Author Topic: Components dissolved/damaged by flux cleaners?  (Read 4661 times)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Components dissolved/damaged by flux cleaners?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 07:38:18 pm »
right. now thats a nice goggle we should be wearing when handling diaper i should have done this when my kids was very small :palm: and since sodium polyacrylate is analogous to synthetic rubber, we should be wearing that too when handling electronics. thinking about it, i think there are few interesting experiments... one is to turn on soldering iron and when it reaches nominal temperature just press the side of the tip to our cheek, or another experiment will be touching a live naked wire... when i said cheek or live wire so the results would be almost immediate. yeah right, electronics is life threatening hobby, get a safer one like kinder gardening.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 07:55:12 pm »
right. now thats a nice goggle we should be wearing when handling diaper i should have done this when my kids was very small :palm: and since sodium polyacrylate is analogous to synthetic rubber, we should be wearing that too when handling electronics.

You only look at the pictures (like your kids), right?  :palm:

Excerpt:

Acrylic acid is “esterified” by reacting it with alcohols such as ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or methanol. In the esterification reaction the hydrogen atom in the acidic carboxyl group (CO2H) on the acrylic acid molecule is replaced by an organic group—a methyl group (CH3) in reactions with methanol and an ethyl group (CH2CH3) in reactions with ethanol.

In case you did not know - Acrylic elastomers are called synthetic rubber as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylate_polymer#Acrylic_elastomers

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 08:04:53 pm »
right, but he wore goggle anyway. for what chemistry i know, hydrogen is highly combustible gas i need a vacuum chamber :scared:
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 08:12:12 pm »
If you think differently then please cite the mechanism of action with references to a reliable source that explains it - there's enough "heard it from a bloke down the pub" physical chemistry in this thread without adding more.

Here you go:

https://www.britannica.com/science/polyacrylate

That page (about polyacrylates) says literally nothing about the matter at hand. It does not include the word isopropanol, nor any of the variations of 2-propanol's names, or any mention of rubber swelling. The only mention of "rubber" is in the sentence "Polyacrylates can be modified to produce a specialty rubber known as polyacrylate elastomer.".

[edit] Mechanism does not even need citation - imagine canister with alcohol inside, it's lid with rubber seal. First week you will not notice that seal disintegrates.

Again, totally irrelevant even if it were true. We're talking about washing boards with isopropanol, not storing it in bottles. As it is, I've kept isopropanol in bottles with rubber seals  (in some case for so long that seals fail for mechanical reasons) and I've never had one "disintegrate".

It takes more than that. BTW exactly that happened with seal of my "lo cost" gas canister, in one year. Here we have alcohol additives in generic gasoline.

Have you been trying to drink it for the alcohol content? That might explain a thing or two. Like why you don't consider that the gasoline might have something to do with that seal disintegrating.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2018, 08:13:05 pm »
right, but he wore goggle anyway. for what chemistry i know, hydrogen is highly combustible gas i need a vacuum chamber :scared:

Are you trolling or trying to joke? Either way I do not find it funny

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2018, 08:37:03 pm »
That page (about polyacrylates) says literally nothing about the matter at hand. It does not include the word isopropanol, nor any of the variations of 2-propanol's names

It says "Acrylic acid is “esterified” by reacting it with alcohols such as ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or methanol.". If they do not list all the Alcohols then it does not count?  |O

or any mention of rubber swelling.

Here: "Both ethyl acrylate and methyl acrylate are flammable liquids that are prone to spontaneous polymerization, a reaction in which the acrylate molecules (at this point called monomers) link together to form long, multiple-unit molecules (polymers). "

The only mention of "rubber" is in the sentence "Polyacrylates can be modified to produce a specialty rubber known as polyacrylate elastomer.".

Ignorance is bliss. You need that every question you can think of shall be answered in that one single article, otherwise whole discussion is disqualified?

http://www.industrialrubbergoods.com/types-of-synthetic-rubber.html

As it is, I've kept isopropanol in bottles with rubber seals  (in some case for so long that seals fail for mechanical reasons) and I've never had one "disintegrate".

We talk about synthetic rubbers.

Have you been trying to drink it for the alcohol content? That might explain a thing or two.

You are suggesting what exactly?

Like why you don't consider that the gasoline might have something to do with that seal disintegrating.

You are not only rude but ignorant or simply uneducated as well. Didn't you notice that I talk about Acrylic rubber/elastomers?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:31 pm »
That page (about polyacrylates) says literally nothing about the matter at hand. It does not include the word isopropanol, nor any of the variations of 2-propanol's names

It says "Acrylic acid is “esterified” by reacting it with alcohols such as ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or methanol.". If they do not list all the Alcohols then it does not count?  |O

or any mention of rubber swelling.

Here: "Both ethyl acrylate and methyl acrylate are flammable liquids that are prone to spontaneous polymerization, a reaction in which the acrylate molecules (at this point called monomers) link together to form long, multiple-unit molecules (polymers). "

The only mention of "rubber" is in the sentence "Polyacrylates can be modified to produce a specialty rubber known as polyacrylate elastomer.".

Ignorance is bliss. You need that every question you can think of shall be answered in that one single article, otherwise whole discussion is disqualified?

http://www.industrialrubbergoods.com/types-of-synthetic-rubber.html

As it is, I've kept isopropanol in bottles with rubber seals  (in some case for so long that seals fail for mechanical reasons) and I've never had one "disintegrate".

We talk about synthetic rubbers.

Have you been trying to drink it for the alcohol content? That might explain a thing or two.

You are suggesting what exactly?

That you never make any sense, you fly off at unrelated tangents, claiming knowledge about something while at the same time demonstrating woeful ignorance of the subject in hand (like now, where you make it abundantly clear that you would not pass even a High School Chemistry exam) and then change horses in mid-stream when someone points out that you're not right, somewhat in the fashion of a person impaired by the oral consumption of gasoline.

Like why you don't consider that the gasoline might have something to do with that seal disintegrating.

You are not only rude but ignorant or simply uneducated as well. Didn't you notice that I talk about Acrylic rubber/elastomers?

And you are a rude nasty little man who is clearly more interested in getting a rise out of people than having a civilised discussion that might actually enlighten anyone. I and other people have tried to engage with you constructively on a number of occasions and each time you eventually just turn pointlessly rude and insulting. I could explain the litany of errors in what you've said above (e.g. further esterification as a magical expatiation of swelling in already esterified rubber, at room temperature in the absence of catalysts no less), but I know you won't listen and will just be insulting. Goodbye, don't call again.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2018, 10:27:02 pm »
Please do not forget that I am not only reader here. Feel free to correct litany of my errors - so other readers are not misinformed by information I provided URL's to (lol). I will not post here in this thread anymore anyway

[edit] Oh, Cerebus is  talking about that thread where he called me names as well. I will ask moderator for comment. If I am the one - so be it, in such case bye EEVBlog.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:40:43 am by ogden »

Offline Mick B

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2018, 01:19:43 am »
Well not wanting to or trying to piss anyone off. Just trying to convey how dangerous I think that stuff is. A relative of mine that used to sniff glue he stepped up to Toluene and walked in a moving train.
Seeing how I'm a nube, To anyone I might have offended please except my apologies, I don't have the wisdom of a Supper Contributor please forgive my naivete, I will try not to offend anyone else. 

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2018, 01:47:07 am »
I don't have the wisdom of a Supper Contributor please forgive my naivete, I will try not to offend anyone else.

Well... if I may make an example of myself... realize that only means the user has posted a lot. ;)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2018, 01:48:44 am »
Well not wanting to or trying to piss anyone off. Just trying to convey how dangerous I think that stuff is. A relative of mine that used to sniff glue he stepped up to Toluene and walked in a moving train.
Seeing how I'm a nube, To anyone I might have offended please except my apologies, I don't have the wisdom of a Supper Contributor please forgive my naivete, I will try not to offend anyone else.

It was the snide:
Toluene is the ingredient in glue that makes people high, perhaps that is why some people are advocating it's use.

that invited ire, that was out of line, but your genuine concern is noted. Toluene is perfectly safe, if used appropriately, but something that is, by definition, substance abuse is obviously a different matter. Deliberately inhaling the fumes from any organic solvent is, at best, chancy behaviour and at worst is something that can rapidly - as in seconds to minutes - become fatal if you pick the wrong solvent vapour at the wrong concentration (chloroform and diethyl ether are the obvious examples that come to mind).

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2018, 10:52:20 am »
i'm sorry for the lost but suggesting personal view based on personal bad experience that is not realistic in practical life is not a good idea imho. based on your method, many other stuffs like knife, gun, most chemical that is used day to day to benefit people, fuel, lighter etc should be banned because somehow they caused injuries or death in one way or another. luckily you are not mr president.

To anyone I might have offended please except my apologies
get offended is something, but giving false information (based on fear) is something else. i think only toluene manufacturer should get offended.

I don't have the wisdom of a Supper Contributor.
wisdom and super contributor dont always go along. i much prefer a wise administrator/moderator.

Are you trolling or trying to joke? Either way I do not find it funny
i thought you are the one started it. and you made it so. i find wearing goggle while handling diaper is a joke, i think every mama will agree with me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf