Author Topic: Suggestions for a High Powered Signal Amplifier?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline michaelrTopic starter

• Contributor
Suggestions for a High Powered Signal Amplifier?
« on: December 02, 2017, 09:09:25 pm »
Any suggestions for an High Powered Signal Amplifier?

I'm back on the market for a power amplifier, after burning up an audio amplifier rated for at least 150 Watts per channel (1,500 Watts peak).  It produced just 33.2 Watts of power, at 100% Gain, with an 1.54Vp-p, 400 Hz, sine wave input.  I naively expected to perform tests with at least 10x times that amount of power, but the hardware apparently had its' limitations.
www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/amplifier-is-toast-why/

What type of amplifiers are best suited for this type of work?  Which are the most affordable?  I'm on a budget you know...

THANKS!   

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Suggestions for a High Powered Signal Amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 09:17:55 pm »
Not sure what you are trying to achieve but Hypex.nl has fun stuff ;)

The following users thanked this post: michaelr

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:37:18 pm »

Thanks!  I'll check them out. 

I'm looking for an amplifier that can replicate a low frequency signal reasonably well, at high power levels, for power "engineering."  One kilowatt of sustainable power would be sweet.  My autotransformer puts out 2kW, but is limited to one signal...Sine @ 60Hz/110V RMS.   As I am on a tight budget and have a history of frying equipment, I'd prefer to stick with something on the lower end of the price spectrum, even if it means sacrificing power, for now.  But am interested in any all comments and suggestions on the topic.  I'm a beginner and learning! :)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:45:28 pm »
All depends on the budget, off course.

But they can sustain the power as long as you can cool them.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:49:19 pm »
Second hand Crown Macrotec, old, and so bloody heavy that the audio production industry dropped them like a hot rock as soon as class D became a thing, but damn near indestructible.

I used a bridged MA5000VZ as a 120V 60Hz power supply for a tone wheel organ at a gig once (Band had failed to tell us that the 120V needed to be 60Hz not 50!).

Most PA stuff is thermally designed around a 1/8th duty cycle which is ample for music, AC Power, not so much, also capacitive loads can be a bit of a problem if it gets excessive.

Regards, Dan.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:45:56 pm »

I'm looking for an amplifier that can replicate a low frequency signal reasonably well, at high power levels, for power "engineering."  One kilowatt of sustainable power would be sweet.  My autotransformer puts out 2kW, but is limited to one signal...Sine @ 60Hz/110V RMS.   As I am on a tight budget and have a history of frying equipment, I'd prefer to stick with something on the lower end of the price spectrum, even if it means sacrificing power, for now.  But am interested in any all comments and suggestions on the topic.  I'm a beginner and learning! :)
Your auto transformer is not an amplifier and it can run at other frequencies, so long as the volts/hertz, temperature or insulation ratings aren't exceeded. It will quite happily run off 30Hz 55V or 120Hz 220V, without any problems! Of course, the insulation will limit the upper voltage it can run off and the core losses increase at higher frequencies, causing increased heating, so there's a limit to how far it can be pushed.

Anyway, back to the original question: what's your end goal? An audio amplifier will do, so you certainly were on the right track. It's something which you can build yourself but is not a beginner project. I suggest talking to a manufacturer.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:39:43 am »
Second hand Crown Macrotec, old, and so bloody heavy that the audio production industry dropped them like a hot rock as soon as class D became a thing, but damn near indestructible.

I used a bridged MA5000VZ as a 120V 60Hz power supply for a tone wheel organ at a gig once (Band had failed to tell us that the 120V needed to be 60Hz not 50!).

Most PA stuff is thermally designed around a 1/8th duty cycle which is ample for music, AC Power, not so much, also capacitive loads can be a bit of a problem if it gets excessive.

Regards, Dan.

That is awesome. Ha!  Those amplifiers do look stout.  I could use indestructible. :)

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 01:13:57 am »

Your auto transformer is not an amplifier and it can run at other frequencies, so long as the volts/hertz, temperature or insulation ratings aren't exceeded. It will quite happily run off 30Hz 55V or 120Hz 220V, without any problems! Of course, the insulation will limit the upper voltage it can run off and the core losses increase at higher frequencies, causing increased heating, so there's a limit to how far it can be pushed.

Anyway, back to the original question: what's your end goal? An audio amplifier will do, so you certainly were on the right track. It's something which you can build yourself but is not a beginner project. I suggest talking to a manufacturer.

Great info on auto transformers!  I'll definitely be sure to keep their extended capabilities in mind.

It would be fun to build an amplifier, and may very well do so one day, but I agree with your suggestions.

Thanks!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 11:58:31 pm »
Also, take a look at (used) vibration table drivers (Bruel&Kjaer, Schenck...)

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 12:40:20 am »
Also, take a look at (used) vibration table drivers (Bruel&Kjaer, Schenck...)

I can see the potential. Thanks for the suggestion!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf