can often buy an MMIC amplifier for less than you could put together one from discretes.

Well, 2n3904 have a complement 2n3906 and both cost pennies to buy in quantity. The to-39 are useful because they can dissipate 3~5 watts of power with a heatsink, and they are all easy to work with.

The only reason multi GHz smd transistors are available at low cost is because of mobile phone manufacture which has significantly reduced the price of these transistor devices.Another important point of these transistors is that they are characterized for the GHz band only limiting there use other than what they are supposed to be used for.

Most of the applications the OP mentions are above 100 MHz.  A part like the 2N3904 doesn't apply at all.  But I understand it may be great for some applications.  IMHO, the TO-39 is obsolete.  It's only advantage is that it is hermetic, and unless you are doing a high rel space application you don't need it.

For RF, surface mount is your friend and becomes a necessity at higher frequencies.

None of these transistors are used in mobile phones.  Mobile phones all use MMICs for the RF front end.  Yes, mobile phones have spurred the technology development that has led to lower prices.  But the semiconductor die is often the cheapest part of a discrete transistor.  A wafer has maybe 100,000 die, all batch processed at once.  So divide the cost of the wafer and process by 100,000.  The die costs pennies, maybe less than one cent.  The cost is in the packaging and testing and handling.  Of course for power devices the price goes up because die are bigger and packages are more expensive.

The fact that RF transistors may be spec'ed at a different frequency than you are using doesn't mean it won't work at a lower frequency.

I'm just saying use the right part for the job.  It may not cost more and it might be easier and better.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:15:47 pm by rfeecs »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 08:58:11 pm »
Another good transistor for both HF and low to mid VHF .The 2N5109 this is good for linear service

Yes, I have few of these in stock, however I find them a bit 'harsh' because of ft=1200MHz and Vce_max.=20V where as the 2n3866 has a Vce_max.=30V and ft=400MHz so it's... nice and 'softer'. :-+
Not sure what you mean by harsh, I have found them easy to work with.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 09:22:23 pm »

Parasitic oscillation hazard.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 11:20:18 pm »

Parasitic oscillation hazard.
Oh I get it...
That usually can be avoided by careful attention to layout.
They really are not good parts for the beginner in that regard.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 11:29:39 pm »
For non-critical stuff at VHF, I quite like the BFS17, Ft is 1GHz

For UHF, the BFR93 has an Ft of 6GHz.

If I want low noise, then it's probably an MGF series pHEMT, but these will oscillate unless you spend at least a day getting the design right, but for sub .3dB noise figure at 1GHz it's worth it.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 11:57:27 pm »
The fact that RF transistors may be spec'ed at a different frequency than you are using doesn't mean it won't work at a lower frequency.

Although come to think of it, there are "pretuned" parts out there, that are designed to solder into a given fixture (usually narrow band) and give reasonable impedances (like, around 50 ohms nominal) in that frequency range, and.. shit all elsewhere.  I think these are usually for common bands, like 2.45GHz.  Where you kind of don't want to have to muck around with tuning and matching anyway, so they're useful.

But yeah, the datasheet will tell you that, at least.

On a related subject, being able to read the scattering (s-) parameters is pretty helpful for working with RF devices, which are rarely specified in normal means (like capacitance and resistance).  Specifically: a reflective and capacitive input (s11) or output (s22) coefficient means capacitance is dominant on that port; typical examples being FETs and most outputs (i.e., pretty much anything besides a vacuum tube triode -- which might instead have a fairly reasonable match (s22 ~ 0) due to its low plate resistance).  s21 is forward gain, and s12 is reverse transfer (predominantly D-G or C-B capacitance, but often exacerbated by lead parasitics).

Tim

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 12:21:11 am »

Although come to think of it, there are "pretuned" parts out there, that are designed to solder into a given fixture (usually narrow band) and give reasonable impedances (like, around 50 ohms nominal) in that frequency range, and.. shit all elsewhere.  I think these are usually for common bands, like 2.45GHz.  Where you kind of don't want to have to muck around with tuning and matching anyway, so they're useful.

But yeah, the datasheet will tell you that, at least.

That's a good point.  Often large power devices have internal matching because it is difficult or impossible to match over a decent bandwidth without putting matching elements right at the device inside the package.  If you look inside these, they have tons of bond wires and a few capacitors for matching (L-C-L), using the bondwires for inductance.  You can see why these things cost a fortune:

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 12:37:57 am »

On a related subject, being able to read the scattering (s-) parameters is pretty helpful for working with RF devices...

The classic app note on S-parameters:  http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5952-0918.pdf?id=922621

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 07:10:39 pm »
Thanks again everyone! I will try to get some of the 2N5109 and BFS17 as well, and read up more on s-parameters.

For jFets they don't always seem to specify a transition frequency, how do you figure out what frequency range they are intended for?
Example: http://www.digikey.se/product-detail/en/2N3819/2N3819CS-ND/4806873

And this BJT sounds too good: Ft=85GHz, less than 1db NF and it cost less than a dollar, is there a catch? (Aside from the higher risk of parasitic oscillation that commie mentioned).
http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon_Robust_WiFi_SiGe_LNA_BFP840FESD_Rev1_1.pdf?folderId=db3a30431f848401011fcbf2ab4c04c4&fileId=db3a304336ca04c90136e88f755435bf

A likely replacement to the ERA-2 MMIC is the ERA2+ from Mini-Circuits for less than $2 each: http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/ERA-2+.pdf.  It is an HBT Darlington gain block.  There are tons of equivalent parts available from distributors.  You can use their parametric search tools to try to narrow it down.  You will find you can often buy an MMIC amplifier for less than you could put together one from discretes.
Thanks, that sounds like it's the right one! :D
I can't access their website right now though, will look on it later. It looks very easy to use?

If I want low noise, then it's probably an MGF series pHEMT, but these will oscillate unless you spend at least a day getting the design right, but for sub .3dB noise figure at 1GHz it's worth it.
Are these the ones (could only find them on ebay): http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Original-MGF4919G-SUPER-LOW-NOISE-/280897340734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4166c9453e
Would it make sense to use one of those for vhf?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:16 pm »

And this BJT sounds too good: Ft=85GHz, less than 1db NF and it cost less than a dollar, is there a catch? (Aside from the higher risk of parasitic oscillation that commie mentioned).
http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon_Robust_WiFi_SiGe_LNA_BFP840FESD_Rev1_1.pdf?folderId=db3a30431f848401011fcbf2ab4c04c4&fileId=db3a304336ca04c90136e88f755435bf

It's got an absolute maximum supply voltage of 2.2V, and looks internally matched to 5.8GHz, though not in a very narrowband way. Don't try using it unless you're confident with the subtleties of RF design or need a 5.8GHz discrete amp.

Are these the ones (could only find them on ebay): http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Original-MGF4919G-SUPER-LOW-NOISE-/280897340734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4166c9453e
Would it make sense to use one of those for vhf?
[/quote]

It doesn't make sense to use one at VHF unless you're looking for sub 0.2dB noise figure, so unless you're doing EME work, or have some other very specialized need, then don't bother. I spent a few weekends when working abroad with a need for something to stop me getting bored doing a series of designs using the MGFs. The S11 best match and best NF are a long way apart, so there's lots of tricks needed to get a reasonable match and reasonable noise figure, and a whole heap of work to have some confidence that once built you'll be able to find a way to ensure it won't oscillate. It's a bit like trying to use a dragster to go to the supermarket, possible, but dumb.

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 07:59:27 pm »
Ah, maybe not the best part to begin with then. :)

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 09:16:02 pm »

For jFets they don't always seem to specify a transition frequency, how do you figure out what frequency range they are intended for?
Example: http://www.digikey.se/product-detail/en/2N3819/2N3819CS-ND/4806873

That datasheet is pretty sparse, but if you google that part, you will find some much more detailed datasheets.

This one gives a "cut-off frequency" of 700MHz, where they are defining it as where the transconductance starts to roll off:
http://www.micropik.com/PDF/2N3819.pdf
It also has plots of the Y-parameters and S-parameters up to 1GHz.

Here's another one that mentions some RF performance in the description:
http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/Downloads/datasheet2N3819.pdf
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:29:12 pm by rfeecs »

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 10:49:48 pm »
OK, those are definitely more informative and thanks for the application note on s-parameters, very helpful.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:48 am »
Stay away from anything stinking fast (say >3GHz) until you're ready.  Even for anything fT between <your fastest instrument's bandwidth> and there, at least try to get something that can read the presence of extremely high frequencies, like a diode RF probe.  Otherwise, when your circuit does inevitably oscillate, you'll have little idea what's going on, aside from "spooky" behavior like shifting bias or distortion with fingers nearby (proximity effect).

Si JFETs are generally good for the 100s of MHz range.  As transconductance devices, they don't really have a transition frequency as such.  BJTs can be expressed as current mode devices, and therefore have hFE and fT.  But for a true constant current output, you can simply keep increasing the load resistance, and power gain keeps going up (if not maximum power output, because you'll pretty quickly run out of voltage).  You do have the direct tradeoff of band width (which is DC to BW for a wideband circuit, or center frequency +/- BW/2 for a tuned circuit), because drain circuit bandwidth is limited by load resistance versus drain capacitance.  Likewise for gate/source circuit bandwidth tradeoff.  At some point, bandwidth is too narrow to use (plus the real losses in gate and drain terminals) and you can't do much more with it.

Tim

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:21 am »
If you can get your hands on this book it would be a great help, complete with circuits to get you started.
http://www.arrl.org/shop/Experimental-Methods-in-RF-Design/
Sue AF6LJ

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »
Stay away from anything stinking fast (say >3GHz) until you're ready.  Even for anything fT between <your fastest instrument's bandwidth> and there, at least try to get something that can read the presence of extremely high frequencies, like a diode RF probe.  Otherwise, when your circuit does inevitably oscillate, you'll have little idea what's going on, aside from "spooky" behavior like shifting bias or distortion with fingers nearby (proximity effect).
Right, I'm starting to worry I will need better equipment than what's possible for me to get or things might oscillate like crazy without me realizing it. But they did it in the past so it must be possible? :) A diode RF probe is a great idea though. I guess I'll get some parts and try and work my way up to higher frequencies gradually, hopefully I have a chance to spot where the problems arise so they can be dealt with one by one.

If you can get your hands on this book it would be a great help, complete with circuits to get you started.
http://www.arrl.org/shop/Experimental-Methods-in-RF-Design/
From the description it sounds very tempting, thanks for the tip. I saw another thread that recommended RF books as well, will take a look at those as well.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 08:05:31 pm »
Not knowing for sure what your goals are, what you plan on building.
One of the first cheap tools I had was a general coverage receiver that had a piece of coax on the antenna terminals and a small 25 or so mm loop soldered across the end of the coax to sniff out my oscillator circuits to see if they were working as intended. The same receiver could be used to test small signal amplifiers and converter circuits. (mixers).

There is a lot you can do when you think like a hacker and use what you have on hand, even at VHF and beyond.
Sue AF6LJ

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 08:22:11 pm »
I have a couple of rtl-sdr sticks, it might work to connect a coax-loop probe to that! I also have a the VHF radio from the boat. I can't cover all frequencies though but it should help.

One can often get a long way with a bit of ingenuity but ironically it is the experienced and skilled ones who usually can manage without fancy equipment, while the beginners who don't have any are the ones who need it the most.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 09:03:34 pm »
Those RF SDR sticks will work just fine.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 04:25:54 am »
Not knowing for sure what your goals are, what you plan on building.
One of the first cheap tools I had was a general coverage receiver that had a piece of coax on the antenna terminals and a small 25 or so mm loop soldered across the end of the coax to sniff out my oscillator circuits to see if they were working as intended. The same receiver could be used to test small signal amplifiers and converter circuits. (mixers).

Definitely highly desirable.  Two receivers is probably desirable.  (1) a transistor radio with shortwave ranges that allow you to tune across the whole spectrum very quickly (but with poor stability and frequency readout) and (2) A communications receiver, receiver part of an HF transceiver or SDR that allows selective reception, accurate frequency readout and easier tuning once you know the approximate frequency.   

But before all that you need to have an indication that RF is being emitted at all.  A crude but extremely useful tool is just an RF choke, diode, potentiometer and clip lead on the back of a meter movement (250uA).  That gives a rough idea of level and even amplification.  An RF probe going to your multimeter can also work and allow measurement, but I admit to the  satisfaction of pinning the needle when an RF circuit is working! 
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 01:57:50 pm »
Good suggestion.
Sue AF6LJ

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 06:15:06 pm »
Definitely highly desirable.  Two receivers is probably desirable.  (1) a transistor radio with shortwave ranges that allow you to tune across the whole spectrum very quickly (but with poor stability and frequency readout) and (2) A communications receiver, receiver part of an HF transceiver or SDR that allows selective reception, accurate frequency readout and easier tuning once you know the approximate frequency.
A short-wave radio is a good idea, a transceiver will be more difficult. I think I need a license to own one, not entirely sure though (and they are expensive I think).

But before all that you need to have an indication that RF is being emitted at all.  A crude but extremely useful tool is just an RF choke, diode, potentiometer and clip lead on the back of a meter movement (250uA).  That gives a rough idea of level and even amplification.  An RF probe going to your multimeter can also work and allow measurement, but I admit to the  satisfaction of pinning the needle when an RF circuit is working!
Do you mean connect it like a crystal radio or some other way? Sounds like a good suggestion as well, thanks.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 07:34:11 am »
1. Rules vary with country re owning transmitting gear. A used ham transceiver wirh general coverage receiver can be better value than a used receiver alone.

2. Yes crystal set with meter in place of headphones is a good indicator - known as an absorption wave meter. It can give an idea of frequency if you calibrate the scale of the tuning capacitor. Or replace the tuned circuit with a my ref choke to operate as a broadband rf indicator.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 04:19:30 pm »
Ohh, this thread comes up at the right time, since I'm looking for a replacement RF transistor.

PNP, fT ~ 800-1200 MHz, Uces about -15 V. Preferably something with leads. Anyone?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 04:38:40 pm »
Ohh, this thread comes up at the right time, since I'm looking for a replacement RF transistor.

PNP, fT ~ 800-1200 MHz, Uces about -15 V. Preferably something with leads. Anyone?

MPSH69 (TO92) or 2N5583 (TO39)?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »
MPSH81 also comes to mind (give or take).

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 06:33:59 pm »
MPSH81 also comes to mind (give or take).

Well, only 600MHz fT on the datasheet.  Is that what you meant by "give or take"?

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »
RF PNP is really... hard to source.

I really really wonder where the hell HP sourced them ... in the 60s! And why they used so many of them in the 3400...

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 04:30:34 am »
RF PNP is really... hard to source.

I really really wonder where the hell HP sourced them ... in the 60s! And why they used so many of them in the 3400...
Motorola of all people used them, and even had some that were power transistors, 50W VHF parts.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline zmetzing

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2019, 08:49:04 pm »
ON Semi SS9018HBU
RF TRANS NPN 15V 1.1GHZ TO92-3

Bag of 100 for just over $10 on Digikey.

[edit: A great article on this sort of thing at https://wiki.analog.com/university/courses/electronics/text/choosing-transistors]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:17:41 am by zmetzing »

Offline Jack Cornwall

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2021, 09:24:56 am »
the s-parameter article cited here is available here https://m.eet.com/media/1072747/C0473edited.pdf
well, today it is 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf