Author Topic: DC Circuit Theory Question - Any help?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline rdbanksTopic starter

• Contributor
DC Circuit Theory Question - Any help?
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:33:13 pm »
Hi all!

My name is Ryan, I'm a EE student in the UK and have been a follower of the EEV channel for many years - I'm new to the forum and thought I'd ask the question as this is driving me mad! Its a simple past exam question (have an exam on Wednesday) and its pulled from the multiple-choice section - I've emailed the lecture however its 23:30 here and I doubt he'll reply. I'm pretty confident with DC theory however this has left me stumped - maybe its late and i'm drained  |O or maybe, just maybe I've got it correct.. Please see the picture for reference.

I've calculated that (Question 9) - R1 = 36(ohms) however that doesn't appear to be an answer... and Question 10 - V1 = 36V.

My assumption is R3 = 20V, 10(ohms), 2A  (this is in parallel with the resistor to the right) therefore 'i2' = 4A. Considering 'Is' = 5A, 'I1' = 1A.
Therefore, V1 = ('i2'*( ((10*R3)/(10+R3)) + (2+2)) ) = ('4'*( ((10*10)/(10+10)) + (2+2)) ) = ('4'*( 5 + 4 )) = 36V (R1 and the rest to the right are in parallel thus same voltage).

Knowing V1 = 36V, R1 =36V/1A = 36(ohms)

Then for Question 10, V1 = 36V (as calculated above).

I must be wrong as the questions are from a previous examination paper... ???

I know there are a lot of highly experiences guys & girls here, to be honest, I've never signed up (although i've been on this forum as a guest for year) due to being a little afraid of comments such as "if you can't work that out god help you!!" haha - please go easy on me...

Thanks ALL!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:59:00 pm by rdbanks »

• Contributor
Re: DC Circuit Theory Question - Any help?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:39:57 pm »
Simulating it in Proteus give me the same answers, therefore if i'm wrong it must be due to having calculated R3 incorrectly...

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 12:02:23 am »
Although exam papers are carefully checked, they are not miraculously free of misprints.

Your reasoning appears to be sound and your SPICE simulation in Proteus gives the same results, so I would suspect a defective question or answer set.

The following users thanked this post: rdbanks

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:10:55 am »
I was thinking this however, considering it was an exam question I'm finding it hard to trust my understanding and workings - We haven't been given any solution for this paper so can't check our answers... I just dont want to think I have the correct method and understanding only to go on to make mistakes with this misinformation - especially as I'm first year and to me this is the foundation of what I'm going on to learn over the next few years...

Thank you for your comment though!!  :-+

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:18:16 am »
It must be a typo. I get 36V and therefore 36\$\Omega\$

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:26:48 am »
I also just calculated the answer without reference to any previous workings and I get 36 V for V1, 1 A through R1, and thus 36 ohms for R1. My guess is that there is a typo in the paper.

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech, rdbanks

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:48:25 am »
I also just calculated the answer without reference to any previous workings and I get 36 V for V1, 1 A through R1, and thus 36 ohms for R1. My guess is that there is a typo in the paper.

Ditto, but in doing so I got 10R for R3 - which makes me suspect that R3 was supposed to be the reference in Q9.

Oh, and rdbanks - welcome.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:51:08 am by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: rdbanks

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 01:01:37 am »
Ditto, but in doing so I got 10R for R3 - which makes me suspect that R3 was supposed to be the reference in Q9.

Yes! That makes sense.

The 10\(\Omega\) applies to the far right resistor, and R3 is unknown. Then V3 is 2 x 10 = 20 V, whereupon R3 = 20^2 / 40 = 10\(\Omega\), which is what Q9 was presumably asking for.

After that the solution follows to the left arriving in logical steps at V1.

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech, rdbanks

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:21:00 am »
Cerebus, IanB - That would make sense - As i've arrived to V1 before R1 therefore as they are both unknowns, Question 9 was likely asking for R3 which I calculated as 10(ohms) - Ideal!!

Ian.M, Andy Watson, IanB, Cerebus - Thank you!

You guys have been excellent! I am genuinely grateful that you've all taken time to reply!

I'll post back with the lectures answer! :D

Thanks again!! 

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:10:17 am »
Lecture replied, the answer is correct, a mistake in the exam paper...

Thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf