Author Topic: Crossing Traces  (Read 2479 times)

Offline SnikwahTopic starter

• Contributor
Crossing Traces
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:54:12 am »
Hi All

I am new to this forum. I am relatively new to Diptrace. I had the freeware version for a while and recently purchased the Standard Edition.

I am wondering if there are any options for crossing traces? My preference is to "jump" a crossing trace rather than simply overlapping. Does anyone know of any option for traces? I can't seem to fined any.

Thanks for your time.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
Re: Crossing Traces
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »
I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you try to rephrase it or add more details? I know Diptrace pretty well, as do a couple of other folks here, so I'm sure someone here can probably help you do what you need to do.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 12:28:36 pm »
I get the feeling you are talking about simgle sided board layout, probably home etched?

If so, i generally treat as a double side with just straight via-to-via traces on the off-side which in fabricating i use wire links, or when possible i use a 1206 0R footprint with a "jumper" segment connecting both pads.

The 1206 trick is handy but it does mean if you update from schematic those 1206's go away, so it can be better to just use 2 vias and a bavk side trace set apart suitable you can just remember to solder a 1206 on instead of jumper wire (I wish we could have rectangular shaped via pads).
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:16:58 pm »
I think they're talking about when a trace crosses another on the schematic drawing. Instead of going straight across with dot or no dot for connection, what is wanted is the old style where a "hump" is drawn where the trace crosses over if not connected.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:33:53 pm »
Oh, that makes sense. The answer is there's no way to do it. You should get used to the idea that a dot means connection and no dot means no connection, though. This is the modern way and is mostly what you'll see.

Offline homebrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 03:51:14 pm »
Oh, that makes sense. The answer is there's no way to do it. You should get used to the idea that a dot means connection and no dot means no connection, though. This is the modern way and is mostly what you'll see.

And, just to add, in a good schematic you should not see a 4-way joint. The reason is that even if the dot is not clearly visible (i.e. bad photocopies) the meaning it is always syntactically defined. Hence crossing wires are always crossing and never connecting!

Offline SnikwahTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:00:13 am »
Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, I must apologise for the vague nature of my post and indeed the lack of relevance. I have a confession to make. A lack of sleep,  long work hours and having two forums open (this one and diptrace) at the same time resulted in a brain fart which led me to posting this in the wrong forum.

Secondly, I have to say that despite my apparent lack of mental alertness, a number of you managed to decipher my cryptic message and provide and appropriate answer.

Thank you again to all that answered and it looks as though I will have to simply get used to the idea of traces crossing in schematics instead of using a trace "hop". I'll still double check with the diptrace people but it looks as though the software doesn't give the option.

Regards
Brad

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:02:34 am by Snikwah »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf