Author Topic: Copying an existing small PCB board??  (Read 4671 times)

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
Copying an existing small PCB board??
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:39:38 pm »
I have a small edge connected PCB from a now working Farnell power supply unit. (Thanks Jerry, "fankl" on this forum). I have another, bigger, 50 amp, 60 volt Farnell supply I bought dirt cheap that I think has a shorted pass transistor and this board is also missing. The missing board is identical to the one in the working, smaller power supply though. I am unsure how to duplicate it. Whether to photograph it and try and create a photo resist template, and etch a copy?  I am familiar with the photo resist manufacturing process at the hobby level and have done several boards successfully, but  from existing commercial artwork. Or should I attempt to hand draw the tracks on photo resist, with etch resistant pen, and etch? Or to make it on Veroboard and hard wire the edge connectors? I would prefer to do a proper copy onto photo resist, to be frank. Does anyone know the likelihood of converting a decent photo of the single sided board's tracks into a pure black and white image I could print on to the clear photo resist paper? I am hopeless at art work using computer graphics programmes, but even more hopeless at hand drawing ;)

I have put photos of both sides of the board at http://www.chriswilson.tv/experiment1.jpg and http://www.chriswilson.tv/experiment2.jpg  in case they are too big to attach here.

Thanks.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
Re: Copying an existing small PCB board??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:58:35 pm »
It's one sided and fairly large through hole components only. So this should work nicely:

- Put the board on a flat bet scanner or photocopier
- Experiment on paper to
---- a) make sure it will do a 1:1 size ratio copy
---- b) set the hue, saturation and contrast right for the tracks to show as negatives
- Copy it on transparent foil
- Use the foil as mask for your photo resist

Should be the easiest and quickest way for a one off. Transparent foils are easy to come by and I guess you already have broads with resist on them and the developer for those. So very cheap as well.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:06:26 pm by con-f-use »

Offline Unixon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:30 pm »
If you want perfect result, reverse engineering and redesigning the board in EDA may be considered a viable option (IMO).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:30:18 pm »
I'm with con-f-use on this one, although you will need to tidy up the existing PCB.
You might need to suck some solder off the pads where clearances are tight and also snip component leads where they lay over.
The fiddly bit will be drilling, as you will not have a center guide.

Having an artwork program, I would redo/update the layout, however it is not at all a dense or complex PCB and his process or similar should work just fine.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:06 pm »
Indeed, just redraw the board in an EDA tool. It would look much better and considering the simplicity of the thing, you will likely have faster and better result than trying to copy it using a scanner or something like that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »
For completion I thought I'd post how I got on. I don't have a scanner, and am hopeless with PC based digital artwork applications, so I traced the tracks onto clear acetate film, using an overhead projector pen (Lumocolour 318, in black). I then used photo resist broad and my UV box to transfer to the PCB. Whilst it's not the prettiest thing in the world it should be functional. it fits the edge connector socket, and in case anyone spots the (deliberate? :)) mistake, I have moved the electrolytic to its correct one set of holes lower on the board. Just awaiting the rest of the components to fully populate it now, cheers guys!
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:05:09 pm »
Yep that's ugly. But it does not matter for the intended application.
Shame you did not challenge yourself to have a go with a PCB program. An EASY board like this would have been perfect to start with. You might have even gone to a mix of TH & SMD.
I see you have tinned the tracks, you could have used a PCB lacquer, some of them are solder through, perfect for protecting homemade PCB's before & after you populate them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:20:34 pm »
I would love to have a go with a PCB design programme, but I have a use for this supply, so I need to just get it up and running. I may well have a play either making a better looking one, or something else in due course. Got much to learn, and would love to see how novice friendly these programmes are. Cheers.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:05:50 am »
Ugly?  For hand drawn, not too bad honestly.  I think it's pretty cool 8)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »

Tim
I second this.  In my opinion it's pretty good work!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:36:31 pm »

Tim

Thanks, and more to the point, it's now fully populated and working :)

I would have loved it to look more "professional", but as long as it's reliable and works I doubt anyone bar here and myself, will know it's a bit naff :)
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 04:21:39 pm »
Get some printers ink, paint the traces then put a piece of paper on something softish and push the board onto the paper any wire protruding will push through the paper allowing the traces to contact evenly then just photo copy the print and touch up the copy as required.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 04:26:52 pm »
If you want to clean it up you can wick away the excess solder on the traces. You'll never remove it all, so you usually end up with a thin, even solder layer over the copper. It can look pretty neat.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 05:07:46 pm »
Well done! You'll need to do something with the connector slot to prevent those copper traces to oxidate.

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:37 pm »

Tim

Thanks, and more to the point, it's now fully populated and working :)

I would have loved it to look more "professional", but as long as it's reliable and works I doubt anyone bar here and myself, will know it's a bit naff :)

Don't be so hard on yourself, you did a wonderful job.  One thing that comes to mind that I wonder about.  I've never tried it, but I wonder if the photo resist method or something else would work on the top side of a board like that?  It would be nice to have a "silk screen" to at least identify parts on the top side.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf