Author Topic: connecting the rigol scope to a pc  (Read 14985 times)

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
connecting the rigol scope to a pc
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:40:56 pm »
has anyone connected their rigol osciloscope to their pc ? I just can't get the drivers to install, its very anoying (and hardly surprising !), I'm running wondows Vista and yes its time these cheapscate manufacturers support it because its been around long enough and XP is on the way out so then what ?

I haven't tried it on XP yet, has anyone else ?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: connecting the rigol scope to a pc
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:49:30 pm »
Mine worked on XP no problem.

Can't say I actually use it for anything useful though, but I did install it when I got it just to try it out.

Dave.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:25:42 pm »
ok so its the usual el cheapo syndrome, can't be botheed to make to the current software standards, the software installs but the drivers will not

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 03:20:13 pm »
Have you tried booting Vista in safe mode? I've heard that can work with some unsigned drivers.

Does it use a USB interface?

I know it's a pain but if you must use Vista then you could install XP on a VM such as VirtualBox which will allow you to connect to the real USB port.

The problem is you need enough memory both for Vista, XP and the 'scope program, probably 1GB minimum.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 04:51:10 pm »
no I haven't tried running it in safe mode, if that gets the drivers installed fair enough but i can't use safe mode to run it as in any case the usb ports probably do not work in safe mode.

I could use a virtual machine i suppose, with 8 GB of ram and a quad core processor thats not an issue but at the end of a day a company that cannot make software for vista is not worth their salt ! its not a case of "if i have to use vista", xp will not be supported soon and with a 64 bit processor and 8 GB of ram (not sure on the over 2 core but) I have no choice, XP is fast becoming a thing of the past because micro$oft have made it so. I'd go windows 7 as soon as possible but thats going to have the same issues

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:05:49 pm »
I prefer to blame Microsoft for producing an operating system which isn't very backward compatible.

It could also be that the software has some 16-bit components which won't run on a 64-bit OS but no company these days should be be using 16-bit code in thier software.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:54:19 pm by Hero999 »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:49:27 pm »
exactly 16 bit is a no go, it was left behind years ago (well even ms took their time) but its finally gone. any company worth their salt must be using 32 or 64 bit.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:22:47 am »
I normally use VirtualBox for running Windows programs under Linux but here it is running Windows 2000 under XP. I like the way it can be configured to integrate with the XP desktop.

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 07:46:37 pm »
You blame MS for making their OS not backward compatible, and also think 16 bit shouldn't be used anymore ? ;)

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:36:11 pm »
well to ditch 32 bit is not good but its time 16 bit stuff went, I have tried to use many 32 bit programs that simply will not work on vista 64 bit and this is not good but for company's to still be using 16 bit is a joke

Offline stormBytes

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 08:52:33 pm »
Mine worked on XP no problem.

Can't say I actually use it for anything useful though, but I did install it when I got it just to try it out.

Dave.

What might be an example of a 'useful application' of Rigol/PC interfacing?

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 08:36:03 am »
I interfaced my computer to the Rigol 100Mhz o-scope when the electronics lab at my school bought them new.  I used XP, I'm sure your problem is that there is no Vista support, though I haven't tried.  From the Rigol site:

Functions

UltraScope for DS1000E Series
UltraScope software allows connections of Rigol DS1000E series oscilloscope to a PC through USB or RS-232 interface under  Windows 98, 2000, NT, and Windows XP

The UltraScope software provides the following control and analysis features:
Use Data Browser to display captured waveforms, data and measurements.
Use DSO Controller to control the oscilloscope locally or remotely .
Save waveform in “BMP” format.
Save data into “TXT” or “EXCEL” file format for analysis.
Print the waveforms.

You're not missing out though.  The only feature is that you can transfer data and take control of the o-scope through the computer.  After you assume computer control, the physical controls on the scope are no longer functional (until you break control).  I found this to be very annoying, because while it did duplicate the Rigol display on my PC, it made controlling it very clunky with the mouse.  If you want to log data or save screenshots, just save it to a USB flash drive stuck in the front of it.  Much easier, faster.  You can transfer files already saved on the scope to the USB flash drive too.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:42:24 am »
It is my understanding that Rigol is in the process to change their PC software architecture when it comes to Win 7 support (at least that is what I could get out of Rigol "support" - pulling teeth, you know).

AFAIK, AFAIR, YMMV Rigol is going the National Instruments route providing VISA (not Vista :-)) drivers http://www.ni.com/visa/ from NI instead of having their own outdated drivers. For some instruments the Chinese web site already has VISA drivers and VISA based software.

Have fun with one or more of this, maybe you can get it to work:

http://www.rigol.com/templates/T_Support/resources.aspx?nodeid=78&contentid=803
http://www.rigol.com/templates/T_Support/resources.aspx?nodeid=78&contentid=1373
http://www.rigol.com/templates/T_Support/resources.aspx?nodeid=78&contentid=1383
http://www.rigol.com/templates/T_Support/resources.aspx?nodeid=78&contentid=1456
http://www.rigol.com/templates/T_Support/resources.aspx?nodeid=78&contentid=1457
http://www.rigol.com/templates/T_Support/resources.aspx?nodeid=78&contentid=1459
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:45:11 am by Andrew »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf