Author Topic: CNC 2417 connections configuration driver firmware  (Read 1855 times)

Offline boxcornerTopic starter

CNC 2417 connections configuration driver firmware
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:56:37 pm »
Hello EEV

I'm new here so I hope this is the right section to post this and that I'm not treading on anyone's toes here.

I have ordered a CNC 2417 from Aliexpress in China. The software they provide comprises a document file, instructions for mechanical assembly of the machine and a large ZIP file which I have been unable to download because the connection it keeps timing out.

I had hoped there would be a list of steps required to get the machine up and running, or better still a flow chart!

My understanding is the CNC 2417 has an Arduino UNO and motor shield. I believe the Arduino needs to have Gbrl firmware installed and presume this can be done using the Arduino IDE. The Arduino will be connected to a computer via USB. I believe driver software needs to be installed on the computer before it is connected to the Arduino. The computer would need to have an app installed to generate G-code, plus an app to drip-feed the G-code to the Arduino, as it doesn't have a large memory capacity. That's my understanding thus far. Is that correct?

So the steps would be: (1) assemble the machine (2) install motor drivers (3) install an app on the computer to generate G-code eg InkScape (4) install an app on the computer to drip-feed the G-code to the Arduino.

Is that correct?

Whilst there are many videos showing people lovingly opening the box and assembling the kit of parts, playing with Allen keys to build the machine, there seems to be very little information about the electrical connections and no step-by-step sequence to get the machine up and running with drivers and firmware, that I have been able to find.

While looking around for alternative software, I stumbled across Banggood's web page offering what appears to be the same machine. There's a link which leads to a Google Drive page where files can be downloaded individually, instead of a huge ZIP file. Much more user-friendly.

The driver says it's for DOS/Windows. Does anyone know where I might find a driver for Linux? I still have an old computer that is configured to dual-boot Linux/Win7, so that is not a major problem, but I would prefer to use Linux.

So to recap. Where might I find electrical connection info for this machine? Are the steps that I enumerated above correct? Where might I find drivers for Linux?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:18:06 pm by boxcorner »

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
Re: CNC 2417 connections configuration driver firmware
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 03:18:40 am »
Hi,
I've done a bit of custom cnc building, and 3d printers, which, is somewhat similar in this regard.

if you are getting a kit blind, without knowing what firmware to run, or even if the drivers will run the steppers, there are a lot of pitfalls there.  I would hook up with one of the CNC forums like CNC Zone.

I'm not one to point people to another forum, but, in this case, id seeks out a forum that specializes in CNC as it really is that deep a topic.

Yes, there are drivers for Unix for CNC but that a pretty broad topic.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf