Author Topic: Coin cell battery capable of 100mA pulse current  (Read 3665 times)

Offline JesterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Coin cell battery capable of 100mA pulse current
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:17:54 pm »
Most (possible all) coin cells that I have looked at have fairly high internal resistance that limits output current to a few ma at best. I have a WiFi application that will require closer to 100mA for short pulses during intermittent transmit bursts. Is anyone aware of a coin cell that can deliver high pulse current even if overall battery life is short?

I was using a low current Econais EC32L13 Wi-Fi chip however this part is now obsolete,  I have not found anything close to the original device form a current requirement perspective (7ma)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Coin cell battery capable of 100mA pulse current
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:55 am »
The lithium-ion variants, e.g. Lir2032, Lir2450 can put out decent currents  - should manage 100mA easily - certainly the 2450. The 3.7v nominal is also better for nominally 3.3 or 3.0v loads as it gives more headroom.
Alkaline button cells (e.g. LR44) are also a lot better then non-rechargeable lithium for current capability.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Coin cell battery capable of 100mA pulse current
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:06:10 am »
Check out Illinois Capacitor's new line of RJD coin cells.

They can do over 100mA pulse no problem, without damage to the battery. They're also higher capacity than traditional rechargeable coin cells. Apparently, traditional rechargeable coin cells actually use a tiny square cell inside of the round casing, which leaves area unused. IC have figured out a process to produce cells that fill the casing, which increases the capacity and lowers ESR.

There's also muRata's UMAL series, however they're not coin cells (though they're *very* small). The capacity is pretty low at 12mAH, but they can handle 10C discharge.

Finally, you could use your old fashioned LiR coin cell and combine it with a supercap. Basically, you'd have a circuit that slowly charged the SC up between transmit pulses. The SC would handle the instantaneous current demands of the WiFi module instead of the battery.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf