Author Topic: crying Newbie  (Read 8029 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: crying Newbie
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2018, 02:36:14 am »
I hope your policy covers the equipment.  I've come across several home and contents insurance policies that get a bit particular once you step outside the regular household stuff like a fridge, lounge, clothing, etc.  There is sometimes an allowance of X amount for things like collections and hobbies, but if you have more than that, you have to detail what it is you want covered.  They then calculate an extra component for your premium.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2018, 02:41:43 am »
I hope your policy covers the equipment.  I've come across several home and contents insurance policies that get a bit particular once you step outside the regular household stuff like a fridge, lounge, clothing, etc.  There is sometimes an allowance of X amount for things like collections and hobbies, but if you have more than that, you have to detail what it is you want covered.  They then calculate an extra component for your premium.
In that case it's time to get creative. An oscilloscope is a terrible yet expensive radio. A multimeter is a battery tester. A soldering iron is a wildly ineffective clothes iron or some strange cooking implement.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2018, 05:18:41 am »
In that case it's time to get creative. An oscilloscope is a terrible yet expensive radio. A multimeter is a battery tester. A soldering iron is a wildly ineffective clothes iron or some strange cooking implement.

I did listen to radio on my spectrum analyzer by connecting a speaker to the detector output BNC on the back. Works rather well actually.

There are also often limits to how much they pay up. We didn't read the fine print carefully enough and we had lightning blow up the control electronics in the heat pump outside. There is a lot in there including a 4kW VFD to run the compressor at variable speed, the repair bill ended up to 1400€ but then the insurance company said that they only cover up to 1000€ so the other 400€ was from our pocket. Still better than nothing but we went to a different insurance company after that and clearly asked them about this coverage amount upfront(I think it is 20 grand now).

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2018, 07:19:16 am »

There can be disadvantages if they spot that and deny the claim.

Over here when you take out insurance of any sort, they often ask whether you have ever had an insurance claim refused. If you answer "yes", then the cherry-picking algorithm comes into effect.

If you didn't disclose such a "material fact", then you would pay the insurance fee and get an insurance document. But if you had to make a claim, at that point they would look at your history, see you had lied when taking out the insurance, and declare the policy void. Bit awkward if that is travel insurance :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:33:49 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2018, 07:26:20 am »
There can be disadvantages if they spot that and deny the claim.

Over here when you take out insurance of any sort, they often ask whether you have ever had an insurance claim refused. If you answer "yes", then the cherry-picking algorithm comes into effect.

If you didn't disclose such a "material fact", then you would pay the insurance fee and get an insurance document. But if you had to make a claim, at that point they would look at your history, see you had lied when taking out the insurance, and declare the policy void. But awkward if that is travel insurance :)
I assumed it was pretty obvious that I was joking and that I'm not advocating insurance fraud. If there was any doubt: don't commit insurance fraud.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf