Author Topic: Converting a normally open pushbutton to normally closed  (Read 15091 times)

Offline fubar.grTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
Converting a normally open pushbutton to normally closed
« on: August 17, 2016, 06:47:49 am »
I've found a nice looking pushbutton that I would like to use in a project, but it comes in NO only and my application calls for a NC switch.

So I thougt of using a transistor to convert it to NC like this:

Two questions:

1) Is directly shorting the transistor base to ground going to damage the transistor? Should I add a small value resistor in series with the switch?

2) Is there a simpler way to convert a NO switch to NC?

Offline EPTech

• Regular Contributor
    • EP Technical Services
Re: Converting a normally open pushbutton to normally closed
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:49:09 am »
Hi there,

To my knowledge that would be the most basic inverter.

If it Rload is the actual load you are switching, I would use a FET instead of a transistor. FET's are more suited for switching applications. they have a lot less voltage drop and hence they will waste a lot less power into heat. With FET's you can easily use a gate resistor that is 10 times bigger (even bigger 100k) than your base resistor to keep it turned on. Shorting gate to source in case of a FET should not cause you problems. Shorting base to emitter is also fine.

If you are planning to use (long) wires from the switch to the circuit, it is also not a bad idea to put a small cap (1nF) from gate to GND, as close a possible to the FET to improve noise immunity. Better even to use a standard tranzil of about 15V. It will protect te gate and it has sufficient capacity, so two for the price of one.
Kind greetings,

Pascal.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:56:03 am »
I would use a relay is the current for the load is in the order of amps.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:59:52 am »
The load is actually the coil of a relay!

I am trying to make a self latching relay like this: http://www.electronics-micros.com/img/electronics/self-latching-circuit1.jpg

It is a tiny relay and the coil uses just 16 mA.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 11:01:37 am »
Don't forget the freewheeling diode then!

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:58:53 am »
1) Is directly shorting the transistor base to ground going to damage the transistor? Should I add a small value resistor in series with the switch?
No, the transistor will be fine. What the switch will do is divert the current that would flow into the base of the transistor to ground and turn off the transistor.
No need for another resistor, the 2K resistor should limit the flow of current to 6mA

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 12:12:17 pm »
Can you use the n/o contacts of the relay and dispense with the inverter circuit?

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:22:53 pm »
to add values to the existing replies... i know most love electronically inclined, thats why i'm the minority love mechanical... 0mA leakage (base) current, 0V Vce (sat) @ normally 10A (bidirectional!), hFe Inf (sat), parallelable without any thermal runaway issue, and free clicking sound that otherwise the electronically inclined has to source an mcu, an eeprom, an bjt, an buzzer, an smd resistors bla3x to simulate so...

2) Is there a simpler way to convert a NO switch to NC?
1) yes if i have the switch in front of me...
2) yes, buy another NC switch...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:25:25 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:27:15 am »
Can you use the n/o contacts of the relay and dispense with the inverter circuit?

No, you need the two buttons to be independent from the relay contacts. The idea behind a self-latching relay circuit like that is that you use one of the relay contacts to feed its own coil.

So you momentarily energize the coil by pushing the NO button. This makes the relay contact to close. When you release the NO button the coil is kept energized by current flowing through the relay contact and the relay is kept latched.

To turn it off you need a NC button that is connected in series with the relay coil. Pushing that button cuts the current to the coil, the relay contact opens and the relay unlatches.

It is very similar in operation to a RS flip-flop.

I will make a video demonstration when I finally build the board.

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 01:40:51 pm »
Noob here:
Wouldn't a PNP do the trick?
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 01:56:14 pm »
The whole point of a latching relay circuit is to avoid using any active devices (except possibly diodes), otherwise you might as well use a NE555 wired as a S-R flipflop!

Use *DOUBLE* the relay's nominal coil voltage as your supply voltage.  Add a resistor equal to the coil resistance in series with the coil.  Wire the N.O. Reset switch directly across the coil.  The N.C Reset switch in the schematics you linked to can then be replaced with a simple wire link.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf