Author Topic: Component selection for MC34063-based AA battery mobile charger  (Read 2008 times)

Offline GiantGnomeTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi all

I am trying to build a MintyBoost-like device from the parts in my junk bin. I have some MC34063's and some schottkys and I hope to scrounge the rest - I probably need to buy the inductor from my local electronics shop.

The charger for my current phone says 5V / 400mA on it, but to keep the switching current below 1.5A, I have opted to accept 375mA :)

I have used http://dics.voicecontrol.ro/tutorials/mc34063/ to calculate some values - I need about a 10uH inductor, 0.2 ohm sense resistor and a schottky diode (and some other parts)

But what does the power/current rating of the components need to be?

For the sense resistor, is it fine to say 0.2 ohm * 1.5A^2 = 0,45W? I was thinking of paralleling up five 1 ohm resistors.

The inductor needs to be able to handle peak current, so I was thinking 2 or more amps

The schottkys I have (SS14) says Maximum Average Forward Current: 1.0 A - this is less than 1.5A, but the 1.5A is peak, not average? As the diode is after the switcher, wouldn't the maximum average be 375mA? Can I use the SS14 diode, or will I need to buy one with a larger current rating?

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: Component selection for MC34063-based AA battery mobile charger
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:17:23 pm »
I would seriously recommend ditching the MC34063 and going with a more modern boost regulator.

MC34063 needs at least 3v to operate in the first place and the efficiency is LOUSY.  You'll get maybe 60-65% efficiency, which is bad.

If you still insist on doing a mc34063 boost regulator, there's a more advanced calculator (software) here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mc34063uc/  which should tell you those peak currents and more details about parts you should get.

Offline GiantGnomeTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 07:32:11 pm »
I will have to insist, as it is the only regulator I have. Next year, I will probably look in to making something more efficient (or just buying a mintyboost), but I think it is a good exercise (when doing one-off projects) to use what you have and not have.

The advanced calculator looks very interesting - but only runs on Windows, which I sadly do not have access to. I will have to look at it at work (in the lunch break, of course ;) ).

Offline Mr Smiley

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:54:41 pm »
If you've got it ,,, use it  :-+

http://dics.voicecontrol.ro/tutorials/mc34063/

I've got a bag full and can see no reason at all to bin them for an extra 5% efficiency  >:D and an extra 3-4 dollars in cost.

Most switchers are only highly efficient under strict working conditions, go outside those and your 34063 is just as good.

:)
There is enough on this planet to sustain mans needs. There will never be enough on this planet to sustain mans greed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf