Author Topic: Complete noob bought the wrong Hakko FX888, help?  (Read 7385 times)

Offline smaulzTopic starter

Complete noob bought the wrong Hakko FX888, help?
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:01:55 am »
Since I already feel like an idiot, I'll keep the details to a minimum.

After much research and indecision, I finally decided to purchase an FX888 as my first 'real' soldering station (didn't want the FX888D). Being discontinued, the only option was ebay, so I found one and placed the order. Received the shipping notice today and only then realized I'd purchased the 220V version (U.S., need 110V). Completely missed that detail on the original post (like I said, I'm an idiot).

I guess I'm asking for a little assistance converting this unit to 110V. Is this doable? Is it practical? I can always return it (minus shipping and restocking fee), but if I can make it work without an external converter, I'd prefer that route.

I hate to join a new community only to immediately beg for help with my hat in hand, but I'm hoping some of you nice folks can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Complete noob bought the wrong Hakko FX888, help?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:45:03 am »
You might have made another mistake?  There are counterfeit FX888s sold on ebay.  You can tell sometimes by the picture, but a teardown will reveal whether you got a counterfeit or not.

There is lots of information on this forum about the counterfeits.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:38:02 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/230v-transformer-for-110v-hakko-fx-888/

You'll need a transformer with 24V output and ~90VA power rating.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:11:07 am by Hero999 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:21:10 am »
Yeah, it is not only a wrong voltage but also 99.9% counterfeit.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:58:40 pm »
Thank you very much for the replies, folks. I read the threads mentioned above and I'm now significantly less confident in my abilities than I was last night when I posted this. Also, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't even consider the possibility of counterfeit equipment (jeez, I swear I'm not usually this daft). I think my only option is to return the package and take the hit since the alternative is likely not worth the effort.

So, I guess my question now is, where can I find a new or gently used genuine FX888? Do such things exist anymore? Should I just suck it up and settle for the FX888D?

Thanks again guys, I promise to be less stupid in the future.  :palm:

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:13 pm »
So, I guess my question now is, where can I find a new or gently used genuine FX888?
New - almost impossible. Used would be rather hard to find/distinguish among the overwhelming amount of counterfeits.
Should I just suck it up and settle for the FX888D?
yes, just order from some reputable place like tequipment or hakko directly.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 01:56:41 pm »
As I feared. I really do prefer the analog version, but I guess I missed the boat on that one.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:02:35 pm »
If it IS a fake, and it was sold as the original, you might report it to eBay and get your money back. They sold you a fake item, after all.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:07:32 pm »
You're right ivan, but I didn't see in my research any way to definitively tell if it's fake or not (especially without a tear-down).

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:10:36 pm »
You're right ivan, but I didn't see in my research any way to definitively tell if it's fake or not (especially without a tear-down).

I don't think your warranty will be void with a teardown. Why? Because I don't think anyone gave you a warranty of that kind.
There are ways to tell, if I remember correctly, for example the soldering iron cable is very stiff on the fake.

Here, I found you something,
http://electronicsreviewsblog.info/hakko-fx-888-soldering-iron-review-teardown-chinese-version/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:15:12 pm by ivan747 »

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »
Good point, I'll give it a once-over when it arrives. Hopefully I can get out of this error in judgement cheaply.

(edit)
Thanks for the link, checking it out now.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »
It may help us if you post the link to your auction.  We can examine the pictures for clues?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 05:03:57 pm »
I'm glad I got my analog one when I did.  I do recommend it over the digital.  Since it's almost unavailable now, I suppose I'd recommend the Weller equivalent (WESD-51) instead.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:52 pm »
Are you sure they already shipped it?  Maybe you can just cancel.

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 03:36:09 am »
Naw edavid, I checked the tracking. That's okay, I've decided I'm just going to return it unopened. I placed an order for the FX888D from a reputable store on Amazon, and I guess I'll hope for the best from the ebay seller. Lesson learned I suppose.

Thanks again for the assistance guys, hopefully next time I'll have something to post that doesn't involve me being dumb.

Offline CaptainObvious

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 04:44:46 am »
Honestly, that's why I purchase from eBay / Amazon. They have amazing protection for the buyers! I've had only 2 bad experiences in my 10+ years purchasing on eBay, but when I did, got resolved in no time! I'm not sure how this will change now that PayPal and eBay have separated, but time will tell.   :)

On a side note.. Amazon just started offering 7 day shipping in my area.. so I get packages on Saturday and Sunday! ($4 overnight shipping on most products.. buying before noon has guaranteed delivery next day... it's saved me more than once on some job sites :))

Offline GoneTomorrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 05:21:12 am »
I don't mind the 888D. Just program your common temps in and then quickly switch between them. It's not often I need 339.78563295438 degrees C, but I only have 350 preset (not that you'd be able to do that on the 888 anyway)

Offline njkmonty

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 11:16:49 am »
 Not knowing what I was doing , and after watching an EEvblog video on the 888, I bought one from Alibaba.
Again not realising it was fake until mutch later, I sent an email with pics to Hakko Australia asking them provide me info about the transformer inside and if I could wire it to change it to 240v.

Instead they told me to send it to them , and they sent me back a genuine 240v australian Model,
I was stoked , great service!

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »
If you can't find an analog hakko,  I'd recommend a Weller WES51.  It's about 94 USD from Amazon and it's very good.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 12:20:08 pm »
That sucks, the weller wes51 from weller-toolsus.com is $186. the same model via amazon uk is £358 , only difference is the transformer I guess. Suffer ye if you live in the UK.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 04:41:21 pm »
That sucks, the weller wes51 from weller-toolsus.com is $186. the same model via amazon uk is £358 , only difference is the transformer I guess. Suffer ye if you live in the UK.
It's actually cheaper to buy a 230V to 110V transformer.

Of course you could change the internal transformer but you've got to find one which would fit and it would void the warranty.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:19 am »
Sadly, the WES51 (or WESD51) are only made for the North American market. No way it's worth that $186 price tag either.

Weller does offer the WS 81 for those that want an analog control unit in the UK/EU market. Unfortunately, it doesn't come cheap.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf