Author Topic: Converting Elenco XP-720 to 240V  (Read 2004 times)

Offline IrukanjiTopic starter

• Contributor
Converting Elenco XP-720 to 240V
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:53:30 am »
Hello,

1st time post, I ran into a bit of a pickle. I was reading the forums and found the XP-720 was well regarded as a cheap, modable power supply which would do everything I needed. I bought it in kit form.

Anyway fast forward a few days, I've been reading more about it and the little voice in the back of my head was correct; it only runs on 110-130V...fml. $65 + 25 shipping I can't refund, so I'll be doing it the hard way. An option is to purchase a cheap power pack for 240V to 110V, but I was wondering if there was a smaller solution which would fit inside the case?

From reading the manual, it is 110-130V in with 17VAC and 8VAC out to power the rest of the circuitry.

I guess the question is, has anybody attempted this? Is there a transformer which can take 240V and spit out 17VAC and 8VAC? Would I be better off just getting an external 240V to 110V "step down" transformer?

Sorry for being a noob, I was hoping this power supply could teach me some more about how the various circuits work, but it looks like I'm going to get a lesson even before I get there....

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Converting Elenco XP-720 to 240V
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:26:53 pm »
Note that the 17VAC is a dual 17VAC (i.e., 34VAC center-tapped), one each for the +15V and -15V variable outputs.
So, to supply those outputs as well as the 5V fixed output, you will need to find a triple output transformer.
Here's an example of one:
http://mcitransformer.com/i_4-06_2.html
This is a USA company, not sure if their products are available overseas, but someone out there probably makes a similar product.  Of course, you need to make sure you find one with sufficient current output for the task.  The ones I linked to look a little weak (only max 500mA at 15V).

Note that the Elenco transformer also has extra taps on the 17VAC secondaries for the 12.6VAC center-tapped outputs.  I don't think you'll ever find a non-custom transformer that will include those.  So, you will lose that function when you replace the transformer  :(

Offline IrukanjiTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »
I can't win lol. Might just go the step-down transformer for 240 to 110V and be done with it. It'd save a lot of hassle, and as you mentioned I doubt I'd find an off-the-shelf transformer like the one in the kit. I guess one day I'll know what voltages and current I use the most and make a simple circuit using an LM317 or similar.

Things I've learned today; read the datasheet before deciding, it's never easy being green, and the LM317 is a nice little IC which I will experiment with when I can pick some up from the shop.

Offline Whuffo

• Regular Contributor
  • An American Living In Paradise
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 05:15:26 pm »
If you don't have step-down transformers to convert 240 to 120 already, one or more of these is a wise investment. I've got four of them; two are used regularly.

Just keep in mind that they're autotransformers and don't provide any isolation. That may or may not be a problem; beware!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf