Author Topic: Common tools for organizing all that STUFF in a home hobbyist shop?  (Read 1914 times)

Offline monster_of_electronics

• Contributor
What are you your go-to storage tools? (sizes, models, brands, etc.)  Bin types, shelving, tool organizers, benches/tables, etc. that are decent quality, economical and compact?  My needs are constantly evolving, so I want to categorize areas of my basement for different stuff and buy a little more than I need right now to to stay organized in the future.

I basically have 2 areas of my basement shop right now - #1 mostly small repairs, soldering connectors, RC maintainenance, product disassembly, making small projects, etc.  #2 wood working, drilling, vice, dremel drill press, filling, large wrenches, etc.

What  tools do you use a lot of to organize all your stuff to make it is easy to find when you need it?  I often run into problems of not being able to find something when I need it.  :'(
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 07:11:15 am by monster_of_electronics »

Online dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: Common tools for organizing all that STUFF in a home hobbyist shop?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 07:12:09 am »
Look through the "Show us your bench" thread, plenty of examples to fit a variety of layouts.

Edit, this one:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/?topicseen

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 08:10:44 am »
Trash can
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  http://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 08:35:17 am »
What are you your go-to storage tools? (sizes, models, brands, etc.)  Bin types, shelving,
Check out Uline. Good selection. Fast delivery.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 08:44:40 am »
I use Sistema containers like these that often come on special at supermarkets.  http://www.mashupmom.com/sistema-food-storage-containers-on-zulily/

They tend to spend more time on the floor than stacked but their transparent lids mean you can see what's inside. 
NEW!  99 things you can do with Amateur Radio.  Guide to various facets of amateur radio in a 110 page Kindle ebook.  $US $4.99 or equiv.  Just search '99 things you can do with Amateur Radio' on Amazon.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:47:45 am »
The stacking plastic baskets that are used by some stores for stock delivery and available from most hardware outlets. Mine are 50cm x 80cm and 15cm high and I use them for everything. Put some runners in a frame and they can be used as drawers but the same units can be stacked in the corner of a basement full of those items that get used once in a blue moon.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 09:10:05 am »
I don't have these - but only because I don't have a place to put them on a wall - but they sure look like they would be better than draping a couple dozen cables over the back of chair.

http://www.amazon.com/Pomona-Holder-Slots-Black-Diameter/dp/B0000WU3U0
- come in different sizes....

Offline Ampere

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 10:59:07 am »
I use these for some misc. parts. They're stacked on a shelf and then I carry them over to my bench as I need them or just individual compartments if I just need a few things. There's no need to label the compartments. You can see the parts through the lid, but I usually cut out the labels from the little Digikey bags and stick them in the back of the compartment so I can identify the part specifications without needing to search for a datasheet.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-25-Removable-Compartment-Professional-Organizer/dp/B00005QWYF/

Everything else that doesn't have a permanent home on my bench is either in a 40-drawer Harbor Freight storage cabinet (resistors, caps, inductors) or a shelf full of stackable Sterilite drawers (small tools, salvaged components).

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf