Author Topic: Considering a soldering station (Hakko FX888/888D?)  (Read 29957 times)

Offline analogixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Considering a soldering station (Hakko FX888/888D?)
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:26:29 am »
After many years using a (nice but sometimes a bit weak) 25W (or was it 30W?) Goot soldering iron with a simple sponge holder I'm considering getting a replacement with a proper stand. I'm just a hobbyist making kits and DIY projects, but I want something that'll last and make the hobby more enjoyable.

I'm thinking that something with an adjustable temperature will be useful for more versatility from soldering ICs and such, and in other instances cables, connectors etc. I've never used a soldering station before but understand that it has its advantages over my other upgrade option: a temperature adjustable soldering iron -this being a lower cost alternative. But from what I understand it doesn't control the temperature very well and isn't static-electricity shielded as a soldering station is, meaning the soldering iron can "shock" and damage sensitive parts.

Price/quality wise it seems the Hakko FX888D is my best bet. I'm a little skeptical towards the "digital" membrane button controls though as my experience is they eventually break and you end up with yet another "throw away and buy a new one" device whereas with an older style "analog" knob controller you can at least replace a worn potmeter and you get a more immediate response instead of having to "dial in" the temperature every time you need to solder something. I believe the previous model from Hakko was the FX888 (without the "D" suffix) but is no longer available as far as I know (at least not new). Opinions or experiences on this?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Considering a soldering station (Hakko FX888/888D?)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:34:38 am »
Yes FX-888 is discontinued, only fakes are still being sold. As you are in Europe, you might reconsider buying HAKKO as the price is 2x higher in Europe than in US. What is sold on ebay and other places at the price like in US, all are counterfeits. AFAIK one of the very few places in Europe where you can buy Hakko at relatively "reasonable" price is Batterfly (Italy).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:49:05 am »
Yes, the price is twice of that in the U.S. here in Norway (US$ 200 (€ 183) with taxes, but plus local delivery -not sure how much) but buying a fake is out of the question.
If I order from Batterfly in Italy I'll be paying around € 175 with taxes, shipping etc., so I'm not sure if it's worth it as it'll be a hassle in case of warranty issues, repairs etc.
Tips and replacement parts shouldn't be a problem as the local agent has all that.

So the high costs aside (Weller and other brands are even more expensive here with the exception of the Weller WHS-40 for around € 100, but I hear their red soldering stations like that one aren't in the class of their (high-end) blue models, and really are just "toys" and a waste of money): are the FX888D any good? How do they compare to the "analog" FX888? The cheapest ERSA I've found here so far (ERSA RDS-80) is around € 270 + local delivery), so for quality brands the Hakko seems to be the one, pricewise at least.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:04:46 am by analogix »

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:06:42 am »
I have to be honest, I have one of those digital cheap knock offs from china, but I dont trust digital and prefer analog so I am waiting for a genuine analog hakko to be offered on here, who knows. If that fails it is a case of making a clone of the Hakko  board and using a genuine iron
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:33:28 am »
The cheapest ERSA I've found here so far (ERSA RDS-80) is around € 270 + local delivery), so for quality brands the Hakko seems to be the one, pricewise at least.

Oh no, please stay well clear of the Ersa RDS 80, this thing is real crusty ancient technology with bad regulation, bad heat transfer and a cable between station and handpiece one would expect on an electric lawnmower, but not on a soldering iron... Sucks really bad... Don't even think about it...  :-DD

If you want to go Ersa, the I-Con nano would be a nice station. You can get in Germany from ersa-shop.com for 177,- € with free shipping. Amazon.de also has it. But since you're in Norge, shipping costs may be significant...  :(
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:12 pm »
The cheapest ERSA I've found here so far (ERSA RDS-80) is around € 270 + local delivery), so for quality brands the Hakko seems to be the one, pricewise at least.
I would have a really hard time to find RDS 80 for eur 270.
First result in google http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/813123/Soldering-station----digital----80-W----Ersa----RDS-80----150-up-to-450-
But I won't recommend to buy it either, it is ancient and not ESD safe. If going for ERSA, buy I-CON PICO instead. Other than not being ESD safe (lacks earth connection in the mains plug), it is much better than FX-888D in every aspect. http://www.ersa-shop.com/ersa-icon-pico-elektronisch-geregelte-l%C3%B6tstation-zeitstandby-p-8705.html
I guess it lacks earth lead only to not undercut their I-CON NANO which otherwise is almost the same thing (except the price  >:D). It can be easily modified though, internally hearing element is connected to the ground wire. Replace the power cable, attach earth wire to the internal ground and you have <almost> I-CON NANO.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:20:03 pm by wraper »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:04:35 am »
I guess it lacks earth lead only to not undercut their I-CON NANO which otherwise is almost the same thing (except the price  >:D). It can be easily modified though, internally hearing element is connected to the ground wire. Replace the power cable, attach earth wire to the internal ground and you have <almost> I-CON NANO.

Are you speaking hypothetically or have you actually done this and tested that it works? I ask because from what I've seen,  the Pico uses a ceramic heating element with no exposed metal on it, and the handle is plastic too, so I don't see any way for it to become grounded if you add a grounded cord.

The Nano uses a metal heating element. (I have the nano.)

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 05:17:33 pm »
it is ancient and not ESD safe.

The RDS 80 is ESD safe, have a look on page 23 in the operations manual.

Offline MarkM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »
I've been using the JBC CD-1bb for 4 years.  Never let me down.  More expensive, but well worth it IMHO.  I actually ditched the FX888(original analog one) for the JBC due to needing more power.

Offline drcheap

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 06:00:53 am »
After many years using a (nice but sometimes a bit weak) 25W (or was it 30W?) Goot soldering iron with a simple sponge holder I'm considering getting a replacement with a proper stand. I'm just a hobbyist making kits and DIY projects, but I want something that'll last and make the hobby more enjoyable.

As someone who fits that description exactly I can tell you that you will be very pleased with the Hakko regardless of the digital or analog variant.

Since I was a bit late to the game on upgrading my soldering iron I ended up getting the digital model (888D).  It is not as quick'n'easy to adjust as the analog (although can be close if you program in a few presets), it is a quite a nice setup.  The real-time actual temp readout is nice as well, awesome to see how fast it heats up, especially when you are used to those crappy little fixed temp 25W sticks.  And no need to perform Dave's red/green LED hack since the digital unit includes the heating/idle indicator out of the box ;D

The quality of my soldering almost immediately went up at least an order of magnitude simply by replacing my generic fixed-temp crappy-tips iron with a good product like the Hakko 888.  Then it got even better over time as I was able to further improve my technique when not hindered by the crap iron.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:02:57 am by drcheap »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:36:31 am »
You can get in Germany from ersa-shop.com for 177,- € with free shipping. Amazon.de also has it. But since you're in Norge, shipping costs may be significant...  :(
Given the prices on quality stations in the EU, this ^ is excellent advice. You'll get a lot more station for similar money as the FX-888D if you do.

For whatever reason ersa-shop is an issue, you might also want to take a look at beta-estore (direct link).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 08:53:38 am »
Since I was a bit late to the game on upgrading my soldering iron I ended up getting the digital model (888D).  It is not as quick'n'easy to adjust as the analog (although can be close if you program in a few presets), it is a quite a nice setup.

How well is it built? From photos it seems like it uses mebrane switches, and from experience I know they eventually break and can't be replaced with standard parts, but you have to rely on the manufacturer to have a new membrane front panel available.
Also, do you have to press those buttons each time you switch the unit on, or does it automatically use the same temperature as last used, so the only tear and wear will be on the power switch? I don't see myself needing to change the temperature so often as I usually solder the same type of through-hole components.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 09:16:07 am »
You can get in Germany from ersa-shop.com for 177,- € with free shipping. Amazon.de also has it. But since you're in Norge, shipping costs may be significant...  :(
Given the prices on quality stations in the EU, this ^ is excellent advice. You'll get a lot more station for similar money as the FX-888D if you do.

For whatever reason ersa-shop is an issue, you might also want to take a look at beta-estore (direct link).

What makes an Ersa soldering station better than the Hakko FX888D?
I don't know too much about the brand Ersa, but believe it's a German quality brand like Weller?
I can probably buy online from Germany, but with added shipping, import taxes etc. I'm not sure if it will be a "low cost" unit any longer and perhaps I could just as well buy it locally and enjoy warranty etc.
Here in Norway I can get an Ersa RDS-80 for around € 250/US$ 280 (I found a cheaper place than the price I quoted in an earlier posting) or an Ersa IC1300A ("I-con Pico" I think?) for around € 213/US$ 235 including shipping/taxes etc. Other models are more expensive as far as I know.

By the way, why do some of the "quality" soldering irons come with stands that have cleaning sponges (Ersa, Weller etc.) while others (Hakko) use brass wool or whatever it is? I've read that cleaning a hot tip with a wet sponge is a big no-no as it will get "shocked" because of the temperature difference and eventually damage the tip, but those brand names must know what they're doing.... Also some stands seem to be made of plastic/rubber etc. (Ersa RDS-80, Hakko FX888D etc.) while others (Ersa IC1300A etc.) are of metal which seems to make more sense to me both for damage and safety (emission of fumes etc. when heating the plastic/rubber). Any need to be concerned?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:34:21 am by analogix »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:38:20 am »
The Ersas in question are just higher-power stations, so better for a wider range of situations. In addition, Ersa is based in Europe, so getting parts (like tips and extra tip holders) for them is trivial -- every electronics distributor has them, as does Amazon. In contrast, Hakko parts are quite hard to get here.

Norway is like Switzerland (where I live) in that we aren't part of the EU, so import duty is a pain in the a$$. That's why I bought my i-Con Nano from Amazon.de: Amazon handles import duty, and removes EU VAT. Hakko was not available this way, so that did indeed play into my decision.

Amazon.de wants €177 for the i-Con Nano. Subtract VAT and add shipping and duty and it'll end up at about €170 -- way cheaper than the prices you quoted.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy an RDS 80 -- the cord to the handle is just way too thick for my taste. In contrast, I love the light, thin handle with light, thin cord of my Nano.

Ersa is indeed a top brand like Weller. As best I can tell, Weller is entirely specialized on hand tools, while Ersa also produces mass-production soldering equipment like reflow ovens and wave soldering machines.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:28 pm »

The thermal performance of the Ersa I-Con line is better. They use low mass tips with very good thermal coupling to the metallic heating element and a temperature sensor which is placed not far away from where the actual soldering takes place, right at the front of the heating element. The advantages of this design are rapid heat-up times, fast thermal recovery and good regulation. It's comparable to Wellers "Fast Response" technology irons. Certainly not on par with JBCs cartridge tip irons but really not to far off and with the advantage of getting three i-tool tips for roughly the same price as only one JBC cartridge. Ergonomics too, of course, just compare the little i-tool pencil to that clunky 888D wand... Don't get me wrong, the 888D is, by no means, a bad soldering station, especially if you can get it for a hundred bucks, but it is really a bit outdated nowadays  :popcorn:

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 12:06:54 pm »
Summary:
  • Shorter tip-to-grip distance, which gives you better control over the iron (always useful IMHO, but particularly so regarding SMD components).  ;)
  • The iron itself is more ergonomic/comfortable, which will make longer work sessions a breeze. It's also very light (stated as 30g), which plays into this as well.
  • Noticeably better performance (more efficient tip & element interface design + more power). You'll experience this in the form of shorter heat up times (9 - 10 second range from room temp to 350C), faster recovery between joints, and particularly as you get into situations when soldering on more layers and/or ground planes (i.e. situations where the FX-888D can't melt the solder while the Nano will make the joint for the same conditions).
  • Additional features vs. the FX-888D (datasheet, catalog .pdfs). You'd have to create an account to download the manual at KurtzErsa. In particular, you'd get setback capabilities (drop to a lower temp for x minutes and/or auto-off as you wish) when the iron is inserted in the stand (or you're totally still long enough) via the motion sensor in the iron itself.

It truly is quite a bit better than the FX-888D (shame the Hakko isn't the bargain it is in North America  :(). Batterfly has improved matters in the EU regarding FX-888D pricing, but the I-Con Nano is still the best value in the EU market IMHO (price/performance ratio blows the FX-888D away).

I don't know too much about the brand Ersa, but believe it's a German quality brand like Weller?
Yes it's a German brand.

Some of their production is in China (Pico & RDS80; source), but that's not exactly unheard of. Main issue would be if QC has slipped as a result, but this doesn't seem to be a problem with the Nano according to owners here in the forum. FWIW, the tips are German, and the quality is there (this is where quality matters most IME). Quality tips + the setback features + basic maintenance (tinning) can keep a tip usable for 10+ years, so very low consumables costs.

I can probably buy online from Germany, but with added shipping, import taxes etc. I'm not sure if it will be a "low cost" unit any longer and perhaps I could just as well buy it locally and enjoy warranty etc.
Here in Norway I can get an Ersa RDS-80 for around € 250/US$ 280 (I found a cheaper place than the price I quoted in an earlier posting) or an Ersa IC1300A ("I-con Pico" I think?) for around € 213/US$ 235 including shipping/taxes etc. Other models are more expensive as far as I know.
These prices are too high. Try Amazon.de recommended by tooki (not sure about the EU, but here in the US, do watch for being shipped a return; they're notorious for that stunt here IME  :rant:). If for some reason that doesn't work, try directly from ersa's estore, or beta-estore last (all the previous links we provided).

By the way, why do some of the "quality" soldering irons come with stands that have cleaning sponges (Ersa, Weller etc.) while others (Hakko) use brass wool or whatever it is? I've read that cleaning a hot tip with a wet sponge is a big no-no as it will get "shocked" because of the temperature difference and eventually damage the tip, but those brand names must know what they're doing.... Also some stands seem to be made of plastic/rubber etc. (Ersa RDS-80, Hakko FX888D etc.) while others (Ersa IC1300A etc.) are of metal which seems to make more sense to me both for damage and safety (emission of fumes etc. when heating the plastic/rubber). Any need to be concerned?
The "shock" of a damp sponge is how it actually works (shock breaks up the oxide layer, which is then wiped off). Works very well for lead based alloys as the temperature difference between set point and after cleaning is low enough it doesn't fracture the iron plating on the tip, and the tip temperature is able to recover in the time between leaving the sponge and touching the next joint.

The issue with sponges are the result of the higher soldering temperatures associated with lead-free solder alloys. In this case, the temperature difference that occurs between set temp & after using a damp sponge is larger than before. So much so that it causes both a longer recovery time between cleaning and performing the next joint, as well as fracture the iron plating on the tip as well. Which is important, as it exposes the copper in the tip to molten solder, which will erode it out rather quickly, turning your tip to scrap (way shorter lifespan when this happens, and is expensive if you're replacing tips often).

Using the brass wool solves this issue, as it doesn't generate the large temperature difference at the higher working temperatures needed for lead-free alloys. Yet still does a fine job of cleaning the tip (abrades it off, but don't damage the tips, as brass is softer than iron; they're also covered in a dry flux). So you get faster recovery between cleanings and longer tip life. It also quite happily cleans lead based alloys as well, and you don't need to worry about keeping distilled/deionized water on hand for sponges.  ;)

As per why manufacturers include what they do in their sets (i.e. sponge only for any station sold in todays RoHS required world), that may be for cost reasons rather than technical ones. Brass wool may be offered as an option rather than included for example (some of Ersa's are pictured with sponges, such as the RDS80, while others only come with brass wool, aka dry sponge, such as the i-Con Nano). Weller does this too (I've dealt with this personally).

Although I have both on hand, I primarily use the brass wool (fits my lazy nature, as I don't have to mess with wetting the sponge  >:D  :-DD). If you get both, try both, and see which you like best (particularly if you're primarily soldering with lead based alloys as is generally recommended on the forum  ;)). Otherwise, just use the brass wool that comes with the Nano (amazingly, the lowest end Hakko comes with both).

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it, as the wool really does do an excellent job with either.

The rubber/rubberized plastics used by the big name manufacturers for stands is proven as well. So I wouldn't be concerned over the stand supplied with the i-Con Nano.

Hope this mess helps.  :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:02 pm »
+1 for the brass wool.  I got the brass wool with the Hakko FX-951.  I like it much better than the sponge.  I don't have to keep a water bottle on the bench anymore, I don't spill water as I did with the 936.  The wool cleans just a good as the sponge without the negative effects.  In fact, I ordered a spare to have on hand.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 12:42:03 pm »
Try Amazon.de recommended by tooki (not sure about the EU, but here in the US, do watch for being shipped a return; they're notorious for that stunt here IME  :rant:).

They never did this to me and from what I read in German forums it's apparantely not a real problem on Amazon.de. If you return something to them and it was opened, they usually resell it on their "Warehouse Deals" platform for a reduced price and clearly labeled as "used".

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 05:05:25 pm »
I bought the US Hakko and run if off a 110V transformer. It works perfectly and it's still cheaper to buy a transformer+a US Hakko than a European Hakko.

Other people here have bought US Hakkos and converted them to 230V by replacing the internal 24V transformer.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 06:40:15 pm »
I have to be honest, I have one of those digital cheap knock offs from china, but I dont trust digital and prefer analog so I am waiting for a genuine analog hakko to be offered on here, who knows. If that fails it is a case of making a clone of the Hakko  board and using a genuine iron

Yeah, I much prefer analog control as well.
Have you heard about/considered the Japanese Goot RX-711?
Though they seem more common and popular in Asia I found several online stores selling them around the world which I posted about here.
Toolboom in Hong Kong has them for HK$ 1358 (€ 158/US$ 175) including free shipping (though they're out of stock at the moment). I'm considering one myself, but with import duties, taxes etc. I'll end up at € 212/US$ 235 instead  :(
... then again it might be a better idea to buy into a brand which is sold locally as well in case of repair, extra tips etc...

Photos attached below borrowed from Goot's website.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:12:14 pm by analogix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 07:05:57 pm »
Thanks for all the info regarding Ersa vs. other brands etc.
I obviously need to take several things into consideration such as spare parts and servicing being available locally. No matter what I buy it's going to be expensive (either buying locally (when the prices end up about the same as buying from abroad) or ordering from another country) with all the taxes, import duties, shipping etc. My options so far:

• Hakko FX800D (€ 183/US$ 200) local online purchase
  • Ersa i-con Nano (€ 260/US$ 288) Ersa online store in Germany
  • Goot PX711 (€ 212 /US$ 235) Toolbom online store in Hong Kong

Finally there are the low cost alternatives of temperature adjustable soldering irons such as:
  • Goot PX201 (€ 74/US$ 82) Toolboom online store in Hong Kong
... and a couple of other similar soldering irons from Hakko etc. for around the same price

Not soldering stations but they must certainly be a step up from a simple 25W Goot soldering iron? I'd like to hear from other people's experiences with these compared to soldering stations. My guess is that you get the temperature control of a soldering station, but probably a much thicker cable (i.e. more difficult to hold) and a similar feel and portability of my existing 25W soldering iron, but miss out on the ESD protection of proper soldering stations.... Maybe it's a more intermediate option when upgrading from a normal soldering iron. Opinions anyone?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:49:59 pm by analogix »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 07:12:42 pm »
Summary:
  • In particular, you'd get setback capabilities (drop to a lower temp for x minutes and/or auto-off as you wish) when the iron is inserted in the stand (or you're totally still long enough) via the motion sensor in the iron itself.

This is not true of the i-Con Nano; it uses only temperature drop to determine whether the iron is in use or not. Only the "big" i-Con series has the accelerometer. The Nano looks at whether there are temperature changes indicative of use, and if there aren't for the set time, it dials back a little bit first, and then a lot later. In the setback mode, if it then senses a sudden plunge in temperature (i.e. from touching it to a joint), then it wakes up. When in sleep mode, you have to press a button to wake it.

Some of their production is in China (Pico & RDS80; source), but that's not exactly unheard of. Main issue would be if QC has slipped as a result, but this doesn't seem to be a problem with the Nano according to owners here in the forum. FWIW, the tips are German, and the quality is there (this is where quality matters most IME). Quality tips + the setback features + basic maintenance (tinning) can keep a tip usable for 10+ years, so very low consumables costs.

My i-Con Nano says "Made in Germany" on it. :D

. Also some stands seem to be made of plastic/rubber etc. (Ersa RDS-80, Hakko FX888D etc.) while others (Ersa IC1300A etc.) are of metal which seems to make more sense to me both for damage and safety (emission of fumes etc. when heating the plastic/rubber). Any need to be concerned?

The rubber/rubberized plastics used by the big name manufacturers for stands is proven as well. So I wouldn't be concerned over the stand supplied with the i-Con Nano.

To be clear, the stand included with the i-Con Nano (and many of the larger i-Con models) is rubber with a ceramic insert. Normally, the iron isn't in any contact with the rubber, as the handle is held by the ceramic insert. The hot tip would really only contact the rubber when cleaning the tip on the brass wool.

Thanks for all the info regarding Ersa vs. other brands etc.
I obviously need to take several things into consideration such as spare parts and servicing being available locally. No matter what I buy it's going to be expensive (either buying locally (when the prices end up about the same as buying from abroad) or ordering from another country) with all the taxes, import duties, shipping etc. My options so far:

• Hakko FX800D (€ 183/US$ 200) local online purchase
  • Ersa i-con Nano (€ 260/US$ 288) Ersa online store in Germany
  • Goot PX711 (€ 212 /US$ 235) Toolbom online store in Hong Kong

Again, why is Amazon.de not an option for you?? The i-Con Nano would be €149+shipping+duty, which likely comes out to about €170 as it did for me, ordering from Switzerland (which also isn't EU). Way, way less than the Ersa online store, which would also be subject to shipping+duty.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 07:47:00 pm »
Again, why is Amazon.de not an option for you?? The i-Con Nano would be €149+shipping+duty, which likely comes out to about €170 as it did for me, ordering from Switzerland (which also isn't EU). Way, way less than the Ersa online store, which would also be subject to shipping+duty.

Sure, Amazon.de is an option as well, but I ended up with a totally different cost of € 212 from them (I went through the whole ordering process before actually paying), and that's without the taxes (25%) and import duties to be paid when I receive the package here. The total cost will then be around € 280/US$ 310 which is more than the € 260/US$ 288 from the Ersa online store. Seems like a quality soldering station though, and "Made in Germany" instead of the usual China doesn't make it any worse  ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:48:54 pm by analogix »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »
analogix, just keep in mind that there are suppliers in Norway too, they can often be a bit cheaper after you add VAT+shipping+import fee etc.

A good source is here: https://www.elfaelektronikk.no/elfa3~no_no/elfa/init.do?toc=19658&orderBy=PRICE_SORTER&sortOrder=asc&filterClause=&pageSize=10

Those prices are without VAT, so you will be paying 25% more. Free shipping though.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 08:27:09 pm »
Elfa is quite a pricey place to go in my experience (didn't know about the free shipping though -I tried ordering a multimeter from a week ago but I didn't get a free shipping option so perhaps it's for goods over a certain cost), but I clicked on the link in your post anyway and came across a clearance sale for a Weller WSD-81 for NOK 892 (€ 97/US$ 108) with taxes while the normal price was NOK 3355 (around € 367/US$ 407) so that's a huge saving, but is it worth getting compared to the ones discussed so far (the Ersa Nano seems to be the best choice judging by the comments I've received so far).

UPDATE: Bummer!  >:( Just tried to order and was told they didn't have it any longer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:32:45 pm by analogix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf