Author Topic: choosing/understanding the right powersuply for the TS100  (Read 62962 times)

Offline TuxKeyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
choosing/understanding the right powersuply for the TS100
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:13:39 pm »
Hi guys

Excuse the the lack of knowledge but i'm a noob when it comes to this subject.
So i want to get the TS100 soldering iron to start of.
After having watched several reviews i decided it's the right compact iron for me at the moment.

Only problem is that i don't want to get a crappy Chinese power supply but a three prong one that will last me.
All the power supplies i currently own don't have the correct jack.

What did i do:
As i live in Europe (The Netherlands) i looked around on amazon Germany asked people about good brands power supply
And eventually landed on a two brands and one store that had filters to narrow my search.
I downloaded the TS100 manual that mentioned the specs i needed to know..

Operation Voltage: between 12v - 24v
giving you power: between 17W - 65W
Electric current: >1.4A - >2.7A
Heat up time from 30c to 300c 40s - 11s (the more power you put in the faster it will be)

They reccommend a 19V 2.1A power supply turning it in a 40w iron..
But as "Marco Reps" noted in his youtube review the internals can handle way more..
I just want to give it the max it can handle according to the manual. so 24v >2.7A turning it in to a 65w iron.

So after reading the manual and searching i found two power supplies that looked good on paper and the price was ok i guess.

So my question is this;
with computer power supplies it is recommended you buy a couple % higher rated power than you would need for does peak times.
And because a computer power supply runs efficient if the load is not 90% all the time.. But say 75% or something like that at least above 50%..
At least that's what i was always told.
So the Bicker (BET-0624) provides exactly what the iron needs 24v @ 2.7 amps (i think that's how you say it haha)..
But reading the spec sheet of the MeanWell  the GST90A/24 is rated for 3.75A and has a current range of 0 ~ 3.75A with a rated power max of 90W
So more than enough to handle my iron..
The question is would i be wasting €13 buying the higher specked one. And possibly even damage my iron ??
I think i'm reading the spec sheet correctly and it's able to provide more power but it just means it has a higher ceiling.
Both power supplies are 90% efficient so no problems there.

i basically lack the understanding to decide between the two. I was hoping for sum advice , and knowledge  :)
Thanks for your help guys.. i Appreciate it..

The specs and url's are below.

Bicker Elektronik BET-0624 24 V/DC 2.7 A 60 W
€32

Store url:
https://www.conrad.nl/p/tafelnetvoeding-vaste-spanning-bicker-elektronik-bet-0624-24-vdc-27-a-60-w-1527317

Manufacturer url:
https://www.bicker.de/index.php/eng/Products/Power-supplies/Desktop-adapters/BET-0600

Mean Well GST90A24-P1M 24 V/DC 3.75 A 90 W
€45

store url:
https://www.conrad.nl/p/tafelnetvoeding-vaste-spanning-mean-well-gst90a24-p1m-24-vdc-375-a-90-w-1439241

Manufacturer url:
http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=GST90A

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: choosing/understanding the right powersuply for the TS100
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
Yes, choice of a suitable power supply is a serious business. As you say, there are lots of crappy power supplies out there. A 24V supply does achieve maximum performance from the TS100, unfortunately most supplies are focused around the 19V laptop PSU hotspot.

You  have clearly done your homework, it looks as if you have selected two reputable power supplies. As you have identified, the Bicker one will be running at full load (or a little above) during startup but under normal duty the load will be very much lower. The thing you need to avoid is the supply going into overcurrent trip, which could cause a reset loop. From the datasheet, the only indication of this behavior is "Overload protection: max. 180 % of nominal current, switch off with auto recovery". If this holds true, then you shouldn't have a problem. This is the part that differentiates the good PSUs from the crappy ones.

Meanwell is a respectable Chinese brand and would operating be well within its rating at all times, no concerns there (Edit: no additional risk of damage to the iron).

The only other differentiators I can see are that both PSUs include an interference suppression ferrite core on the output leads, however the one on the Bicker is 80mm from the PSU, whereas the Meanwell one is 70mm from the DC jack. That would clearly be undesirable if you are plugging directly into the TS100! In practice, you will probably want to add a short length of burnproof flexible Silicone cord for comfortable handling.

Personally I think you would get away with the Bicker one (provided that it meets its datasheet spec) - but the only way to tell for sure would be to test it. If necessary I suppose a very low value resistor could be included in the positive line to limit the peak current slightly. Any additional cable length will also help.

Just one other possibility. You may want to check on ebay for a used brand-name power supply eg, Dell, Sony, Lenovo etc. at a good price. I tried ebay.nl but was unable to understand the search categories.  :-[

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:15:32 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: TuxKey

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-18-5v-6-5A-Laptop-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-Power-adapter/162867917813?hash=item25ebaf33f5:g:sTwAAOSwMkJaV4AA

Just search ebay for second hand, working, 19V laptop supplies which are branded.  A lot of cheap laptops come with cheap Chinese PSUs these days.  A Toshiba or HP PSU will last a long time and put out a shed ton of current.

I run mine on a 19V 6.5A supply and it goes from room temp to 350*C in around 10 seconds.  You can literally lift it off the stand where it has gone to standby and by the time you align it with the joint you are soldering it's ready.

I was advised that the full 24V might stress the main mosfet too much and to aim for the 19V laptop supply.

As an aside, I plugged a 12.6V RC hobby LiPo into it and it still heated up in about 25 seconds.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:23:08 pm by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:28:30 pm »
Might worth a read: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/soldering-iron-recomendations/  It includes a few tips on other things to purchase while buying.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:37:04 pm »
You can get a little closer on standard laptop PSUs too. For instance Dell and Lenovo have 20V models. Genuine Lenovo T400 series are 20V at either 65W or 90W and are widely available on ebay at low cost (make sure it's a 3 pin variant). Every little helps.  :)
Best Regards, Chris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:47:33 am »
Might worth a read: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/soldering-iron-recomendations/  It includes a few tips on other things to purchase while buying.

thanks for the tip.. i just did have a look, and recognized the pics and sum content ;-) looks like i read that thread.. i read so much that i had to make sure but will surly go over it again.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:59:16 am »
Hey TuxKey

I have several old genuine 80W HP laptop power supplies laying around here (Amsterdam)
If you want you can pick one up  :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:02:54 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-18-5v-6-5A-Laptop-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-Power-adapter/162867917813?hash=item25ebaf33f5:g:sTwAAOSwMkJaV4AA

Just search ebay for second hand, working, 19V laptop supplies which are branded.  A lot of cheap laptops come with cheap Chinese PSUs these days.  A Toshiba or HP PSU will last a long time and put out a shed ton of current.

I run mine on a 19V 6.5A supply and it goes from room temp to 350*C in around 10 seconds.  You can literally lift it off the stand where it has gone to standby and by the time you align it with the joint you are soldering it's ready.

I was advised that the full 24V might stress the main mosfet too much and to aim for the 19V laptop supply.

As an aside, I plugged a 12.6V RC hobby LiPo into it and it still heated up in about 25 seconds.

Thanks for explaining that 24v might stress the mian mosfet..i do have a new 19.5v Dell power supply but the jack is not the correct size..
And i don't feel save messing around with it..
Here's a pic;
https://imgur.com/a/NTmX5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 12:05:11 pm »
almost forgot i just found a store that sells the Mean well for €24.. and they sell lot's of other goodies..
here's the link..
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/gst90a24-p1m/desktop-power-supplies/mean-well/

i was looking at a cheap desoldering solution and was told the aoyue 8800 would not be a good idea because it was hard to get parts for it.
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/sp-1010dr/desoldering-stations/solder-peak/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 12:07:45 pm »
Hey TuxKey

I have several old genuine 80W HP laptop power supplies laying around here (Amsterdam)
If you want you can pick one up  :)

wouw that's mighty friendly of you sounds good.i don't have a car (sold mine to meany problems with the damm thing)..
so perhaps you could post it to me using DHL of post NL which ever one is cheaper..
i would pay for shipping of cource..

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 12:10:27 pm »
ok, just send me a email or forum-message
I can also put a 5.1x2.5 mm plug on it so you can use it right away

PS I wouldn't use the Dell because the cable is very thick and sturdy which is not convenient for a soldering iron I guess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 12:12:36 pm »
ok, just send me a email or forum-message
I can also put a 5.1x2.5 mm plug on it so you can use it right away

PS I wouldn't use the Dell because the cable is very thick and sturdy which is not convenient for a soldering iron I guess

cool will do.

Offline xavkno

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 02:07:48 pm »
The best thing to do would probably get a power brick and make an verlengsnoer (yea i am dutch and I forgot the english translation [emoji6] extension cable) with silicone wire that way it will be easier to maneuver the iron and it will make sure you don't burn the wire.

And thank you for making this tread i was just about to order a ts100 from aliexpress now i know which power brick would be best to get.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:19:26 pm by xavkno »

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 02:22:37 pm »
I have just quickly created this for you

I think it is a good start. The TS100 is probably not the best iron for high power soldering jobs anyway. But if you need more power you can always buy a bigger supply later  :)

Do you have the power cord needed? (it saves shipping)

Offline xavkno

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 02:47:48 pm »

I think it is a good start. The TS100 is probably not the best iron for high power soldering jobs anyway. But if you need more power you can always buy a bigger supply later  :)

Could you post a pic of the front of the dc plug?
That way i can look if i have the right plug laying around
As i have one of those universal laptop power supplies

It unfortunately doesn't have an earth pin though.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 02:49:38 pm »
You need a DC 5.5x2.5mm connector for the TS100

Offline xavkno

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 03:29:06 pm »
You need a DC 5.5x2.5mm connector for the TS100
Thank you, have one laying around [emoji6] going to order the ts100 tomorrow then will save me a few cents [emoji6]
Still don't quite get why they used 5525 instead of 5521 though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:54:04 pm by xavkno »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »
The best thing to do would probably get a power brick and make an verlengsnoer (yea i am dutch and I forgot the english translation [emoji6] extension cable) with silicone wire that way it will be easier to maneuver the iron and it will make sure you don't burn the wire.

And thank you for making this tread i was just about to order a ts100 from aliexpress now i know which power brick would be best to get.

I would order one from Bangood.. not Aliexpress at least that is what i was told about packaging and shipping..
i will get the cheapest one i think it's €42 with a little stand made out of ceramic ...think i will also grab a grounding wire clamp for €3,30
https://www.banggood.com/MINI-Earth-Clamp-for-MINI-UpGrade-TS100-Digital-Soldering-Iron-Station-p-1221739.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 04:52:20 pm »

@TuxKey:
Please let me know if you need the powercord also?

Offline xavkno

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 05:19:12 pm »

I would order one from Bangood.. not Aliexpress at least that is what i was told about packaging and shipping..
i will get the cheapest one i think it's €42 with a little stand made out of ceramic ...think i will also grab a grounding wire clamp for €3,30
https://www.banggood.com/MINI-Earth-Clamp-for-MINI-UpGrade-TS100-Digital-Soldering-Iron-Station-p-1221739.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
It would probably be better to get this stand and a brass sponge instead as the frequent thermal shock of using an water sponge could reduce the tip's lifespan.

And now when i finally found my calipers and measured the plug i have is 5530 i have an 5521 but no 5525 :( will have to order a plug then.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:46:47 pm by TheAmmoniacal »

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 10:29:29 pm »

I used 3 18 AWG high flexibility silicone hookup wires to make a three conductor cable so I can ground the tip using the same cable I power it with. On the power supply end I have a jack for the power supply to plug into, and a ground lead with banana jack to hook to my common ground point. There is also a switch so I can turn it off. On the soldering iron end I put a ring terminal on the ground wire, and a 5525 barrel plug to the power to the soldering iron. I had all the parts on hand except the 5525 plug. For the jack on the power supply end I used one that matched my power supply, not a 5525. ;)

To make a cable that stays together and behaves nicely, I carefully wrapped the three wires without twisting the individual wires. That way it lays flat and doesn't try to curl up. This is an old rope maker's trick which also works nicely for wires. I then used 1/8" long heat shrink tubing segments every couple inches along the cable to better hold the wires together. If I'd covered it with heat shrink for the whole distance it would have been stiffened way to much by the heat shrink tubing. Yes, you can buy high temperature highly flexible heat shrink tubing, but it also costs a lot.

To get the wires, you can sacrifice some long high temp silicone test leads. I had a few spools of different colors left over from a project I did a couple decades ago.

I'm still looking for a proper three conductor highly flexible high temperature cable without having to sink hundreds of dollars into a whole spool.

Offline xavkno

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 10:40:58 pm »
So how much does it matter my power brick doesn't have qn earth pin?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 11:29:05 am »

Thanks really appreciate it. i looked around and did not find a power cord the only one i have laying around are the computer type.
Kind of fits me being a computer guy...The ones that kind of looked like the one you showed but are the two that go in the dell laptop power supply but they are also shaped in a way that you can't use them with anything other then  that powerbrick so that's a no go..
You right about the weight and shipping let's hope it stays under €7 i think DHL is cheaper then postNL...
Strange ordering from TME electronics in Poland standard shipping to NL is €8 so they are over charging us here in NL as always..
btw to anyone else in my investigation of good electronics stores in the EU i did a youtube search "TME poland" checkout their channel /youtube promo..
These guys are legit .. damm... and seems they are even main distributor for Mean well power supplies hahahah.. starting to dig arround for good solder flux rosin and that kind of stuff .. basically everything i need to get started in a couple of months.. i promised my wife i would hold out until i'm done with my bloody RedHat certification real pain in the ...you know grrr. need to get that RHCE and redo my RHCA first expensive exam fees.. damm..
But after that i'm going to start modding my old keyboard hahahah ...still lots of things to do learn read and explore..First thing's first register on the TME site.. to see total shipping hahaha
https://youtu.be/9K6nLPC9G-0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:34:01 am by TuxKey »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 12:57:21 pm »
for me I got this one for my bench supply project:

https://www.banggood.com/4A-To-6A-24V-Switching-Power-Supply-Board-AC-DC-Power-Module-p-969204.html

You can get a simple 3$ enclosure with some wires and you will be ok! it claims 4-6 amps which is significantly better than your needs so it cannot go wrong.

There is also this one:

https://www.banggood.com/AC-110-240V-Input-To-DC-24V-17A-360W-Switching-Power-Supply-Driver-Board-p-1272112.html

but it is 17 amps which is a total overkill.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf