Author Topic: Circuit Protection  (Read 13389 times)

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
Circuit Protection
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:29:36 pm »
I am trying to protect a circuit from over/reverse voltage.
I am running a PIC with a absolute rating of -0.3-6.5V on Vdd with respect to Vss. (16F1823)
My circuit has to withstand 7.5V for an hour and still be operational.
Withstand 12V for 5 minutes operate safely during and function after.
Withstand -12V for five minutes and function after.
Has to withstand ESD testing. (Reason for ESD diode rather than just Zener)

I've been looking at clamping diodes to keep the voltage below 6.5V, would something like that PESD3V3S2UAT be appropriate? VcMax 5.6V so this would clamp at  anything above 5.6V?
I was thinking a diode in series with the supply but I can't afford the voltage drop across the diode - what other alternatives are available?

Thanks.

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
Re: Circuit Protection
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:50:43 pm »
I was thinking a diode in series with the supply but I can't afford the voltage drop across the diode - what other alternatives are available?

Maybe use a P-MOS as a reverse protection? And looking into the datasheet this PIC has built-in clamping diodes to both rails, so a simple resistor my be enough for under- and overvoltage protection, but it depends on what you need. You can dig out Atmel's AVR182 application note (it'll work the same for PIC) for more details and see if this'll work for your application.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »
Linear Technologies LTC4365 may be a good answer here.  It protects from reverse polarity, overvoltage and undervoltage.  I did a brief writeup here, with links to the data sheet and applications notes.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:51:29 pm »
Zener diodes may help you there

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:45 pm »
Looking at this image from Jon's website:

If you replace the diode with a zener, it will protect from both overvoltage and reverse voltage. Replace the fuse with a polyswitch and it will recover after reverse voltage is removed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:13:14 pm by armandas »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »
full wave rectifier then a crowbar, so you can have it run like normal off reverse voltages (albeit a drop) and the crowbar works with them

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:03:02 pm »
I am trying to protect a circuit from over/reverse voltage.

And give us a totally inadequate specification of requirements (not that it stops people making up their own requirement and suggesting solutions to meet it).

What is the supply voltage requirement for the circuit you are protecting? What is the operating current requirement? What is the normal supply voltage range? What is the source impedance of the supply under abnormal conditions? "ESD Testing" is more or less meaningless.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:34:44 pm »
This is for the absolute most basic level of protection, that in my opinion should be deployed in every circuit made. If you expect to have LARGE voltages accidentally passed through the circuit you may want to consider something like a transient voltage supressor; if you need greater control over current protection you may wish to use both a fast acting fuse in the case of very high currents and a slow acting fuse for the small over currents; if isolation is key in this application you may wish to consider optical isolators et cetera.

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:10:53 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.

Maybe use a P-MOS as a reverse protection? And looking into the datasheet this PIC has built-in clamping diodes to both rails, so a simple resistor my be enough for under- and overvoltage protection
The PIC will probably be ok but there are other components that need protection. I will have a look at some PMOS datasheets - trying to minimise parts but meet all specs.

Linear Technologies LTC4365 may be a good answer here.  It protects from reverse polarity, overvoltage and undervoltage.  I did a brief writeup here, with links to the data sheet and applications notes.
Thanks Jon, that nicely summarises the different protection methods. Whilst offering a nice solution the LTC4365 would be contributing the majority cost to the circuit so think it's a no go on this particular circuit.

If you replace the diode with a zener, it will protect from both overvoltage and reverse voltage. Replace the fuse with a polyswitch and it will recover after reverse voltage is removed.
What is the normal supply voltage range? What is the source impedance of the supply under abnormal conditions?
I haven't been given this information, the circuit has been designed to run at 5V and draws max 90mA.
Without the above info am I correct in thinking I can't choose PTCs / Zeners because I don't know how much current the supply can source and if more than the PTC Ihold max - poof!

And give us a totally inadequate specification of requirements (not that it stops people making up their own requirement and suggesting solutions to meet it).
"ESD Testing" is more or less meaningless.
Sorry that's my inexperience of not knowing what parameters are important and just trying to get an idea for what solutions are possible. The ESD testing is either IEC 810-2 or hand held discharge unit capable of 17kV, to be shocked 10x on each connector - Power, Gnd and two outputs - currently protected with the PESD5V0L2UU (if memory serves me correctly)

This is for the absolute most basic level of protection, that in my opinion should be deployed in every circuit made. If you expect to have LARGE voltages accidentally passed through the circuit you may want to consider something like a transient voltage supressor; if you need greater control over current protection you may wish to use both a fast acting fuse in the case of very high currents and a slow acting fuse for the small over currents; if isolation is key in this application you may wish to consider optical isolators et cetera.
The testing is just a requirement asked for - it shouldn't happen as the connector is keyed so unless they have an identical connector with reverse or higher voltage this shouldn't happen - it will be worst case there is a fault on the 5V rail. Fuses maybe an option but not at board level as the circuit will be potted making it a little more than tricky to replace :P

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:45:04 am »

Nice change to the circuit to gain some additional protection.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »

Nice change to the circuit to gain some additional protection.

Another improvement would be a crowbar with a slightly lower voltage than the zener but with a low pass filter so it provides a dead short if a certain voltage is exceeded for longer than a certain number of RC time constants. In this case the zener could be 6.2V and the crowbar 5.6V.

Offline matt100psi

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 05:45:44 pm »
Hi folks,

I know this is an old topic, but I found it when attempting to educate myself about over-voltage protection.  Almost all the zener diodes I've found at the Vz I need (~3V) have fairly small power ratings.  Even at 10W (a hard to find part), you can run <4A across it.  How is this addressed in practice when your fuse must support a higher current for normal operation?

Thanks,
Matt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf