Author Topic: Connecting a Seiki 4K HD 39" to a DELL OPTIPLEX GX 620?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline TRAPTRAPTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Connecting a Seiki 4K HD 39" to a DELL OPTIPLEX GX 620?
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:36:22 am »
I'm wondering if it's possible to connect a Seiki 4K HD 39" to a DELL OPTIPLEX GX 620? The PC is old, and the TV is newer, so I wasn't sure. If someone could tell me how exactly I'd go about, and my options?

Also, what cords/ equipment to use. Anyone's preferred or any suggestions on best equipment for it? By the way, pricing isn't too much an issue here, so go crazy!

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
Re: Connecting a Seiki 4K HD 39" to a DELL OPTIPLEX GX 620?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 03:51:12 am »
Have you really that much trouble, in general, of connecting an output of one device to an input of another similar, yet different, device?
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:54:57 am »
 :blah: I don't own "NEW AGE" TVs, so I don't know if they take different plugs or what.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:02:55 am »
Well, let's see...

TV's these days generally have maybe a HDMI, maybe DVI, maybe a VGA, maybe composite, maybe component, maybe even an antenna input.
So, let's do some math.  How old do you think this "4K HD" TV really is?

Can you NOT identify the video outputs of a Dell Optiplex GX620?

Have you no Google-Foo?

I just Google'd both items and got the answers in maybe 10-15 seconds.

Just that lazy or what?
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:09:25 am »
 :box:

LOL, I come here to save time, so I don't have to have a fit on google looking for it. I've gotten really, really helpful answers to my questions on here before, but you sir, are naughty. XD

Lazy? Far from. I asked here because I have a SHIT LOAD of other stuff on my plate, and don't GOTZ TIMEZ BROZ...  :-//

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:30:11 am »
Looked at your other posts.
Still can't use da Google...after all this time.  WTF?
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 06:51:04 am »
You'll have to buy a Video Card with HDMI output and a fairly current NVIDIA or AMD chipset with at least 1GB of RAM if you want to use the 4K resolution otherwise you can use the VGA output of the OPTIPLEX but you'll get 1920x1080 resolution. I purchased the Seiki last month and I have it connected to a Radeon R9 270X. For $285 after rebate can't complain  :)
I went from 17", to 19", to 24", to 28", and now 39" :) :)
I payed less for the 28" than the 24" and now less for the 39" than the 28"

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:26:26 am »
Ah, see, I knew it wasn't as simple as just connecting them together (at least as far as getting the best visual out of it)! Thanks, casinada!  :-+ "Video Card with HDMI output and a fairly current NVIDIA or AMD chipset", I'll keep that in mind!

Another question, which I haven't been able to find an answer for by just looking around the net, is this...

As a few users around here might remember, I have horrible eyesight, and need images or text to be at a larger size than most people. No glasses, or sitting really close won't help. So, how would it look if I turned the size of the windows, icons, text, way up? I'm sure the quality is going to go way down, but keeping the quality up for me to not be able to even see it isn't any good.

Anyone who has the TV, if I were to stick it WAY UP, like X4/X6 a usual PC, what would it degrade to?

Thanks again!  :)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 03:42:33 am »
I've read in amazon comments that it only have HDMI 1.4b input.
I'm really happy with it, but i have a few reservations about recommending it wholesale to just anyone. The SEIKI 39" 4k "TV" still has limitations as a computer monitor. It has HDMI 1.4b inputs, which means it can only support 30Hz at 4k resolution. Hopefully future revisions of this display support HDMI 2.0, or add DisplayPort connections to enable 60Hz. I hear this is a big deal for gaming, but I don't notice it in my daily web developer workflow.
In such a case to get a full resolution over HDMI you need video card which support HDMI 1.4+ and is capable of 2x bandwidth of older HDMI revisions. AFAIK many newest AMD and Nvidia GPUs support it, but model wise AMD is better it this regards. But need to check this capability as many new lower end models actually are rebadged older models which might not support it. Seems that newest Intel GPU's intagrated in the CPU support this too, at least my notebook with Haswell CPU do.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 03:48:49 am »
Just had a peek in the OPTIPLEX GX 620 specs. I don't think that 4k is a good idea on this PC. Without GPU hardware decoding (read in its current state) it should have problems to play even usual HD videos, not saying 4K. Upgrading this geezer do not seem to be viable at all and ti still would be unable to do it's job fine in many cases because of the weak CPU because GPU acceleration is not always applicable and recuires specific player/codecs/setup. Youtube videos likely won't play fine at 1080p anyway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:04:00 am by wraper »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 04:01:16 am »
Okay, thanks for letting me know! I may still consider it though, as my main goal in doing this is for a larger screen over the actual quality itself, though I don't want it to be too terrible.

It'll at the very least work with the PC, right? And, even with trying to up the size of everything, even with losing visual?

Is there a way to check what level of HDMI it has? Like you said, if it's 1.4 or higher? Mine is an old PC, but I get them refurbished and upgraded to a lot higher than the original model comes?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:10:14 am »
If GPU is 2.5+ years old, that is a dead giveaway that it do not support HDMI 1.4. You can try to run it at lower resolution with passive DVI-HDMI adapter though, guess it should have DVI. Likely will run 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, but IMO performance will be terrible to get any real use out of it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 02:34:41 am »
You're saying it's going to be terribly slow? Right? I might give it a shot anyway, with that or the 55" inch, although, if I could ask this? What is a decent HDMI PC that runs on Windows 7, from the last few years, before the Windows 8 nonsense. One that will be compatible with this. Preferably a full sized, large desktop. Just to get an idea, if by the time I buy the TV I'll want to upgrade from my old one. I just don't want to go to Windows 8, I'll stick with 7, THANK YOU~  :-+

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 03:00:35 am »
Anything that came with windows 7 from factory won't support 4k over HDMI unless replacing GPU with something new. Dual link DVI shoud, however TV must have such input too. If TV have the Displayport input, and your PC have it too, then 4k is possible without the latest generation GPUs which are essential to support HDMI 1.4 which are close in capability to older revision of displayport (appeared earlier). If you have i7 licence on the old computer, I would just use the key from the old one to install it on new hardware. Would recommend something like core i5, maybe i3 but they have slower GPU AFAIK, any generation of them will do the job. 8GB of RAM. Ivy bridge generation core i5 should support 4k over HDMI built in the motherboard, but not very sure about that, though. Newer Hasswell i5 support it AFAIK, but need to check(google) anyway.  Probably buy new "middle low"/"middle" range GPU but not necessary if you are going to watch Full HD movies and your CPU and integrated GPU are decent enough.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:14:12 am by wraper »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 03:13:02 am »
Likely previous post seems very messy but it really depends which inputs TV/monitor have and output capability of the PC. Moreover, often best resolution/refresh rates are possible only on certain type(s) of the inputs. Need to be very careful. For example, my previous monitors did have HDMI (older revision) inputs but did not support full 2560x1600 resolution over them, 1920x1200 was maximum.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 03:26:07 am »
Thank you! Everything you've said has been very informative and helpful wraper! I looked into the i5, etc, and I
ll be keeping all this in mind for when I get that monitor, and using it for my Desktop PC! THANKS!  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf