Author Topic: connect drone motors to each channel of the oscilloscope  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Adrian_Arg.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
connect drone motors to each channel of the oscilloscope
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:43:36 am »
forgive my English, for example if I have a 4-channel oscilloscope and a drone, I can place a probe to each motor and see it on the oscilloscope, or because of the dread of the mass in common can not be done, I wonder why the rigol ds1054z it has masses and earth, all connected together. and I would like to see each engine in each channel.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Re: connect drone motors to each channel of the oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:47:05 am »
You need one differential probe connected to each channel of the DS1054Z to be able to do floating measurements.

From Tektronix: A floating measurement reads the voltage between two points, neither of which is at ground potential

Micsig manufactures the DP10013 differential probe that sells for around $170 each in the US. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-low-cost-($170)-100mhz-differential-scope-probe-from-micsig/msg1254420/#msg1254420
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:53:04 am by TK »

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 07:43:18 am »
Depends on the drone. Mine uses three phase motors in a delta configuration. So a four channel scope is only good to observe one motor (unless you pick a random phase for each motor and watch all four). What are you trying to see, just RPM? If I connect the ground of my scope to the negative battery terminal of the drone and three of the channels to the three phases I get the attached picture. Again, three phases in delta configuration, so these are not the voltages which the motor sees, but what they are relative to ground. Watch your fingers...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:51:32 am by ivaylo »

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 09:01:09 am »
If you are testing the flight controller response to gyro movements you would be better scoping the signal wire to the ESCs.  They will be commoned on the receiver or flight control board.  Should be a PWM signal around 50Hz, the duty cycle will reveal the motor power setting.

However, I am from the old school when you had to build your own stuff from a frame, individual ESCs and motors.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Adrian_Arg.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 09:41:35 pm »
Ok, then I can connect each probe to each Motor Speed Regulator Control, so connect the four negative ones to a single point of take, the probe tips to each motor, if I did that goodbye oscilloscope? or I understood wrong, a mass in common and there if I can connect the tips to each engine. motor?

Offline jomykenny

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:06:21 am »
forgive my English, for example if I have a 4-channel oscilloscope and a drone, I can place a probe to each motor and see it on the oscilloscope, or because of the dread of the mass in common can not be done, I wonder why the rigol ds1054z it has masses and earth, all connected together. and I would like to see each engine in each channel.

You can see the articles here https://thedroneracing.com/build-a-drone-kit/ to choose for yourself a good motor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf