Author Topic: circuit design and analysis  (Read 2014 times)

Offline majorkusoTopic starter

• Contributor
circuit design and analysis
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:43:38 pm »
I am wanting to get better at design and analysis. what resources could I use to achieve this? I understand components by themselves,but when I try to understand them together I usually go blank when I see a complete schematic.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: circuit design and analysis
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:47:16 pm »
you can build it and investigate it. Usually a circuit can be broken into blocks who's response is known

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:58:46 pm »
+1 for building and measuring whatever combination interests you in blocks or pieces at a time - try different test points and different value components until it becomes clear what is causing what.

When you run into something that needs explanation, if the Internet in general doesn't help, try searching YouTube - it's a pretty amazing resource; a picture is worth a thousand words and video is worth about 24-30 pictures (frames) per second :)

If that doesn't clear things up and you can post a very specific question (and maybe include some images or schematics of the circuit in question) there are probably lots of people here who can help sort it out.

Sometimes it just takes time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:05:26 am by Electro Fan »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 03:34:49 pm »
I am wanting to get better at design and analysis. what resources could I use to achieve this? I understand components by themselves,but when I try to understand them together I usually go blank when I see a complete schematic.

There are certain "design patterns" which you learn to recognise, e.g. a common-emitter amplifier, a low pass filter, a logarithmic amplifier, etc etc etc. Learning to recognise those can only be done the hard way, and it is easily thwarted by ignorant b*******ds that don't draw the circuit in a way that highlights the pattern. There are too many of those nowadays, and there is a special circle of hell reserved for those that have inputs on the right and outputs on the left.

Often the best help is a circuit description which mentions the design pattern by name.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:06:00 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 03:54:00 pm »
1. Read "The Art of Electronics" (2nd edition is good enough if you need to save money)

2. Install LTSPICE and run the examples

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf